Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MUSR 10 Tenative Schedule of Events
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
ClayPerrine

Noon Check in and registration.

5:00 PM Hospitality suite opens for the meet and greet.

7:00 pm Pizza dinner and Liar's contest.

Friday

9:14 am. Driver's meeting for morning tour.
9:30 am. Depart hotel for morning tour.
Noon Lunch - Site to be determined

2:00 Pm Arrive at Crater of Diamonds State park for diamond prospecting.

4:00 PM depart for Hotel.

6:00 PM Dinner.

7:30 PM Driver's meeting for Rally.

8:00 PM (Must be after dark) Start of Hare and Hound Rally.

10:00 PM Finish Hare and hound rally.

Saturday.

9:14 am. Driver's meeting for morning tour.
9:30 am. Depart hotel for morning tour.
Noon Lunch - Site to be determined (possibly Magazine Mountain).
2:00 PM Arrive at Hotel.
3:00 PM Car show.

5:00 PM Tech Quiz.
7:00 PM Awards Dinner.

Sunday - for those wishing to stay.

9:14 AM Blind Autocross in Parking lot.

11:00 Blind Autocross awards.

Noon: Homeward Bound.
Rusty

WTF.gif Huh? blink.gif

Overall, looks like a good schedule. Based on the feedback from last year, we need to specify times that driver's should be gassing up their cars.

I know, I know... I thought that people were adults and should be able to fill in the blanks on their own - but apparently not. We need to hand-hold them.
Rusty

If the car show takes more than an hour, there is a problem. Seems a lot of slack-time. When is happy-hour or is that 7pm as well?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ May 28 2009, 09:33 PM) *

WTF.gif Huh? blink.gif

Overall, looks like a good schedule. Based on the feedback from last year, we need to specify times that driver's should be gassing up their cars.

I know, I know... I thought that people were adults and should be able to fill in the blanks on their own - but apparently not. We need to hand-hold them.

The Hare and Hound Rally is after dark, using Cynalumid Sticks.

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 28 2009, 09:35 PM) *

If the car show takes more than an hour, there is a problem. Seems a lot of slack-time. When is happy-hour or is that 7pm as well?

I didn't include a happy hour. I figure the tech quiz will be limited to 1 hour. I need the other hour to grade them.

Rusty
Sounds like fun, but I think you may lose a few with the night driving - especially our older members.

Concur, my old friend, on the tech quiz. That's consistently been a tough schedule point. Can we list the happy hour from 6-7? That way, ladies who don't want to do the tech quiz can spend time doing... whatever they do.

ClayPerrine
I forgot to add a space for a tech session. I already have a car for the demo.

Kelvin is going to provide his car for the replacement of the driver's door. It will be about an hour.

Where can we fit it in the schedule??

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 29 2009, 01:05 PM) *

Kelvin is going to provide his car for the replacement of the driver's door. It will be about an hour.

Did ya'll not work it into Thur Pizza dinner at RCR? Motor drop at Brett's.
Since only an hour this year maybe before/after dinner and not during dinner?
Rusty
Thursday BBQ at RCR was a tech session.

Two problems surfaced from the After Action Review and the comment sheets:

1. People travel in on Thursday. They're tired and want to relax.
2. The motor-drop was too much to do in one tech session. People got bored, distracted, etc... especially the ladies.

One tech session that I always thought would be good is "Brake Caliper Rebuild". Break folks down into small groups of 4 or 5 - and hand everyone a brake caliper to tear apart while being led through the exercise with an instructor.
QUOTE(Rusty @ May 29 2009, 01:49 PM) *

2. The motor-drop was too much to do in one tech session. People got bored, distracted, etc... especially the ladies.

One tech session that I always thought would be good is "Brake Caliper Rebuild". Break folks down into small groups of 4 or 5 - and hand everyone a brake caliper to tear apart while being led through the exercise with an instructor.

I do agree a motor drop was way to much to do in 1 hour. And yes getting back out in the rain was a pain last year. Burgers were good tho!

