Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: recomended oil to use in 1972 914 1.7 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange73
what oil should I use for a 1972 914 1.7 ?
also how many qts. does it take ,
any suggestions on where I can get touch up for code L21E.
and to get a key copied do I need to get special blank or can I go to a Home Depot and they will have ?

thanks Dan
drgchapman
Brad Penn, high zinc for your cam and lifters.
orcadigital
Zinc = good. It can be found in most racing oils, diesel oils, and some of the higher weight normal oils still (20w50 and 15w50).

I have been running a mix of Mobil 15W50 Synthetic and Mobil 15W40 Delvac (Diesel oil) with good success in my race car. I do this at about a 4:1 ratio, and it seems to work for me. AJRS in Grand Junction suggested it, and i have not had an issue.

The other option is go with a standard good quality oil, and add a BG product called MOA to it. It has the Zinc additive as well as some other beneficial things. I did that for break in, straight 30W with MOA. My 1.7 is now running the mix as well, and no issues, but its only been about a week, and the car isnt quite road worthy yet.
roadster fan
Brad Penn 20w50 for the summer. 4 qts without filter change (why would someone do that!?) and about 4.5 qts with filter change.

If you have an external oil cooler obviously more will be required.

Jim
Dave_Darling
It's just about 4 quarts (a bit under) with the oil filter change, if you don't have a "deep sump" added onto the motor.

--DD
sean_v8_914
valvoline VR-1
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 24 2009, 02:16 AM) *

valvoline VR-1

agree.gif Great cost point to boot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.