Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prepping Metal for Welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
What are some of your processes/techniques for prepping the metal for reinforcement kits before and after welding them in place. I'll be starting in a couple of weeks. Thanks
jmill
I remove the paint, use a metal prep and prime with weldable primer. I then remove any loose (burnt) primer, prep and then re-prime and paint.
Joe Owensby
QUOTE(jmill @ May 21 2009, 10:58 PM) *

I remove the paint, use a metal prep and prime with weldable primer. I then remove any loose (burnt) primer, prep and then re-prime and paint.

I do the same thing, making sure to have all the metal covered with paint that I can- including the inside of pieces. JoeO
MikeSpraggi
Thanks for the tips.
IronHillRestorations
Clean the paint and surface rust off with a 3M Bristle disc.

Treat with "Must For Rust", Ospho, or your favorite metal treament.

Paint both surfaces of areas to be overlayed with 3M weld through primer.

Scratch off weld through primer on weld areas. It makes it easier to start the arc, and you'll get fewer weld inclusions (crap in the weld bead).

Don't make any welds longer than 1/2". You'll have to continually tap down the overlay as the heat from welding will make it lift off the base metal. Weld the perimeters completely.

Clean off spatter and go over with bristle disc. Look for any weld inclusions, and grind out if/as needed and re-weld.

Re-clean and go over with metal prep, (MFR, Ospho, etc), seam seal and paint with Du-Pont self etching primer, and supsequent primer and topcoat.

This is what I do anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.