Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to get a working car...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I tried search function but I'm tired of wading through it all.

My daily driver Passat TDI is on it's last legs and I can't stand driving it any more so I'm trying to get the 914 running as fast as I can. I really can't afford to take it to a shop but will if I have to.

Car started just fine. I let it crank over a short while to let oil get into all the needy places then pimped the throttle once and it roared to life like it had never been parked. There is a fast ticking noise coming from the front of the engine under the cooling tin. I assume this is the fuel pump? Car is running fine and took me around the block without any issues. There may be some slippage in the clutch though.

Problems I can't figure out yet:
-No horn
-No wipers (I couldn't get the assembly all the way out so I doused the joints with spray as that worked before to get 'em working.)
-No fresh air fan
-Brake lights always on
Signals and other lights work fine.

Replaced two blown white fuses in the middle of the box but it didn't do any good. Maybe I forgot to hook up the brake stitch when I replaced the peddle assembly. What else?

While this is a conversion, it is in VIN only. There are no /4 parts on this car except for the shell (yeah, I know there's other stuff that on both six and fours that's the same). Consider it a factory six.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

r_towle
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ May 20 2009, 09:09 PM) *

I tried search function but I'm tired of wading through it all.

My daily driver Passat TDI is on it's last legs and I can't stand driving it any more so I'm trying to get the 914 running as fast as I can. I really can't afford to take it to a shop but will if I have to.

Car started just fine. I let it crank over a short while to let oil get into all the needy places then pimped the throttle once and it roared to life like it had never been parked. There is a fast ticking noise coming from the front of the engine under the cooling tin. I assume this is the fuel pump? Car is running fine and took me around the block without any issues. There may be some slippage in the clutch though.

-No horn
-No wipers (I couldn't get the assembly all the way out so I doused the joints with spray as that worked before to get 'em working.)
-No fresh air fan
-Brake lights always on

Replaced two blown white fuses in the middle of the box but it didn't do any good. Maybe I forgot to hook up the brake stitch when I replaced the peddle assembly. What else?

While this is a conversion, it is in VIN only. There are no /4 parts on this car except for the shell (yeah, I know there's other stuff that on both six and fours that's the same). Consider it a factory six.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-No horn
Pull the horn covers off, unplug a horn and hook up a volt meter, or a test light.
see if you have voltage when you depress the horns.
If yes, you need new horns...you can sometimes save them by hitting them lightly with a small hammer while applying voltage...they do rust in place...the tapping loosens the rust.
If no voltage, check the fuses first...remove all the fuses and clean the ends...put them all back in. If still no voltage, remove the horn button on your steering wheel and make sure that the little ground tab did not break off.

Get two jumper wires and a battery up front.
Un plug the wiper motor from the car harness.
Jumper the ground (brown) spade directly to your spare battery.
Jumper the positive lead to the battery....now touch one of the three spades remaining...one is low, one is intermitent, one is fast..
If nothing...come over here and get a motor that works and matches your motor...they are all different.

-No fresh air fan
Sucks to be you...mine has never worked.
Do the same as above, just do it to the fan. There is alot of corrosion in that area of the car.

-Brake lights always on
Remove all the rear bulbs and clean the sockets with a wire brush made for cleaning guns...or a dowel with emory cloth on it...grease with vaseline or dilithium grease...either will work for ONE year...then you gotta do it again.

Also, plug in the brake light switch on the master, and the one on the pedal cluster...those tend to need adjustment after you have a new pedal setup.

Its a day...get it done.

Rich

djm914-6
Thanks Rich. I'll give these things a try.

Now where did I put that V/Ohm meter?
Cupomeat
On the brake lights, as the brake light switch is only depressed when the brake pedal is fully returned (all the way closest to the driver), you could have either;

1. The pedal is sticking and the brake pedal does not return properly. See if manually pulling it back shuts them off.

or

2. The switch is out of alignment int he cluster and never gets hit to turn them off.

good luck!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.