But if it is a Kelvin's door as Clay mentioned it could easily be done at the hotel. No travel and a lot less time and/or energy spent for people to attend?

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ May 29 2009, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 29 2009, 01:05 PM) *

Did ya'll not work it into Thur Pizza dinner at RCR? Motor drop at Brett's.
Since only an hour this year maybe before/after dinner and not during dinner?

The pizza dinner is an indoor function with drinking and getting to know one another. We are going to repeat the liar's contest from MUSR 8. Anyone who wants to gets up and tells a story. Then everyone votes on if they believe it or not. The person who fools the most people gets the MUSR liar's trophy for the event.

It is a fun way to spend an evening.....

QUOTE(Rusty @ May 29 2009, 01:49 PM) *

That would be good, but it requires a bit more than just showing up with a door and some hand tools. We can do the door replacement in the parking lot with no prep.

I am going to give it, so y'all just need to find me a hole in the schedule.

Back to packing for the Cruise.....
jt914-6
Clay....I know you're getting sunburned and making the rest of us jealous, but looking at the schedule Sat. for the drive, there will have to be an ajustment made if we go to Mt. Magazine. For one, from Hy. 5 & 7 it is 73 miles to Mt. Magazine. That should take about 1 1/2 hours from THERE. Leaving from the other two motels would add another 25 minutes or so to that. The Arlington is about 5-10 minutes from there and no stoplights.
This is what I'm thinking......I've been to Mt. Magazine several times, once with the PCA group. At lunch time they are very busy and it takes FOREVER for a group like our's to get served and eat. A good hour to an hour and a half. So, let's say it takes 1 1/4 hours to eat, that leaves little or no time to drive around the top and stop at lookouts, which I know we want to do and take pics. There's no way we could get back to HS by 2:00. Maybe the car show could start at 4 or maybe 5?
Five would be better so those who made the drive would have time to "clean up" their car for the show.....I really like the idea to go to Mt. Magazine. The new lodge and resturant there is really nice. Just my thoughts on the time schedule.....
jt914-6
There is a DE at Memphis on the 12-13th of Sept. I and some others would like to make that event. It would be nice for us if the MUSR was not on that date. I know the MUSR date doesn't revolve around us, but I would like to do both and not have to choose between the two......
Rusty
I'm easy on the date, with two caveats:

1. The hotel selected needs to have the weekend free.
2. The event should be before the time change.

Other drags on attendance may be: too close to Halloween (for Ramblers with kids), too close to Thanksgiving (for those with limited vacation days).

But, based on hotel availability - we might not have a choice at all.
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 1 2009, 09:34 AM) *

There is a DE at Memphis on the 12-13th of Sept. I and some others would like to make that event. It would be nice for us if the MUSR was not on that date. I know the MUSR date doesn't revolve around us, but I would like to do both and not have to choose between the two......

Tenative date is weekend after MMS DE. Sept 17-20.

We have two hotels(Arlington/Clarion) that are open that weekend and I am going to get some final proposals from them this week.

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP
.............Sorry for double post.............

pcar916
A thought on the tech session, we could do a 914 transmission build in an hour under an awning... which I happen to have as well. That can happen anywhere (engine stand(s), a portable vise, a table and a few tools. There are several spare diffs too with bearings, spacers and shims to show diff and pinion depth setup.

I have a couple of 915's as well that could be displayed so folks can see the differences in the later generation boxes.

There if we want to.

~Ron
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 1 2009, 11:29 AM) *

We have two hotels(Arlington/Clarion) that are open that weekend and I am going to get some final proposals from them this week.

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP

How hard would it be to get the MUSR folks on track at the DE? We could have that as a driving event.

I am sure we could drop the Rally or a tech session for it.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *

A thought on the tech session, we could do a 914 transmission build in an hour under an awning... which I happen to have as well. That can happen anywhere (engine stand(s), a portable vise, a table and a few tools. There are several spare diffs too with bearings, spacers and shims to show diff and pinion depth setup.

I have a couple of 915's as well that could be displayed so folks can see the differences in the later generation boxes.

There if we want to.

