Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut coolant fluid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaxdream
I scored a set of 89 Carrea Boge struts to use my 914 inserts in.Pulled the 89 insert out looks like the valving set up used in motorcycle front forks WTF.gif Anyway my 914 insert fits in ok just got to come up with centering rings for the insert , my question is do I fill with some kind of coolant , the Paragon article states either oil or antifrezze , or is this not neccesary for a sealed insert unit ??
Strut prt # 911.341.041/042.04

Do fill with fluid or not ?? confused24.gif

Jaxdream
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 23 2009, 01:37 PM) *

Do fill with fluid or not ??

I always do, otherwise you've made a dandy vacuum bottle...

I do not like the idea of anything aqueous in a steel tube...

I use a light oil - it doesn't take much.

Something like an ATF, although I've heard air-tool oil has some anti-corrosion properties so that's probably what I'll put in the next set of struts I do. Marvel and Lucas make air-tool oil - I think I got a quart of Lucas oil from Summit for not much.
ConeDodger
Things like some of the 5 mile an hour bumper struts from the era used mineral oil to lube and prevent corrosion. I have taken a couple of these apart and they look pristine inside. Might work in this application too...
ejm
Primary reason to add oil is to help heat transfer to the outer housing. Like Rich said, ATF works fine.
orange914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 23 2009, 11:53 AM) *

Things like some of the 5 mile an hour bumper struts from the era used mineral oil to lube and prevent corrosion.

so thats why the negative term "fish oil" is used with cheap shocks, makes sense now. by no means do i know what i'm doing, but i've used hydrolic oil in koni's with good luck... seemed to make sense in my chaotic mind. confused24.gif
cwpeden
Unless your racing, how much heat do you think your shocks will generate?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 23 2009, 01:34 PM) *

Our roads aren't as good as they are in BC apparently. Shocks oscillate thousands of times per minute creating lots of heat. Racing could even be better as the asphalt is often better and the transitions smoother.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 23 2009, 05:34 PM) *

It doesn't really matter...
A quart of ATF will do both struts (with a bunch left over) and it's an easy "no downside" As Long As. Consider that what are commonly called 'shock absorbers' aren't (the springs absorb the shocks...) they are really spring dampers and the axial forces can easily be 3X the spring rate. They get hot, and the heat serves no purpose.

so thats why the negative term "fish oil" is used with cheap shocks
Have you ever pulled open an original-to-the-car Boge strut - the ones with *no insert* ? Yes, folks, as delivered from the factory, the pistons ran directly in the strut tube (this was true for /6's, I donno about /4's). I've done that job twice and the Boge hydraulic fluid is as horribly nasty smelling as anything you'd never hope to come across. Dead fish is a good approximation...
Richard Casto
I have been told by Koni tech to use antifreeze (they also spec antifreeze on the install instructions). I would expect that if you are using a Boge insert, that Boge's installation instructions should say what to use?

I suspect the problem with oil is that if water does get in that it can/will float the oil out the top leaving a pocket of water at the bottom. This pocket can rust and/or freeze.. While if water gets into the antifreeze that it will still have the anti-rust additives of the antifreeze and it should still protect against freezing in the winter even if diluted somewhat.
cwpeden
Never mind.
jaxdream
Yep , it was some nasty stuff that came out of the strut. Thanks for the replies , me thinks the Konifolks may be onto something with the antifrezze . That's what will go in upon reassembly.Thanks again... piratenanner.gif

Jaxdream
championgt1
When I did the konis on my 924 I used antifreeze.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.