Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 Electrical Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ghopkins
I just purchased a 1970 914 1.7 in non-running condition. The car has been converted to a holley carb setup. I have been trying to get it started but I can't get it to crank or any of the electrical to work (lights, horn, etc.). Also, I noticed that all the wires from the 12 pin connector on the relay board were wired directly to the coil. Where are these wires supposed to go with the carb setup? I purchased the Haynes which did not help at all. I already made and installed the grounded wire to trick the board so the stock wiring will work, but I need to know where the 12pin wires should go. PLEASE HELP.
drive-ability
popcorn[1].gif
Steve Snyder
I would consider starting with the question of why NONE of your electrical system works. Figure out why power is not getting from your battery to your fuse block (or anywhere else) before worrying about the engine harness. Once you have that figured out, you can take stock of everything else
Cap'n Krusty
Nice color wiring diagrams at the Pelican Parts website. Only the black wire goes to the coil (+) side, and the thinner black wire with the purple tracer (stripe) goes with the point wire on the (-) side of the coil. The green/red wire goes to the oil pressure switch, next to the distributor. The Cap'n
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ghopkins @ May 23 2009, 12:02 AM) *

I just purchased a 1970 914 1.7 in non-running condition. The car has been converted to a holley carb setup. I have been trying to get it started but I can't get it to crank or any of the electrical to work (lights, horn, etc.). Also, I noticed that all the wires from the 12 pin connector on the relay board were wired directly to the coil. Where are these wires supposed to go with the carb setup? I purchased the Haynes which did not help at all. I already made and installed the grounded wire to trick the board so the stock wiring will work, but I need to know where the 12pin wires should go. PLEASE HELP.

914s have few electrical problems that are not easily solved. I would first make sure that the extra red leads are firmly attached to the battery positive post and then that the leads are firmly connected to the starter and then that the battery is fully charged. I would then check the ignition switch to make sure that it is turning on the power to the electrical system and on your particular model that the steering column bulkhead connector is plugged in under the dash.
ghopkins
914s have few electrical problems that are not easily solved. I would first make sure that the extra red leads are firmly attached to the battery positive post and then that the leads are firmly connected to the starter and then that the battery is fully charged. I would then check the ignition switch to make sure that it is turning on the power to the electrical system and on your particular model that the steering column bulkhead connector is plugged in under the dash.
[/quote]

I checked the connections and the battery, but still no power. I just purchased a new ignition switch from autoatlanta. Hopefully this fixes the problem. The Haynes is making more sense now that I realized there is a part I & II. Thanks to all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.