Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tall wheels, anybody out there doing anything bigger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
ANybody running big wheels? I know 16 is the standard since 15 is difficult to get tires for, but are there any 17/18" cars out there and did you have any problems with fit?

GT flaired standard modification
charliew
Billy I think it might have massaged flares but the kinesis 914 has big fat tires I think. Someone posted it on a thread where I was also asking what would fit. I think it was Andy that said there is room for a 10 inch tire in the rear if it's done right. With my flare taped on I thought I measured 12 inches to the inside of the lip but I was told it ain't gonna happen The 10 inches is the average. I have bought some 17x8.5's that have 255/40r that are 10.3 so the specs say, so we will see. You are way ahead of me so you will see before me.
SirAndy
I have a set of 17s. Not mounted yet, so i can't say what they will look like.

Mine are too wide for standard GT flares, so i have to wait until i get the time to install the extra wide 9"/11" flares ...

shades.gif Andy

Fikse FM10's, 9x17 with 245-45 and 11x17 with 315-35 (Hoosier Dot R's) ...

IPB Image

IPB Image
PanelBilly
I wasn't thinking of going any wider than 8/9, just that 17 is a more modern size
GeorgeRud
Someone once showed a picture of a flared car with the RUF 17" Speedline wheels. It looked very nice and seemed to fit fine. The only problem is trying to afford them if you find a set (and they are very heavy).
charliew
Kinesis car http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95468
JRust
I've got a set of 17" twists that will fit. They would need spacers but will fit with flares. I've got a pic with the fronts on but the rears obviously will not fit on a narrow body car. Not as light as fuchs but I don't think they are anchors either. I like the 17" wheel personally. I think 17's will look killer on your car. Best of luck in your search biggrin.gif . Be happy to make you a deal on my twist too
marks914
17X7s all the way around with 205/50 17 rubber. 1 inch spacers on all four. No problem fitting them. except on the right reat, it was a little tight so I milled a few millimeters off.

Mark

IPB Image
IPB Image
jmmotorsports
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 20 2009, 07:32 PM) *

Someone once showed a picture of a flared car with the RUF 17" Speedline wheels. It looked very nice and seemed to fit fine. The only problem is trying to afford them if you find a set (and they are very heavy).

235 & 255/40 x 17

Jerry
PanelBilly
Jerry
Those wheels look like they have the right balance for the car. What widths are you using and did you use spacers?
nsr-jamie
Wow! That black one with the Ruf wheels is sweet!!!!!!! aktion035.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 21 2009, 04:45 AM) *

17X7s all the way around with 205/50 17 rubber. 1 inch spacers on all four. No problem fitting them. except on the right reat, it was a little tight so I milled a few millimeters off.

Mark

IPB Image
IPB Image

I have admired drooley.gif this car for a while , clean smooth lines and those clear lenses really set it off as to cleanlyness wub.gif , BTW what are the offsets of those wheels ?? What kind of spacers did you use ??

Jaxdream
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 21 2009, 07:23 AM) *

Jerry
Those wheels look like they have the right balance for the car. What widths are you using and did you use spacers?

Billy,

They are 8's & 9's. 28 MM spacer in front none in the rear.

Jerry
JJ914GT
My first post on this forum type.gif

17" fuchs on my 914, bet you don't see those often biggrin.gif
( 7.5j front & 9j rear + spacers + Michelin Pilot Sport II tires)

IPB Image
Scott S
bitchen.

(thats all I have to say about that.)
Scott S
bitchen.

(thats all I have to say about that.)
PanelBilly
So where did you get 17" Fuchs?

and Welcome to the club
JJ914GT
Thanks! I just had to have them...
Brand is Linea Corse, model is Fox. Takes standard Fuchs centercaps btw.

Here's another:
IPB Image
JJ914GT
..and another:
IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
I think 17 inch wheels look great. Perfect size for 914's.
dw914er
the 17 inch fuch's look sweet!

I also like the bbs style rims that Elliot has
atsealevel914
More
atsealevel914
more
914junkie
Click to view attachment
18X8.5 245/40/18's and 18X10 275/40/18 Continental extremecontact with 2.5" and 3" spacers. Kinda ridiculous I know and it certainly doesn't help the unsprung weight but oh well it's got a V8 to turn em and surprisingly the 901 is holding up to all that grip...poor little ring and pinion... happy11.gif
JJ914GT
Just added another of the GT with 17" Fuchs for those interested in what it looks like from the side:

IPB Image

sixnotfour
17 inch Rota fuchs
http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=169_170
JJ914GT
Yep, that's where I got them, but, me personally, would never buy again from that source.. I'm sure there's more people offering these.
sixnotfour
unfortunately , I think you have to go through them for those wheels, They are the subidyne guys who did them over on pelican.

Here is the Rota site and I didnt see em ?
http://www.rotawheels.com/index.asp
atsealevel914
In my opinion these are the nicest repro fuchs out there. They are forged.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....3896&page=2
turboman808
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 21 2009, 12:10 PM) *

IPB Image

Wow those look really great. Gonna order CCWs for mine very similar but I am guessing those are kenisis.
type2man
Just by glancing at those wheels I can tell they aren't real whic is obvious by the brand name. Why roll on fake 17's"? I don't see much of an advantage except tire choices with installing a set of 17" instead of 16" and the price on the rota site is more than an original set of alloys. Big baller wheels is another story....Kinesis....Ruf....Fikse.....3 piece forged Porshce wheels and a few other would be on my list before fake 17"s......
celluloid3
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 21 2009, 04:10 PM) *

What brand rims are those on the Black Car? that's the stock 4 lug hubs?

Great looking cars! aktion035.gif
jaybird840
FWIW, I squeezed 18x8.5's and 18x10's under "stock" glass flares. Not much wiggle room on the rear, especially if you want to run major negative camber. There were no clearance issues up front. I'm running almost 2" of spacers in the rear, and 30mm up front....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wbergtho
18x10 & 18x8 993TT wheels with 245/35/18 & 295/30/18 Michelin Pilot Sport II Ribs. I later put 996TT wheels on (1" wider in the rear)
wbergtho
pic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.