Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Reason to keep your old car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten

At the risk of provoking the "no politics and religion boys", here is one big reason to keep your old car on the road. Our little Porsches are actually great on gas mileage, and considering the upcoming costs one of these new cars will put on the consumer, I think it is best to keep the old ones humming. And by old, I don't just mean our '70s era cars. I forsee the "aftermarket" growing larger for keeping even our newer, pre-nanny state cars on the road.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090519/D989J3F00.html
Zundfolge
[wet blanket]Yeah, that'll work great until they ban the old polluting "pre-nanny state cars" and we have to turn 'em in to be crushed.[/wet blanket]
GeorgeRud
Also, not to get too political, but I don't forsee Porsche able to get the type of performance that they have been known for and also get 39mpg. How about Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, etc?
lotus_65
it'll get interesting.
we'll see who sidles up to who - & who'll get married...
zymurgist
Although 2009 Corvettes are rated at 26 mpg highway with big gasoline V-8's, I suspect diesels may be the wave of the future for performance cars. Lots of torque and good on fuel, which incidentally doesn't have to come from petroleum.
Zundfolge
Hydrogen or Electric will make this all moot.

Still, government is evil.
Porcharu
All that is needed to do this is to allow Diesels again. My F-350 crewcab 4x4 automatic loaded with 2500 pounds of people and stuff gets a consistent 24mpg on the highway, and this is a ridiculously overpowered truck that would do fine with a 4 liter engine. There is no reason at all why a half ton pickup with a reasonable engine could not get 30+
Steve
zymurgist
agree.gif

There was another thread here that mentioned the Mahindra diesel pickup truck, soon to be coming to the US.
jcambo7
Stinking government...they think they have all the answers... headbang.gif ar15.gif
Joe Ricard
I soooooo want a Ford PSD Crew cab.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Porcharu @ May 21 2009, 09:46 AM) *

All that is needed to do this is to allow Diesels again.

When did they ban Diesels?
tomeric914
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ May 21 2009, 02:04 PM) *

It depends on the state. New York State is on one year and off the next for diesels claiming that they "exceed fleet emissions for that year" for whatever that means. Not sure how 10 VW Jetta TDIs could even have close to the emissions of one Semi.

This was even before we had a governor that can't see (kinda reminds me of Mel Brooks as the Gov in Blazing Saddles)

IPB Image

IPB Image
Steve
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 21 2009, 11:50 AM) *

It depends on the state. New York State is on one year and off the next for diesels claiming that they "exceed fleet emissions for that year" for whatever that means. Not sure how 10 VW Jetta TDIs could even have close to the emissions of one Semi.

This was even before we had a governor that can't see (kinda reminds me of Mel Brooks as the Gov in Blazing Saddles)

IPB Image

IPB Image

This picture looks more like Sherriff Bart!! slap.gif
GeorgeRud
I had heard that if the United States was running diesels in all our cars, there would be no need for imported oil whatsoever.

If they all go like the Audi LMs, I'm all for it!
Derek Seymour
We can kill multiple birds with one stone.
IPB Image
Porcharu

Sorry can't have mine - it's got at least 500K left in it. If you get one make sure you get a 7.3, mine has 85K and ZERO issues with it (Oops - I forgot I had to fix the fuel system that Ford F*cked up.) I can't wait until the auto trans craps out I can put a 6 speed in it. Then my whole 'fleet' will have real transmissions in them. Someday my 240 Volvo is getting a 5 cylinder TDI.
Steve

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 21 2009, 10:49 AM) *

I soooooo want a Ford PSD Crew cab.

r_towle
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 20 2009, 10:50 PM) *

Also, not to get too political, but I don't forsee Porsche able to get the type of performance that they have been known for and also get 39mpg. How about Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, etc?

This is why they bought VW...the standards are for the entire fleet of vehicls sold..
Once Porsche bought VW...their fleet (lambo and bentley included) got alot larger.

They are now in compliance with the new standards.
Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 21 2009, 12:50 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

"think of your secretary!" Not the response I wanted to use, but everyone is tho touchy feely theth dayth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.