Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visiting Jake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
My best friend is the proud owner of his first Porsche, a 996 and he has now heard of Jake Raby and knows Jake is doing stuff for those engines. He wants to visit him and has the means to do so, should we let those water cooled guys horn in Jake's time? Seriously I'm very happy for him, he is a hard working guy and has always been a Porsche fan, and he loves my 914 and was the first person I let drive it without supervision! Just finished having a great evening of dinner and drinks with him where he was strongly suggesting I join PCA. I thought we were kinda just tolerated there but please set me straight if I am wrong.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Joe Bob
DO a Google on "Massive Type IV".....bring cubic mega bucks....
ConeDodger
In the Sacramento Valley Region, 914 owners are just as accepted as everyone else. 914's regularly kick autocross butt and their victims are usually watercooled 98X and 99X cars. I know you know how to get ahold of Jake, I have seen your name in the kit owners forum... Bring your friend and visit Jake.
GeorgeRud
I've been a 30+ PCA member, and they have definitely changed the attitudes towards 914s (especially the 914-6). We were looked upon as the bastard stepchildren back in 1970, but that has changed (at least in the Chicago Region).

Give it a try and see if you like it. The Panorama magazine is pretty worthless for 914 owners, but the events can be a lot of fun. It really does matter on the people that make up the region.
Ian Stott
Actually my friend bought his car from the "Hairy Dog" guys in Conn. based on a recommendation from Chris Foley, that they were upstanding guys which has since proved to be very true. I am happy to hear the 914 is more accepted as a great car these days than in the past. I look forward to going on some of the drives that the Porsche Club has but was a bit reluctant if the narp factor was going to be an issue. I will post what transpires in the next few weeks as I am looking forward to a fun filled summerdriving my teener as soon as it is back from the body man who is repairing the dented fender that happened on Tuesday. And yes we will visit Jake hopefully with my down payment in hand but lobster for sure as I promised him a that a long time ago.

Ian Stott
Joe Bob
It depends on the region. When I first joined, total snub. The 356 guys were the worst. I think it was medical as most of them had no penises....

When I kicked their collective asses in AX it got better. I won the PCA Region title for my class, even though as most know, I have no class....

Now I run the AX and set up the course the way "I" like it.

orange914
QUOTE(mikez @ May 16 2009, 03:56 PM) *

It depends on the region. When I first joined, total snub. The 356 guys were the worst. I think it was medical as most of them had no penises....

When I kicked their collective asses in AX it got better. I won the PCA Region title for my class, even though as most know, I have no class....

av-943.gif
Jake Raby
Yeah, where is my damn Lobster??? JEEZ! ;-)

Yeah, bring your friend and come see us, the only week I won't be here is the week before July 4th..

Just give me a weeks notice so I can ensure we don't have any test work going on that can't be interrupted and make sure that I won't be neck deep assembling an engine..

We are just as heavily involved with the development and assembly of 914 engines in complete and engine kit form as ever before. The addition of the Porsche M96 engine here hasn't hampered any of that... The two engines don't share the same assembly or testing areas here..

Ian Stott
We will definetly call first Jake, and I am bringing lobster cause I promised quite a while ago. Had a financial setback which we have recovered from but of course that doesn't happen overnight. Michel and I will show you how to eat a lobster properly as we are Maritimers and have a responsibility to pass this knowledge on, and since you were a Marine and I was Air Force I may even fit in a quick blurb on how to use utensils! (Ha, sorry couldn't resist.) Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Jake Raby
Cool... Come see me when you are ready and just contact me the week prior and we'll go from there.

I welcome you into my world... I can taste the Lobster already!!!
70Sixter
In case some of you did not get his reference to M96s, Jake's M96 work is making him as well respected in that community as he has been in the Type 4 world. Along with Charles Navarro on LN Engineering.

As one who expects to keep both my Porsches for a long time, it is stress relief to know he can fix and improve my Boxster should the engine grenade.

And I'll still have "matching numbers."
Jake Raby
Thanks Mike!!
We are blazing new trails with the M96, but it has been a painful road as this engine is nothing easy to work with..

As I type this I see that one of my adversaries is browsing the thread... I'd expect some sort of a smart assed comment from him at any time now, regarding my development of a "water cooled Porsche engine"... I hated water cooled Porsches and still don't care for them very much, but I continue to be doing this type of work for the next 30 years, so its imperative from a business stand point to diversify into the "Modern 914"... Plus the engines are filled with issues just like the 914 and everyone hates them and no one builds them and that makes me even more interested in them! (Just like the 914)

Let the fact be known that we are continuing aircooled development as well, as a matter of fact the water cooled work is providing added capital for aircooled development work... My most significant development in the last 5 years foir the 914 engine is the roller camshaft package, which was conceived, developed and tested during the time we have been working with the M96.. I added on to the facility and added new hands to work on the water cooled engines along with me, so we have added gears- not changed them..
URY914
Jake,

How about the Pinzgauer? Still have it?

I maybe passing thru on the way to N. Carolina in the summer. I'd love to stop it.

Paul
Jake Raby
Nope, I sold it... But have just found another one..
A guy made me an offer that only an idiot would refuse, so it left and I have missed it every since!

Come see me when you want. just give me at least 3 days notice..
dw914er
QUOTE(mikez @ May 16 2009, 04:56 PM) *

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.