Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder Head Temp Sender Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Concerning a 74 2.0 stock....

I seem to have a Cylinder Head temp threaded insert hole next to my #2 spark plug cylinder just as on the #3. Is there a sender possibilty there? What if any could be used?

Or what is anybody else using for a gauge.. I am using the #3 cylinder head stock Cht Hole for the sender to my ECU..
Jake Raby
Is this for a gauge or the stock FI system?
Jake Raby
Is this for a gauge or the stock FI system?
Dave_Darling
Somebody found two 3/4 cylinder heads instead of a 1/2 and a 3/4, I bet.

--DD
Jake Raby
And wants to use the stock FI CHT position for a gauge, so their CHT values will be 150F LOWER than in reality...
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 18 2009, 08:02 PM) *

And wants to use the stock FI CHT position for a gauge, so their CHT values will be 150F LOWER than in reality...

The stock cht is being used for the ecu, i am curious if i could use the #2 cylinder that has the exact hole as my #3 in a guage configuration.. and yes it is probably a 3/4 head in reverse.. I have read that cylinder #3 is key but why? or for a gauge i need to use a sender from sprak plug #3? excuse my ignorance as to proper location for a sender unit/ sensor for a gauge.. this is why i am posting..

all that said what is a good sender unit and where should it be located?? for a gauge..

bascically i am reading the vdo cht senders are crap as they are always off depending on ambient tempature.. as they were created for 72 degress ambient base.. colder you get a hotter reading warmer you get a colder. so if this is true then what if anything is to be used to get a solid reading?
i don't really want an entertainment piece but a true reading..
yeahmag
Micro 1000 from Spruce Aircraft seems to be the best bang for the buck. I love mine...
detoxcowboy
Upon further reading in which our Dave Darling added a piece. Is that all the VDO Gauges are really just "trend" gauges and are innaccurate really and the sender locations though factory are not really the "true" positions you would want a sender anyways.. here is the link

I am really not trying to be "stupid" w/ my car or setting up a "faith" gauge to entertain myself.. I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible or even usefull to try a CHT gauge in the first place on a stock car.. ..

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html#cht

So in Short 914 Gauges are "trend" gauges and nothing more? So is this is true then why so dogged on the accuracy of an innaccurate toy?
CliffBraun
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 18 2009, 10:57 PM) *

As I said in another thread I want one of these and a couple E type thermocouples for my engine, thermal epoxied to the heads for proper temp reading. I can't afford it unfortunately. If someone wants to buy me a some thermocouple wire I can weld up an infinite number of them though biggrin.gif ! If you look at what AS charges for "senders" compared to wire pricing you'll shit a brick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.