Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding a 2.0 for a street car need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TwinTurbo914
Hey guys im helping out a friend rebuild his 73 2.0. The engine ran when it was removed, but he wants a little more performance out of it. He is switching over to carburetion. He is on sort of a budget, not a bux up build, but he doesn't want to cut any corners. What should he do for the best bang for the buck, and any recommendations of what parts to run and where the best place to get them at would be great.

Thanks ahead to everyone and your opionion is valued.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(TwinTurbo914 @ May 15 2009, 09:07 AM) *

Hey guys im helping out a friend rebuild his 73 2.0. The engine ran when it was removed, but he wants a little more performance out of it. He is switching over to carburetion. He is on sort of a budget, not a bux up build, but he doesn't want to cut any corners. What should he do for the best bang for the buck, and any recommendations of what parts to run and where the best place to get them at would be great.

Thanks ahead to everyone and your opionion is valued.

Lot's of information, try using the search option....

But the most often suggested is change the fuel injecttion cam to one set up for carbs, don't change to or use hydraulic lifters and get a header....
yeahmag
I have a Raby Cam (9050 if memory serves), 40mm Dell's, 96mm P/C's, and a Bursch Header. The rest is, more or less, stock 2.0 stuff...

Affordable, driveable, and quick. Love it.

jmill
He can save some bucks and keep the FI. Call Jake Raby for his FI cam kit. Go with the Euro spec P/C's and upgrade the exhaust.

Not swapping to carbs will save you $700. Carbs won't help you much unless you go big on the P/C's and don't want to spend the cash on upgrading the FI.
yeahmag
Not necessarily true, but I do agree that he can get some good bang for the buck that way...

Carb's allow you to radically change the cam profile - like adding overlap.
yeahmag
...and remember. Used is your friend! The only "new" big ticket items in/on my engine is the cam, lifters, and bearings (aside from other misc.).
jmill
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 15 2009, 12:53 PM) *

Not necessarily true, but I do agree that he can get some good bang for the buck that way...

Very true. Are there hp figures out there comparing the 9550 and FI to one of Jakes carb cams and 40's on a 2.0 or 2056? Is it worth it?
yeahmag
Ping Jake. He would be the authority...
EdwardBlume
As a street car, I'd stick with FI over carbs. A 2056 is nice if done right. There's nothing wrong with FI as long as it works. Whereas carbs can require tuning, and idle may be rough. Exhaust can get pricey depending on choices, but a Bursch works great especially if you want to keep heat, and it sounds good too. I like a JWest shifter, and then some reasonable suspension mods.
orange914
QUOTE(jmill @ May 15 2009, 10:43 AM) *

Very true. Are there hp figures out there comparing the 9550 and FI to one of Jakes carb cams and 40's on a 2.0 or 2056? Is it worth it?

we went 2056 d-jet w/ 9550 cam and l/n modified heads. took it out today for it's 1st big 170 mile run... i love it! they say 115 to 120 h.p. and it feels night @ day over the orig. 1.7 piratenanner.gif it's not dialed in yet and still got 26 m.p.g. cruised smoother than silk 250* to 300* (pulling a freeway incline @80mph/3700 rpm, apx. 80+* outside)

i've heard of 2056's being built for $2500 but i've got $5k in it. do the "buy good used parts game" here, but don't short cut having the MPS tuned AND 9550 cam if you d-jet it.

SUMMERY: it's not a dragster but to todays h.p./weight for a fun/m.p.g. sporty car. it was a pain but i'm glad we ran d-jet (daily driver status)

mike
Bleyseng
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 15 2009, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ May 15 2009, 10:43 AM) *

we went 2056 d-jet w/ 9550 cam and l/n modified heads. took it out today for it's 1st big 170 mile run... i love it! they say 115 to 120 h.p. and it feels night @ day over the orig. 1.7 piratenanner.gif it's not dialed in yet and still got 26 m.p.g. cruised smoother than silk 250* to 300* (pulling a freeway incline @80mph/3700 rpm, apx. 80+* outside)

i've heard of 2056's being built for $2500 but i've got $5k in it. do the "buy good used parts game" here, but don't short cut having the MPS tuned AND 9550 cam if you d-jet it.

SUMMERY: it's not a dragster but to todays h.p./weight for a fun/m.p.g. sporty car. it was a pain but i'm glad we ran d-jet (daily driver status)

mike

Was that the MPS I tuned for you?
orange914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 15 2009, 02:17 PM) *

Was that the MPS I tuned for you?

yeah, YOU DA' MAN! thanks. i think it may be a bit rich but i'd rather it run i tad rich on break in anyway. i,ve p.m.ed mcmark(?) about o2 sensor and tuning it all in later.

mike
Bleyseng
26MPG is good along with all that new hp..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.