Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improving on a good thing. Super CV bolts now with 4 holes!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
After thinking about it for a while, and figuring out how I would do it, I have decided to put 2 more holes in the bolts to make wiring them so much easier. What does this get me? It takes me 2x as long, I wear through drill bits 2x as fast, and I get to make them by hand. What does that get you? A better, easier to use bolt for the same exact price as always smile.gif $25 shipped for 8 with washers and wire.
dkjens
Can I return my 'hard to wire' two hole bolts and get a four hole set in exchange he he? J/k - but where do you suggest I go for the safety wire and can you give me the specs for it. If I can get wire that is stronger than what came with the bolts, I'll go for that, since one of the four wires were broke when I went to remove my CVs last weekend after '(g)rounding' the drivers outside CV.
shoguneagle
These bolts Dr. Evil has are the best of the best AND he uses .032nds Stainless Steel Safety Wire (Aircraft and Mil-spec). You can do a search on the net for Aircraft supplies and suppliers and get a source. The next size commonly used (commercial and military aircraft is .041ths which will not fit the holes the Dr. drills. The safety wire he uses is fine.

Doc, sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago for another couple of sets (can be the cross drill or the single drill heads, do not care) along with Schnorr washers (24) and the possibility you have the metal plates that go under the Schnorr washers next to the CV housing.

The Doc is the best source for these items AND BUILDS THE BEST TRANSMISSIONS!!!

Steve Hurt
Dr Evil
Thanks for the ringing endorsement, Steve smile.gif

I emailed you about your order.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dkjens @ May 22 2009, 01:27 AM) *

Can I return my 'hard to wire' two hole bolts and get a four hole set in exchange he he? J/k - but where do you suggest I go for the safety wire and can you give me the specs for it. If I can get wire that is stronger than what came with the bolts, I'll go for that, since one of the four wires were broke when I went to remove my CVs last weekend after '(g)rounding' the drivers outside CV.

The safety wire does not add strength to the bolts. It ensures that there is no way the bolts can ever back out until the wire is cut. Using larger wire won't give you any added bonus except a harder time on installation.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(dkjens @ May 22 2009, 02:27 AM) *

You can send me your two holed ones in exchange, if they aren't used (doh!) poke.gif

How did you wire them? How did you break the wire? Did you use the wire I supplied or some you sourced? Curious. As Steve said, I am using stainless aircraft grade wire. And as Zach said, larger wire = you hate me for sending you .041" wire. I used to sell the kits with larger wire...it was what I had on hand and it SUCKED to install.

I can send you some more wire if you need. PM me smile.gif

Oh ya, if you send me your used bolts I will punch 2 more holes in them for free smile.gif Just pay the $5 round trip shipping.
computers4kids
Doc, here's a thought...
I have your kit and I wouldn't think about not having that extra measure of safety. But I also wonder about a couple things....

1) Wer'e making the CV end that bolts to the transaxle safer for sure, but what about the end that bolts to the hubs--it's stock. Aren't we kind of assuming a false sense of safety if teeners don't check those as well routinely?

2 Drilling 4 holes in one bolt head...hmm, does that overly weaken the integrity of that head?
dkjens
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 23 2009, 09:35 AM) *

Doc, here's a thought...
I have your kit and I wouldn't think about not having that extra measure of safety. But I also wonder about a couple things....

1) Wer'e making the CV end that bolts to the transaxle safer for sure, but what about the end that bolts to the hubs--it's stock. Aren't we kind of assuming a false sense of safety if teeners don't check those as well routinely?

I would say on one hand you're absolutely right, but the inner CV joint coming of during speed will cause 1000 times more damage than the outer CV joint coming of, since they will be contained within the trailing arm.

It is also easier to have a nice clean area for lock tite to work when assembling the outer CV joints, since this happens on a work bench, not while under the car.

Just my HO.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dkjens @ May 23 2009, 09:45 AM) *

It is also easier to have a nice clean area for lock tite to work when assembling the outer CV joints, since this happens on a work bench, not while under the car.

Just my HO.

I don't remember ever changing an outer anywhere but under the car. Workbench hmmmm.
charliew
Why not just also do the outers. I thought that was always the game plan anyway? Does that mean the inner cvs wear out a lot more than the outers?
I can't believe you are volunteering to do all the extra work on the bolts you've already sold. The 5.00 shipping is nothing compared to the time spent drilling the dang holes. I may just add the holes to the 24 you sold me to save you the trouble. How many bit's to drill 24 holes, two, three?
I really think you should add a little to the price to add the extra holes but if you don't want to it's your business and everyone surely appreciates the value added for free. I wish I had done this on my sons bug.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(dkjens @ May 21 2009, 10:27 PM) *

If one of the wires was broken, I'd guess that either a rock hit it *just right*, you nicked the wire while you were twisting it, or you kinked it when you twisted it, or a combination. There shouldn't be much stress on the wire, it only keeps the bolt from backing out. Harbor Freight has a set of safety wire pliers for $9.99... I don't know how good they are, but they are probably adequate for occasional use, and would make the job SO much easier.
charliew
Dang I think I paid 60.00 for my pliers. Safety wire pliers won't twist the wire too tight. Probably he used a pair of visegrips to twist the wire and twisted it too tight.
dkjens
Now now guys, don't put words in my mouth he he. I actually do have the plyers from Harbor Freight and used them when installing the wires.

These bolts were the first I ever safety wired, so I may very well have been a little to exited.

I have decided to use the bolts I have for the outside CVs and purchase a new set for the inside.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 23 2009, 12:35 PM) *

Doc, here's a thought...

2 Drilling 4 holes in one bolt head...hmm, does that overly weaken the integrity of that head?

Bolts are to be tqed to 30ft/lbs which is far below what it would take to snap the crown. The holes are in the crown, the shoulder which retains the CV is just as strong as ever smile.gif 4 holes is not a new thing.

The outer bolts seldom need attention as they are likely the same that came with the car. If you are inclined to remove the stub axles then you can wire them as well, but as mentioned, a loose bolt here is far less catastrophic than an inner one.

I will also be offering the CV gaskets with the kit so it is one stop shopping. $2 more smile.gif My upcoming departure from Med school and continuing of my MPH is leaving me with time to tune things up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.