grantsfo
QUOTE(romansokol @ May 18 2009, 06:03 PM) *

hey guys i just got my car drivable

do you guys know of any cool roads i can try out the 914
or maby a track?

in norCA

thanks everyone

-roman

Head over 92 towards Halfmoon Bay take left at skyline go to 84 towards the coast to San gregorio. Turn left on on Stage Road to the little town of Pescadero . Then east on Pescadero Road a short ways to Cloverdale Road, turn south. Follow Cloverdale road down to Gazos Creek Road, where we turn west.
Follow Gazos Creek Road to Highway 1. There is gas here, so fuel up if you need.

Then take a trip down hwy 1 to Davenport, where you can stop for lunch. After lunch, head south on Highway 1 again to Bonny Doon Road, where you turn east (left).

Go up Bonny Doon Road to Smith Grade, right on Smith Grade to Empire Grade. North (left) on Empire Grade to Jamison Creek Road, down Jamison Creek Road to Highway 236. Right on Highway 236 to Highway 9 in Boulder Creek. then up Highway 9 (east) to Skyline, Then you can head back to HWy 84 and go East.

...If thats not enough twisties I dont know what to say.

Infineon is a good track so is Laguna Seca.

Or try autocrossong with Golden Gate PCA. They have an event in Stockon at end of this month.
koozy
Grant has a good day's drive set up for ya with that one. You'll be tired by the time you get home. If you are new to driving 914s, don't over drive the car. Plenty of places to get in trouble on those roads and no findin ya for a while if ya go off. Stay safe, get out there and have fun. Then, come out and autocross with us at GGR. Best $35 bucks you'll ever spend on a full days fun with your 914.
smokey

the up to bonny is so fun .
agree.gif
Derek Seymour
For some weekend fun head up 101 into Mendocino county. 12 miles north of Willits is the turn off to my hometown Covelo in Round Valley. It has the record of being the curviest road in America.. or at least it did at one time.
IPB Image
One problem is that it will be an out and back unless you want to drive on dirt over the Yolla Bolly's and end up going the "back way" to Thunderhill and Williams.
The plus side is then you can go out highway 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg then south on 1 all the way to Bodega Bay.
underthetire
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ May 26 2009, 06:00 PM) *

For some weekend fun head up 101 into Mendocino county. 12 miles north of Willits is the turn off to my hometown Covelo in Round Valley. It has the record of being the curviest road in America.. or at least it did at one time.
IPB Image
One problem is that it will be an out and back unless you want to drive on dirt over the Yolla Bolly's and end up going the "back way" to Thunderhill and Williams.
The plus side is then you can go out highway 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg then south on 1 all the way to Bodega Bay.

Round valley is really nice. Got stuck there for a week for work. A good quick run is calavares (Spelling??) canyon between livermore and Milpitas.
DBCooper
It's further, but if you can get over to the Sierras try highway 49, between Counterville and Mariposa. Excellent surface, varying from fast to very tight curves and elevation changes. Check it out:

IPB Image

Or for a longer drive try over 108 (Sonora pass) to 395, south to 120, then back over Tioga pass and the mountains through Yosemite. Absolutely unmatched.

A good way to find curvy roads is to see where the sportbike riders go. Their whole reason for being is curves, and they can't have bad surfaces. The "Roads" section of the Pashnit Touring site is a good one, with reviews of a lot of the good roads in California, maps, spectacular photos and tour documentaries. Unfortunately he's started charging a membership fee for access to the full site, but some areas are still free. As an example of a road review look at the Mosquito Ridge review, with a pretty cool VIDEO of the road. I could do without the music, but the road is awesome, 40 miles of curves.

Hundreds of others like that, all over California. So many roads, so little time...
puff adder
North of the Golden Gate, as stated there are hundreds of killer roads.

Highway 1 is awesome.

Inland, HWY128 from Healdsburg to Calistoga is a 20 mile stretch of the smoothest, windiest road I've driven.

Derek Seymour
Forgot to mention that Route 35/Skyline Blvd. can be pretty fun too. Just watch out for CHP and a Park Ranger named Miles Standish near Castle Rock State Park.
IPB Image
smokey
class of 86. Saratoga High .

My home town . The base of hyw 9 up to hyw 35 is also very fun . Another cool uphill fast run is . hyw 35 north from Alices @84 To hyw 92. I still think the best out of all the uphill runs in this area is East from the cost On 84 up to ALICES on skyline . It has some real AWSOME windes at the top , just as u get close to 4 cornes. U need to drive it off beat time . Tuesday mid day .kinda thing. So there is no cars around. Call in sick and play hooky for the day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.