~Ron

Ron,
Most of the MUSR participants would not really be into a transmission rebuild. Frankly, it would bore most of the participants. They want simple, beginner stuff.

BTW... did some snorkeling in Montego Bay today, and we are off to Grand Cayman to feed the stingrays tomorrow. bootyshake.gif
jt914-6
Clay, The DE in Memphis is a good 2 1/2 hours away and it usually is full. Everyone would need helments and such, the event would last ALL day and begin EARLY Sat. I think most if not all would enjoy a trip to Mt. Magazine or somewhere else. Driving to Memphis, doing a DE then driving back to HS would be a very hard day. I just don't think it would work......Have fun and pet a corvette for us....
pcar916
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 3 2009, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 1 2009, 11:29 AM) *

DLST is Nov 1 this year.

KP

How hard would it be to get the MUSR folks on track at the DE? We could have that as a driving event.

I am sure we could drop the Rally or a tech session for it.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 2 2009, 09:36 AM) *

There if we want to.

~Ron

Ron,
Most of the MUSR participants would not really be into a transmission rebuild. Frankly, it would bore most of the participants. They want simple, beginner stuff.

BTW... did some snorkeling in Montego Bay today, and we are off to Grand Cayman to feed the stingrays tomorrow. bootyshake.gif

Glad you're under water a lot these days Clay. About the tech session, I wasn't proposing the transmission session as a replacement for the door.

I think that's a good and useful session. Offered at the same time, this will simply present two levels of technical interest, not burden the schedule, and give those few that itch for a bit more depth something to scratch.

If as many as 3 to 5 folks were to want to see a transmission it offers value to the event and another view into our cars. As for some of the less technical crowd they might just be interested in a view of what happens inside their tranny's when they move that shift lever. The less magic the better.

The beauty is that it poses no more logistical challenges to us as planners than running one session. It only effects me in fact. I'm willing unless there is an overwhelming reason NOT to do it... might keep a few out of the bar for a while! beer.gif

~Ron
On the Friday drive maybe a Poker Run thru the Scenic Loop and West Mountain Drive on to Crater Diamonds Park(where exactly is this at?). Lots of good photo ops. If I can pick a few back roads thru town we could pass by Oaklawn also. I can do that from Clarion down Harpers Ferry.

This is just thinking out loud since if we drive to Mt Mag. that needs to be a steady drive. Even if we only got as far as Ola at the 7 and 28 intersection. It looks like 28 is a road that needs to be driven as well as 298 across north side of Ouachita.

KP

pcar916
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 6 2009, 10:51 PM) *

On the Friday drive maybe a Poker Run thru the Scenic Loop and West Mountain Drive on to Crater Diamonds Park(where exactly is this at?). Lots of good photo ops. If I can pick a few back roads thru town we could pass by Oaklawn also. I can do that from Clarion down Harpers Ferry.

This is just thinking out loud since if we drive to Mt Mag. that needs to be a steady drive. Even if we only got as far as Ola at the 7 and 28 intersection. It looks like 28 is a road that needs to be driven as well as 298 across north side of Ouachita.

KP

Hi KP,
What's a poker run? ~Ron
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 7 2009, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 6 2009, 10:51 PM) *

KP

Hi KP,
What's a poker run? ~Ron

We are home again... sad.gif

A poker run is where at the stopping points the event planners give out playing cards. At the end of the run, the person with the best poker hand gets a prize.

Personally, poker runs don't thrill me........
jt914-6
The crater of diamonds park is about 65 miles from the west side of Hot Springs. It is located a few miles south of Murfreesboro.

Taking 298 off of Hy. 7 is longer than going Hy. 7 to 314 to Hy. 27. or Hy. 7 to Ola.

From Hy. 7 & 5 out of Hot Springs:
73 miles---Hy. 7 to Ola, Hy. 10 to Havana to Hy. 309 to Mt. Magazine
76 miles---Hy. 7 to Hy. 314 to Hy. 27 to Ola to Hy. 10 to Havana & to Mt. Magazine
89 miles---Hy. 7 to Hy. 298 to Hy. 27 to Ola to Hy. 10 to Havana & to Mt. Magazine

We could go one way up and another back.......
jt914-6
Another activity option. I talked to Mid America Museum today. It is a science museum that I've been to several times. It has "hands on" exhibits, a laser light show, a simulator, and the world's largest Tesla Coil, it is 1.5 million volts of caged lightning. It is open from 10:00am to 5:00pm Tues-Sun.

