Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to upgrade my gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
My 73 has the factory center console clock, oil temp and voltmeter. I'm thinking it's time to ditch the clock and to upgrade to VDO cockpit gauges. For anyone who has done this, I'm wondering about the senders involved.

Does the CHT use the spark plug style sender?
The oil pressure sender supports both the gauge and the oil warning light - does it fit in the factory location without changing the sheet metal?
Does the oil temp sender fit in the taco plate with no problem?

I know the gauges don't fit the factory holes so I'm planning a new console panel. Is there anything else I should know about this setup?
SLITS
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 21 2009, 10:25 PM) *

My 73 has the factory center console clock, oil temp and voltmeter. I'm thinking it's time to ditch the clock and to upgrade to VDO cockpit gauges. For anyone who has done this, I'm wondering about the senders involved.

Does the CHT use the spark plug style sender? YES
The oil pressure sender supports both the gauge and the oil warning light - does it fit in the factory location without changing the sheet metal? NO. You use a grease gun hose to mount it on top of the engine
Does the oil temp sender fit in the taco plate with no problem? Just use the regular guage with the taco plate and save money

I know the gauges don't fit the factory holes so I'm planning a new console panel. Is there anything else I should know about this setup? Yeh ... Oil pressure and CHT are the most important .... the others are just bling
ThinAir
Thanks Ron!
SLITS
It was easier than typing a whole new thingy at the bottom of the quote ... plus it puts the emphasis where I want it. hissyfit.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 21 2009, 10:44 PM) *

It was easier than typing a whole new thingy at the bottom of the quote ... plus it puts the emphasis where I want it. hissyfit.gif

And it was so subtle that I missed it on first read and made a smart-alec response. You were only supposed to see the edited reply! biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(ThinAir @ May 21 2009, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 21 2009, 10:44 PM) *

And it was so subtle that I missed it on first read and made a smart-alec response. You were only supposed to see the edited reply! biggrin.gif

And what are friends for? av-943.gif

ThinAir
So who sells the "grease gun hose" and what size/thread does it need to be? Pelican sells the gauges, but I didn't see anything on their site about a hose type connector.
SLITS
1/8 NPT ... Your local FLAPS should have one.

And make sure you GROUND the dual pole sender to the engine / engine tin. Like with a hose clamp around the sender bolted / screwed to the blower housing or any place else you can put a cheese head screw / fastner thru the hose clamp or it no workie.
orcadigital
This might be helpful, here is my oil pressure sender installed with the Auto Atlanta kit, same idea as the grease gun hose. Tightening the fitting in the block is a pita with the tin on. Angled long handle needle nose got it tight enough, or would have had to slot a deepwell socket.

Click to view attachment

Also i redid my center gauge cluster too. I went with Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Volt, and AF. The switches turn on the gauges, and the illumination for them. Each is individually fused as are the gauge lights. The panel was made from clear plexiglass with a flat black plastic paint painted from the back side (so it wouldnt show scratches).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.