Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: upgraded ignition wire troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
I've had Bosch ignition wires for a year. And the car has always started and ran on first crank. I just upgraded the wires to Clewett spiral core. It seemed fine for a couple days. But now it's a real pain to start and keep running until warm (backfires and floods easily). Once warm - no problems.

Could there be a connection?

Why did I upgrade? Because the Clewetts are yellow! +5 hp!!
Actually, I have a MSD with rev limiter that never worked right because of RF interferance. The spiral core wires fixed most of the RF problems. MSD rev limiter works most of the time now.

I'm considering going back to Bosch and or disconnecting the MSD.

Edit: Sorry, not RFI but EMI
Joe Ricard
Are these the kind of wires with american connector? Are you sure you are feeling the click when the boot is going on the plug?

Obviously you put the screw on tips back on your plugs. are they tight?

zeezee
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 23 2009, 08:50 AM) *

Are these the kind of wires with american connector? Are you sure you are feeling the click when the boot is going on the plug?

Obviously you put the screw on tips back on your plugs. are they tight?

This wire set (made for 914) has the same non-tip plug connectors as the Bosch. They all snap on tightly.
Cap'n Krusty
REAL men don't let other men use Bosch plug wires. They are, shall we say, "downmarket". There are others out there that are far better. FWIW, I've never had problems with Clewitt's wires.

The Cap'n
zeezee
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 23 2009, 09:50 AM) *

REAL men don't let other men use Bosch plug wires. They are, shall we say, "downmarket". There are others out there that are far better. FWIW, I've never had problems with Clewitt's wires.

The Cap'n

Doh! My mistake - they are Beru - not Bosch.
zeezee
I disconnected the MSD. It is acting "normal" now. Starts right up and same power as before.
I suspect that the previous Beru solid core wires were essentually disabiling the MSD with excess EMI. And when I replaced them with the spiral cores the MSD started "working" for the first time since I had the car. Maybe the MSD is not working properly.
More testing is needed.
Kirmizi
I seem to recall reading something in the MSD owners manual about not using solid-core wires. When I installed my MSD, I also replaced the plug wires with a set of Clewetts and haven't had any problems.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.