Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Shift Coupler removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Van914
Help me! Before I get the BFH out smash.gif
How do you get the shift coupler off the rear shift rod? Hammer and punch or press?
Thanks
Van
jt914-6
You are talking about the coupler at the firewall aren't you? If so, have you loosened the set screw on the coupler? I would assume so and if you did, try some penetrating fluid and try again. Be careful as the coupler is aluminum.
Tom
If you are talking about the front coupler on the rear shift rod, then a proper sized socket under the coupler and a gentle tap or three with a hammer and punch should get the pin out. I have heard of some being pretty difficult and others may chime in here, but, the coupler is aluminum, so guess what will break first.
Good luck. I did a thread on here a few years ago about making some home made bushing that you can search and find if you have an interest. I found new stock bushings a little loose due to wear of the rod and coupler.
Tom
Van914
Tom,
Yea, thats what I am trying to do. I need to change the rod since I intalled the six motor.
Thanks
Van
Bartlett 914
Do not loosen the screw. Remove it!
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Tom @ May 15 2009, 06:56 AM) *

If you are talking about the front coupler on the rear shift rod, then a proper sized socket under the coupler and a gentle tap or three with a hammer and punch should get the pin out. I have heard of some being pretty difficult and others may chime in here, but, the coupler is aluminum, so guess what will break first.
Good luck. I did a thread on here a few years ago about making some home made bushing that you can search and find if you have an interest. I found new stock bushings a little loose due to wear of the rod and coupler.
Tom

agree.gif Did it in my driveway just the other day. Takes a couple good whacks but after the pin starts to move it comes out real easy. Stock bushings seemed fine to me, but my setup was in pretty good shape, I probably didn't even need to replace those bushings but I had them so... smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.