Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
On the way to WCR my transmission started popping out of 5th gear and the bottom of the tranny was coated with oil. It looked like engine oil to me, but it turned out my transmission was totally out of oil.

The leak looks like it's coming from the bell housing. The engine oil level showed that it wasn't an engine oil leak. Since the clutch showed no signs of slippage, the only thing I can think of is the pivot bolt.

I've searched, but can't find anything on this. I'm wondering what would cause oil to leak there and what to do about it. Anybody got any ideas or know of something else I should be checking?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 21 2009, 12:53 AM) *

On the way to WCR my transmission started popping out of 5th gear and the bottom of the tranny was coated with oil. It looked like engine oil to me, but it turned out my transmission was totally out of oil.

The leak looks like it's coming from the bell housing. The engine oil level showed that it wasn't an engine oil leak. Since the clutch showed no signs of slippage, the only thing I can think of is the pivot bolt.

I've searched, but can't find anything on this. I'm wondering what would cause oil to leak there and what to do about it. Anybody got any ideas or know of something else I should be checking?

Main shaft seal or pivot bolt. Take the pivot out, clean the area, use plenty of sealant and put it back in.

If it's the main seal, you need to replace it.
smash.gif Andy
McMark
Yup. Pull the tranny and do a complete reseal on it (IMHO). Not real complicated and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing the actual age of all those seals.
Drums66
*SHE BLEW*......tranny main seal blowup.gif
ThinAir
Resealing the whole tranny was one idea that came to mind already and I think McMark is right about why that's a good idea.

Just to help my understanding of things, I was thinking that if it was the main seal I would have seen clutch problems because of oil all over the clutch disk. The pivot bolt came to mind as the one place that could dump oil into the bell housing without the oil getting on the clutch. Is there a flaw in that line of thinking?

Andy - what kind of sealant do you use on the bolt?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 21 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Is there a flaw in that line of thinking?

The pivot bolt is right next to the main seal. Both will eventually get oil onto the clutch, but most of it will just drip down and out the bottom.

I forget the brand of sealant i used. Ask McMark. If i recall correctly, it was white stuff.
smash.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 21 2009, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 21 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Is there a flaw in that line of thinking?

The pivot bolt is right next to the main seal. Both will eventually get oil onto the clutch, but most of it will just drip down and out the bottom.

I forget the brand of sealant i used. Ask McMark. If i recall correctly, it was white stuff.
smash.gif Andy

Red Loctite will seal it up just fine, "IF" you clean it properly. The Cap'n
ThinAir
Thanks Cap'n!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.