For groups of 15 or more the cost is $6.00 ea. plus tax-- general admission
If you want to see the laser light show and do the simulator it is $10.00 plus tax

Regular admission is $8.00 plus tax-- gerneral admissoin
$11.00 GA and laser show & simulator

They have a nice large parking lot and I could see if they could block off a section for us. They need to know if a group is coming no less than a week in advance.

There is a great road that we could take to get there from downtown Hot Springs. Does the name "Black Snake Road" give you a hint????

Just another option that wouldn't take all day, close to the motel and other roads to drive from there.
914four
Any idea when this event might be announced in the garage?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(PH1 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:11 PM) *

Any idea when this event might be announced in the garage?

It is mentioned in the Garage. Just hasn't been updated recently. I think Clay is waiting until he has the schedule nailed down.
ClayPerrine
I need numbers from the hotel before I can announce registration. I need to figure the cost per person.
I don't have signed copy pdf'ed here at home but here is what was signed.
Also food menu's to decide from for banquet.

Clay, I assume you recv'd email that I sent with Petit Jean Lodge lunch info?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Diamond mine is $7 each unless we have 15 people then group rate of $3.5 each. which would include about 30 min with an Interpretor(rock guru). They rent equipment if anyone is interested in digging.

I figured Jason's could be a spot to eat but it would be at end of loop to mine.
Could the night Rally be started from Jason's and not hotel?

KP

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 31 2009, 09:34 PM) *

I don't have signed copy pdf'ed here at home but here is what was signed.
Also food menu's to decide from for banquet.

Clay, I assume you recv'd email that I sent with Petit Jean Lodge lunch info?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Diamond mine is $7 each unless we have 15 people then group rate of $3.5 each. which would include about 30 min with an Interpretor(rock guru). They rent equipment if anyone is interested in digging.

I figured Jason's could be a spot to eat but it would be at end of loop to mine.
Could the night Rally be started from Jason's and not hotel?

KP

What I need is a cost per head for the event. We will get reimbursed by PCA for some of the money, but I need to know what you have figured up.

Include the diamond mine in it, and base it on the minimum number of people to keep the hotel group rate.

I need this fairly quick so we can get the signup info going.

100 night for room w/ taxes
5 a head breakfast 3 times
Pizza on Thur(here Rod's is the best)??
Lunch Friday Mac like..5 a head
Diamond Mine 3.5 a head
Dinner Jasons 10-15 head
Lunch at Petit Jean 10-15 head
Banquet looked like 900 total is what hotel expects or abut 15 a head for two item buffet.
No gas included.

Looks like maybe 400 a head if all expenses were incured with all single rooms if I am not leaving anything out. Thought this was more under cat herding title...LOL

We do need to get this thing advertised........Just my opine since my CC is on the line...

KP
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Aug 1 2009, 09:24 PM) *

100 night for room w/ taxes
5 a head breakfast 3 times
Pizza on Thur(here Rod's is the best)??
Lunch Friday Mac like..5 a head
Diamond Mine 3.5 a head
Dinner Jasons 10-15 head
Lunch at Petit Jean 10-15 head
Banquet looked like 900 total is what hotel expects or abut 15 a head for two item buffet.
No gas included.

Looks like maybe 400 a head if all expenses were incured with all single rooms if I am not leaving anything out. Thought this was more under cat herding title...LOL

We do need to get this thing advertised........Just my opine since my CC is on the line...

KP

Need the total without the lunches and the room fees.

I will get it from here and get registration open.

Thanks!
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 3 2009, 10:54 PM) *

I will get it from here and get registration open.
Thanks!

Thx...Clay!
You have more experience with these things. I have none!
If there is something I have left off that you need just let me know.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.