Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I am putting all new rotors and pad on all four corners of my car and had a question about the front rotor inner grease seal. How is that put onto the rotor, i bought new ones(don't have them yet, get them tomorrow), but should the old ones just pull off the old rotor or are they glued on there?

My second problem is, after driving my car for awhile today is started backfiring like no other. The car drove fine this morning on my way to school but when i got out of class it would not accelerate smoothly without popping out the exhaust. Since this was going on i didn't take the car to work and let it sit till i got home. Took it out for a drive and now it accelerates smoothly until you reach 3800rpm, then it starts to pop, pulled the car into the garage and it was popping at idle. Whats going on? I did a complete tune up little over a month ago, new point, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, etc...timed the motor, but now its running like crap and ran fine this morning. Should i check my points again and set the gap? Is my timing off by a little?

Thanks everybody!!!!!
914Sixer
Rotor seal is just pressed in, you can pull them right off. As for the popping at speed, you did not say if you have carbs or fuel injection. If you have FI, check your throttle switch. If may need adjustment or it is worn out. The contacts are getting old and there are no new replacements.
jmill
Dizzy might have slipped. Happens if you don't get it tight. I'd time it again and see where it's at.
turnaround89
Sorry, i have dual carbs, ill check dwell and timing today
76-914
I didn't see a condensor listed? New points won't last long w/ a crappy condensor!
turnaround89
condensor as well, biggrin.gif

Im pretty sure i nailed the problem...I went to check the timing and hooked up the light to wire #1, the light would flash like normal but every so often the cyclinder wouldn't fire, big problem, air and fuel not exploding just being pushed into the exhaust caused the back fire. Reason why it wouldn't spark, spark plug wire broke at the cap that goes onto the spark plug. Ordered new wires, should have them tomorrow!!!! This should fix my problem!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 21 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I didn't see a condensor listed? New points won't last long w/ a crappy condensor!

Condenser failure is exceedingly rare in VW/Porsche vehicles, as well as other cars equipped with Bosch ignition systems. I've probably sold a couple dozen in the 32 years I've operated a shop. The worst thing you can do to one of these ignition systems is to use aftermarket, ESPECIALLY USA or Asian made, ignition parts. The US ones are unmitigated JUNK, and the Asian ones don't seem to work, either. This problems pertains to the WHOLE ignition system, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, points, condensers, vacuum capsules, and especially "rebuilt" distributors. All JUNK.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.