Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock Rear Spring Rate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I would like to know the stock rear spring rate for a 74 914 2.0 w/ perforomance package.. the black springs with the green paint....
EdwardBlume
I think stock is 100lbs. After 34 years?
Larry.Hubby
I believe all the 4 cylinder cars had 88 lb/in rear springs as stock items.
bandjoey
what do the colored strips mean on the springs? Green? yellow?
Dave_Darling
According to an old Up-Fixin Der Porsche article, the stock springs could be as stiff as 65 lb/in. I think most were less.

--DD
74914LE
This brings up a great question. How do you tell what the rating is on the springs mounted in a particular car? I recently baught a car that I know has much stiffer
than stock springs, but other than the fact that the fillings in my teeth are loose,
how can it be determined? Number of coils/OD of the spring/Un-mounted length?

The 100lb springs always seemed about right when matched with Koni or Bilstein, but what I have now, must be way north of that rating
SirAndy
QUOTE(74914LE @ May 21 2009, 09:20 PM) *

This brings up a great question. How do you tell what the rating is on the springs mounted in a particular car? I recently baught a car that I know has much stiffer
than stock springs, but other than the fact that the fillings in my teeth are loose,
how can it be determined? Number of coils/OD of the spring/Un-mounted length?

The 100lb springs always seemed about right when matched with Koni or Bilstein, but what I have now, must be way north of that rating

Your shocks don't happen to be white, are they?
idea.gif Andy
74914LE
The set on the car are Black, with White KYB shocks.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(74914LE @ May 22 2009, 08:02 PM) *

with White KYB shocks.....

That's why the fillings in your teeth are loose ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
SLITS
KYB = Kill Your Back
orcadigital
Weren't there 3 spring rates from the factory, with 1, 2, or 3 green dots? They ranged from 65 to 96lbs i "thought".
BMXerror
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2009, 09:27 PM) *

KYB = Kill Your Back

Agreed! I had KYBs with floppy silly putty springs of some sort on them when I bought the car. Then this year I went to Konis and 200 pound rear springs, and my ride got smoother! dry.gif Hijack over.
Mark D.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(74914LE @ May 21 2009, 09:20 PM) *

This brings up a great question. How do you tell what the rating is on the springs mounted in a particular car?

Step 1: Remove them from the car.
Step 2: Put them on a spring tester.
Step 3: Read the results.

You can change out steps 2 & 3 for putting weights on the springs and measuring their deflection, but it's a whole lot easier to take them to a shop with a tester.

--DD
ArtechnikA
/4's were "a little more than 50"
/6's were "about 60"
GT's were 70/80/90 soft/medium/hard

There are formulas for determining theoretical rates for steel coil springs - Carroll Smiths' and Paul Van Valkenburg's books have them. An old spring will probably have settled but that doesn't change its rate, just its free length.

The table of data with 'what the dots mean' can be found here: Charlie Davis' 914 spring rate web page
johnhora
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
mepstein
Stock front torsion bars, 100lb rear springs, Bilstein HD shocks and oem size sway bars make for great handling that is still very comfortable.

It's very common to see people up the spring rates because they think more is better but you don't get grip when the car is so stiff it bounces off the ground on every bump. It happens a lot in the 911 world because guys don't realize how increasing the torsion bar size ramps up the spring rate. So both ends get increased by 50-100% with just a couple mm change. Big sway bars also affect the ride as well as stiff bushings.

I've also lowered my tire pressure over the years since most psi suggestions are for heavier cars.
Mikey914
I'd agree the 100 for the stock 4 is perfect.
However there are those that have heavier motors. I know Eric used some 200s at one point, but the 140/160 I think is a good complement to the additional weight.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 25 2019, 01:05 PM) *

I'd agree the 100 for the stock 4 is perfect.
However there are those that have heavier motors. I know Eric used some 200s at one point, but the 140/160 I think is a good complement to the additional weight.

agree.gif I think Ben is using 140 on his 2.7 car and I have 160 on my 3.2 car and trying 180 on my Suby six. It's all subjective but I think guys are too quick to go to 21mm torsion bars on the front for a road car.
jmitro
EDIT nevermind; looks like someone bumped it as a search
porschetub
Mine are blue with no paint marks or writing PO said they are 100lb but he has told me other "stories" before dry.gif ,seem great what ever they are with my Bilsteins and a "6".
Mikey914
If they are factory I can guarantee they are not 100#.
Matty900
I started to put some spring information together when our 100# springscame out https://914rubber.com/eibach-914-rubber-springs
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here is a bit of a study our spring guy did Click to view attachment
tomeric914
Ghetto spring tester for springs with a rate less than 300lbs/inch:

