Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Hot Wired
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thompson-mfr
I have been trouble shooting my fuel system and hot wired the fuel pump.

I essentially bench tested it in the front trunk with the two output lines going to a gas can and the supply line still hooked up. I just changed the filter and checked to make sure there was flow after the filter and there was.

I applied 12v to the pump correctly with + and - correct (HM!), but no gas through the pump.

Can I blow compressed air gently through the pump to see if there are any obstructions????
drive-ability
I don't know what type of pump you have but an electric pump when it stops pumping is done. Lets "assume" you have the connections correctly connected and have the proper voltage etc. If the pump fails to pump and or fails to make noise etc it's time to replace the unit. If you get it going it's going to stop again. sad.gif Blowing air may or may not produce anything but won't change the eventual outcome IMO
banger
Does the pump sound like it is turning at all? The pump is a roller pump, so it has a wheel with 5 or 6 rollers which actually move the fuel. Compressed air probably would not do much. If the pumps sit for a while, they get gummed up, and the rollers wont move. The motor will try to turn them, but cant, this can also lead to the motor burning up, if it sits for too long. I have disassembled a couple pumps, cleaned them, and got them working again, which you might want to try.
montoya 73 2.0
WTF.gif My 73 2.0 is doing the same thing. I hear the stock pump click on and then it clicks off, but no gas. confused24.gif

Anyone have a line on some stock fuel pumps?

QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ May 22 2009, 09:43 AM) *

I essentially bench tested it in the front trunk with the two output lines going to a gas can and the supply line still hooked up. I just changed the filter and checked to make sure there was flow after the filter and there was.

I applied 12v to the pump correctly with + and - correct (HM!), but no gas through the pump.

Can I blow compressed air gently through the pump to see if there are any obstructions????

thompson-mfr
The FP is clearly on when I apply 12v power. It buzzes normal.

I am now at work and questioning whether I had the polarity reversed.

I had the HM laid out right there opened up to the picture of the pump connector and sure remember double checking it. I have heard how bad it is to reverse the polarity.

Can anyone remember (see my pic) if this looks correct?????

If not I will wait until I get home.

thompson-mfr
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 22 2009, 10:10 AM) *

WTF.gif My 73 2.0 is doing the same thing. I hear the stock pump click on and then it clicks off, but no gas. confused24.gif

Anyone have a line on some stock fuel pumps?

QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ May 22 2009, 09:43 AM) *

I bought my car from an old man and he had 3-4 that he gave me. You can call me if you want to get one of them. I will PM you.
Elliot Cannon
High pressure FI or low pressure carbs? How many miles on the pump? Iether way, if it's not running (you should be able to clearly hear it) it's probably toast. (No offense Melba) wub.gif
thompson-mfr
Polarity Correct????

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
The connection on the pump is clearly marked (+) and (-). Embossed right in the plastic. There is only ONE outlet (D), one inlet (S), and one pressure relief or return ® port. The only way you can properly test the pump is by having a pressure regulator plumbed into the system.

The Cap'n
thompson-mfr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2009, 10:41 AM) *

The connection on the pump is clearly marked (+) and (-). Embossed right in the plastic. There is only ONE outlet (D), one inlet (S), and one pressure relief or return ® port. The only way you can properly test the pump is by having a pressure regulator plumbed into the system.

The Cap'n

Do you have any suggestions on how to do what you are suggesting. (bench test wise)

I pulled a hose in the engine compartment after the pressure regulator but no fuel when the pump was hotwired.
swl
As others have said it should be be obvious if the pump is spinning. You will hear it and feel it. there will be no doubt in your mind.

Polarity is important - it won't do anything if backward.

If polarity is correct you can follow the Cap'n advice with it still in place. If you have a 3 port pump as the Cap'n described just take the 'R' outlet to your gas can. Gas normally does not come out of that port. If it is coming out that port you won't get gas to the injectors. You are also pooched. there is a pop off valve sticking and the chance of recussitating it is very very slim.

If nothing coming out of 'r' then try again with 'd'. Like the Cap'n said this will only give an indication but it is a place to start. If you get gas coming out of 'd' then you need to put it back together and look elsewhere. If you don't see gas coming out then you have to ask 'am I getting gas to the pump?' Take off the hose going to 's' and see if there is gas there - it is going to go all over the place so make arrangements to catch it somehow - maybe kink the hose as you take it off.
swl
just read your other thread. How sure are you about your fuel delivery from the tank to the pump? Kinked lines? Strainer sock in the tank?
montoya 73 2.0
hijacked.gif

Okay, heres my similar problem.

no gas coming from "D" when key turned on and the click-buzzzzzzz-click happens. I have gas going to "S" so that leaves the "R" thing, Is the gas coming from "R" happening with the switch on, off or either? It kind of sounds to me if there is no gas from "D" or gas coming from "R" then I would need a new pump?

QUOTE(swl @ May 22 2009, 06:14 PM) *

If nothing coming out of 'r' then try again with 'd'. Like the Cap'n said this will only give an indication but it is a place to start. If you get gas coming out of 'd' then you need to put it back together and look elsewhere. If you don't see gas coming out then you have to ask 'am I getting gas to the pump?' Take off the hose going to 's' and see if there is gas there - it is going to go all over the place so make arrangements to catch it somehow - maybe kink the hose as you take it off.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.