Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crossbar linkage is too long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
I just installed 40mm dellortos and the crossbar is to long.Do I order the bake a lite spacers ,drill the 4 bolt spacers I have for 3 bolt intake or cut the bar and drill the cut end. .I really dont want to take the carbs off again.
ConeDodger
You must have the spacers Don, they insulate the intake and carbs as well as move the carbs slightly outboard.
914rat
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 16 2009, 10:07 AM) *

You must have the spacers Don, they insulate the intake and carbs as well as move the carbs slightly outboard.

I'm really hating the shop that built my engine right now for not installing them with the Webbers.Probably nothing wrong with the Webbers just an intake leak because they didn't install the insulators.I'll drill the 4 bolt insulators for the 3 bolt pattern and start over.I would prefer to do it right.
tomeric914
QUOTE(914rat @ May 16 2009, 12:38 PM) *

... or cut the bar and drill the cut end.

Cut the bar.

First, determine how much you need to cut off.

Then, using the existing hole as a guide, drill the bar the same amount that you need to cut. For example, if you need to shorten the bar by 1 inch, drill the hole 1 inch deeper first.

Lastly, cut the bar.
VaccaRabite
Do you have the spacers between the carbs and the block?

It sounds like you don't. Add the spacers and you will not need to cut the bar. Smear a *little* RVT on the spacer to help it seal to the head and carb base.
r_towle
Dellortos are better carbs than webers, so dont be mad about that.

You MUST have a phenolic spacer between the manifolds and the head or the manifold will heat up so much that it can and does boil the fuel in the carb...

The bar should be fine once you put in the spacers.

Rich
URY914
The bars come in several lengths. Put the spacers in than figure out what length bar you need.
ConeDodger
Guys - these were my carbs. I sold them to him. All he needs is the spacers. + I agree, he does need the spacers unless he wants to use his carbs as mass for the heat from his heads. Not a good thing.
914rat
I have owned this car since the early 90's and had a local shop build a 2056 for me back in 97. They did not install the insulators with the 44 webbers so I did not have them to install with the Dell's, they should have been on the car,there is also no fuel pressure regulator or pressure gauge installed with the Webbers.I have 3 pair of these for the 4 bolt intake but none for a 3 bolt.I'm gonna have to order and wait.Thank's all for the help,and explanation as to why they are necessary.It amazes me that I have been driving the car with boiling fuel all this time.I chose to switch over to the Dell's from studying these forums and better understanding that 44 Webbers are too big for a 2056 and Dells are better carbs plus I was having issues that I thought were a result of the Webbers needing rebuilt now I'm thinking it was probably a result of an intake leak because the engine builder did not install the spacers and the gaskets deteriorated.I took some measurements and decided to cut the bar,there is a hairline crack on one end that would probably be ok but there is enough adjustment in the ball pivots to allow for the spacers when I install them and at least I can mock the plumbing up and set up the throttle linkage and get the car running while I'm waiting.Rob has been a lot of help and given good dirrections on plumbing and installing the fuel pressure regulator and guage which should be an improvement as well.Once I have everything set up pulling the carbs and installing the insulators will be a 1 evening job.I work 6 days a week and have only evenings and Sunday to get any car time in.I hope to have the car running today.Next Sunday I'll install the insulators and the job will be complete.Wish me luck I'm headed out to the garage.
Katmanken
Count yer blessings...

Better too long than too short.

914rat
I cut off 3/4 in on the bar and have a good 5/8 adjustment per side so they will still work with the spacers.I drained tank,installed new fuel filter,installed pressure regulator,installed pressure guage,started her up!Runs pretty steady at 3 psi sitting in the driveway.installed Bilstein rear shocks and 100lb springs.I also got the linkage about 80% gotta make some changes but not by much.Gotta change the oil and it seems I have a squeeky caliper.Close to being on the road.I'm tired but It is almost ready to drive so it was worth the 12 hr day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.