1. Place bathroom scale on bottom plate of press

2. Place spring on bathroom scale

3. Place scrap 2x4 on top of spring under press

4. Zero bathroom scale

5. Compress spring 1"

6. Read bathroom scale
johnhora
For reference...
a pair of early springs off the same car...you can see the 2 green paint spots.
the top one is 4mm shorter....maybe from the driver side

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Nov 27 2019, 08:46 AM) *

Ghetto spring tester for springs with a rate less than 300lbs/inch:

1. Place bathroom scale on bottom plate of press

2. Place spring on bathroom scale

3. Place scrap 2x4 on top of spring under press

4. Zero bathroom scale

5. Compress spring 1"

6. Read bathroom scale

Don't know how much difference it makes, but I read it is best to compress 1" to preload the sprig first, take a reading, then compress another inch and subtract the two measurements. Here's my ghetto spring tester i action. Would have been better to use a cheaper scale. These fancy electronic scales are only good for telling you how fat you are.

IPB Image
maf914
Brent B, bbrock,

Interesting. Nice test rig. Did it bind up where the horizontal upper board slides on the vertical members? It seems that might give a false reading.

How did your spring rate? idea.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 27 2019, 04:07 PM) *

Brent B, bbrock,

Interesting. Nice test rig. Did it bind up where the horizontal upper board slides on the vertical members? It seems that might give a false reading.

How did your spring rate? idea.gif

No issues with binding. The mortises the uprights fit through were cut really loose (almost a half inch oversize). The uprights just held the top board in place enough to let me snug the nuts on the all-thread without flopping all over the place. The biggest problem was that stupid scale. It only reads for a few seconds so in the end, I wound up have to just heft the top board down with my own weight and quickly read the damn scale when I got down to the 1 or 2 inch mark. Springs tested at 50 lbs. give or take. I decided that was close enough to stock rates to clean them up and use them. Engine isn't in the car yet so we'll see. Based on the test result, I gave them one green dot. lol-2.gif

IPB Image
maf914
Brent, Thanks for the response. That is funny about the scale shutting down, especially after going to the trouble of building the test rig. wacko.gif Good work though.

BTW, Some time ago in the 90's I replaced the original sagging springs on my 76 with 100 lb Weltmeister springs (from Auto Atlanta) with red Koni shocks. They raised the ride height an inch or two. I should have measured before and after. But as for ride stiffness I couldn't really tell much difference.
tomeric914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 27 2019, 12:54 PM) *

Don't know how much difference it makes, but I read it is best to compress 1" to preload the sprig first, take a reading, then compress another inch and subtract the two measurements. Here's my ghetto spring tester i action. Would have been better to use a cheaper scale. These fancy electronic scales are only good for telling you how fat you are.

Yes, a good ol' mechanical scale is what I used. Stock springs aren't progressive so measuring just the first inch should yield the same rate per inch as the following 4". I recall taking measurements as far as the scale and jig would safely read just for giggles.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 28 2019, 05:31 AM) *

BTW, Some time ago in the 90's I replaced the original sagging springs on my 76 with 100 lb Weltmeister springs (from Auto Atlanta) with red Koni shocks. They raised the ride height an inch or two. I should have measured before and after. But as for ride stiffness I couldn't really tell much difference.

When I did the V8 conversion on my 76 I was hopeful the extra weight of the V8 would bring the ride height down to where it should be. It actually took it down too far (I know...if it's too low, I'm too old sad.gif ).

The Weltmeister 100 lb springs put it right where I wanted it...

IPB Image
bbrock
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Nov 28 2019, 08:46 AM) *

Yes, a good ol' mechanical scale is what I used. Stock springs aren't progressive so measuring just the first inch should yield the same rate per inch as the following 4". I recall taking measurements as far as the scale and jig would safely read just for giggles.

I had to check my notes to refresh my memory, but my springs measured lighter in the first inch. One spring measured 42 lbs. at 1 inch and 92 at 2 inches. (92 is minimum) It was really hard to get an accurate measurement at 3 inches with that stupid scale, but it appeared to be adding an additional 50ish pounds. No way could I squeeze those springs to 4" and get a reading.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.