Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing....single and double TRAILERS...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So back in the day....I towed a 5th wheel and a car trailer behind my F-350 to PCA meets. The Rocket didn't need any support but my sorry ass did....comfort was a good thing and I was cheap....

Didn't need a special license or nothing.

Bad news, I hooked up a boat trailer...my SKI SUPREME and a Jet Ski and now I need a Class A non commercial and special insurance....

Oh well, got my new hitch inspected. Got a pass, next week get the license.

Here's some pics......will post the double rig when they getoutta the paint shop.
dbgriffith75
Has California required a license to f**k yet? Seems like I'm always hearing about some new law or regulation they put in place.

...And some people wonder why I have no interest to live there.
zymurgist
Any way you can make the last trailer look like a little red caboose?
Elliot Cannon
Cars? Boats? Trailers? Trucks? You must for the gumint somewhere. lol-2.gif
dkjens
I know the law says the first trailer must have brakes, which of course your boat trailer does. I don't know however if it specifies which kind. Most boat trailers have hydraulic brakes, make sure the law doesn't specify they must be electric.

And about backing up, I think one unhitches the second trailer when that needs to be done he he.
jmill
Some states won't let you pull doubles. At least California hasn't banned that yet, but I think they believe it might cause cancer.
charliew
My son has a low hour mastercraft he is trying to sell in FT. Worth. The economy is hurting his finances. It looks like new.

I saw this looking for his boat. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/1183290060.html It sure would be a nice way to haul my cars.
URY914
Most drivers (not Mike) can't pull one trailer and some people think they can pull two.
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Boat? Jet skis? Why not take it all? I'm surprised you don't have a second deck above the boat for gear...
Joe Bob
Well, passed the driving test for the Class A license....I'm legal to tow doubles....
yeahmag
Wonder how often they'll pull you over to "check"...
Joe Bob
I'm gonna do a vinyl sign on the rear...."Yes, I have a Class A License".......
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I don't think that's legal in Ohio, at least i have never saw regular people towing

double. They had a big referendum and stink when they allowed UPS, FED X .

and others to tow double and triples. I have a hard enough time with a12 ft.

utility trailer. You have my admiration for just trying that ! Dave slap.gif

Mike : You could add to the sign " With the the blessing of Arnold"
Joe Bob
I'm not gonna do any backing up....mostly freeway/hiway driving....
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

" I'm not going to do any backing up" WE will remember that! Dave slap.gif
Joe Bob
Only if I already ran over a Patrick Motor Sports owner.....
r_towle
I think CA is the only damn place I have heard of that they let people do this...to me it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen....

A single trailer...fine.
A double...I would stay a long way away from anyone IC towing that...

I am sure you will be fine, your a smart guy....but damn crazy looking.

My wife showed me a picture of her uncle when they came across country from sandiego.
They were in a 24 foot motor home towing a pop-up trailer which was towing a boat...It just looked wrong.

Rich
URY914
You can pull a double in Florida. I've seen a 5th wheel RV with a boat behind it. I give them a with berth when passing.
hot_shoe914
A lot of states allow it but with restrictions. Most won't allow two bumper pull trailer but will allow a 5th wheel set up with a bumper pull behind that.
markb
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 24 2009, 12:40 PM) *

Cars? Boats? Trailers? Trucks? You must for the gumint somewhere. lol-2.gif

I notice you left out the word "work". biggrin.gif
Project 6
Says the "other" gubmint worker......
underthetire
From what i understand, you can not pull a double in Ca, unless the first trailer is a fifth wheel. Can not be a bumper pull. Also can not exceed a certain length, don't remember what that was.

Thats why I see "rack" trailers in our area with the jet ski's over the boat.
markb
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jul 8 2009, 08:40 AM) *

Says the "other" gubmint worker......

Yup. biggrin.gif
'cept they caught on & are giving me furloughs now. hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.