Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Temporary Exchange...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
Can I exchange my 3 port fuel pump temporarily to a late model single port? Is it not a good idea to plug the Fuel pump return line (I see that it goes to the pressure regulator and I believe the return line to the tank)? Please advise.

Edit: The wife is driving me crazy to get this thing on the road! We carpool to work everyday and she's getting a little testy. chair.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif hanged.gif help.gif
tradisrad
You do need to return the fuel to the tank. Even the late models return the fuel to the tank.
the gas comes from the tank and then to the pump, around your FI system where it hits the pressure regulator then back to the pump and to the tank. I think if you do not return the fuel to the tank you will have too much pressure and that may cause leaks and lead to a fire.
I could be wrong, but is it worth finding out the hard way?
Tell the wife you must do it right...
banger
Yes, you can plug the fuel pump return line. This line should "T" with return line to the tank. You could take the T out, so the return goes directly from the pressure regulator to the tank. The early fuel pumps had an over pressure valve, which fed into the return lines. The newer pumps do not have this.
montoya 73 2.0
Okay, I think i found the main reason. After being under Lola for awhile trying to remove those stubborn hoses I realized that the shop that did the full tune up put the filter after the pump. headbang.gif The filter was still dirty but I can only imagine whats inside the pump. Damn it! Cool! Thank you for your knowledge and input. I guess this is the perfect example of why I should do my own tune-ups. I just don't want to but this is a good reason!

One question regarding the later style pump. Which end is the in and out? One port is large and one is small (the small end is between the + & -).

Edit: Nevermind, Found a picture at PP.

QUOTE(banger @ May 24 2009, 02:14 PM) *

Yes, you can plug the fuel pump return line. This line should "T" with return line to the tank. You could take the T out, so the return goes directly from the pressure regulator to the tank. The early fuel pumps had an over pressure valve, which fed into the return lines. The newer pumps do not have this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.