Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking brake fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mpoffers
Finally got my 75 914 through Oregon DEQ and took my first real drive on some twisties. Just a quick loop out Skyline, down Mcnamee and back in on US30. It kicked ass.

Now I've got a pretty good pool of brake fluid dripping from near the passenger rear jack donut. Any guess on what blew up? I assume that it has something to do with some sort of rear T valve or something, but I have yet to get it on jackstands and take a look. If I can finish my bathroom remodel I'll get to take a look at it tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, anyone want to take a guess at what I broke?

Mike
GeorgeRud
The passenger rear brake line has a fitting between the metal line and the flexible rear brake line right in that area. If you have the metal braided brake lines, I would consider replacing them with the original type. They do fail after many years, and when they go, it's a sudden crack and brake fluid leak.
SirAndy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 22 2009, 09:59 PM) *

The passenger rear brake line has a fitting between the metal line and the flexible rear brake line right in that area. If you have the metal braided brake lines, I would consider replacing them with the original type. They do fail after many years, and when they go, it's a sudden crack and brake fluid leak.

agree.gif

The valve is on the drivers side on the lower firewall, so that's not it.

Probably just a old worn out brake-line.
Get some good OEM rubber lines and replace on all 4 corners.

If one went bad, chances are, the other three don't look much better ...
shades.gif Andy
mpoffers
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2009, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 22 2009, 09:59 PM) *

agree.gif

The valve is on the drivers side on the lower firewall, so that's not it.

Probably just a old worn out brake-line.
Get some good OEM rubber lines and replace on all 4 corners.

If one went bad, chances are, the other three don't look much better ...
shades.gif Andy

Sounds like a good guess to me. I'll crawl under there tomorrow and see what I find. Replacing them all is, of course, a good idea. I have no idea how old the current lines are but I did need to rebuild the front calipers as the driver's side was stuck. That probably should have clued me in to re-furbing the whole system. Now that I know how much fun this car is to drive, I'll gladly through $60 at new brake lines.
firstknight13
Sounds like a good guess to me. Now that I know how much fun this car is to drive, I'll gladly through $60 at new brake lines.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif my friend you just got hooked......true $ 60.00 gladly......." IT IS JUST THE BEGINING " shades.gif aktion035.gif headbang.gif screwy.gif driving.gif driving.gif
jaxdream
That's one of the many things I replace on these cars , the oem type rubber brake lines aren't very expensive at all and some of the best insurance money you can spend. Just check your metal lines for rub areas and secure so as to not have any contact with the various parts of the body mountings.

Jaxdream
charliew
I don't know how he did it but after unloading my car and trying it out for it's first drive the pass side steel line to the caliper was rubbing the tire and in only a two mile ride through the neighborhood the line was broke and if I had backed up I think it would have puncured the brand new tire. I guess when he tighten the line he twisted it or something. When I went to look at it he said he had just replaced the emergency brake cables and it also had new brakes. We heard a funny thumping noise at about 5mph and my son was walking along beside it to see exactly where the noise was. The rocker arms were so loose it was already noisey enough and the steering wheel shaft would flop around and honk the horn everytime we hit a small bump. The seller offered to let me drive it before I bought it but it was so clean I didn't really care how it ran. I could tell most of it's problems were from a old guy messing around with his new girlfriends car try to help her sell it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.