Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replaced the Rubber Steering Coupler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
I just installed the new billit aluminum steering coupler on my DD this weekend.

To bring everybody up to date; A few months ago Brad over at the Club site mentioned in a thread that he had fabricated some solid steering couplers for his race cars. I spoke up and asked to get one. After a short time, Mark Garriott on the Club site stepped up and produced a run, one of which I purchased. My concern was that it might make my ride a bit stiff.

Since I got my 914 three years ago, it had some really difficult front end-problems starting at about 72 MPH. Some bouncing and severe shake until about 90 MPH. My attempts to remedy the problem included: replace front wheel bearings, replace tie rods with turbo tie rods, rebuild steering box, replace ball joints, replace front bushings with elephant Polybronze bearings, replace steering wheel bearings, replace the front struts and a front end alignment. All of these helped a bit, but the shaking continued. I finally broke down and purchased four new tires - Falken ZIEX 512-B (195/60R-15). Amazing - the shaking is gone!!!

But back to the steering coupler. Now that the shaking is gone, I spent the weekend removing the front suspension and replacing the rubber adapter biscuit with the aluminum one from Mark. The aluminum adaper had some very tight clearances for the four bolts, but with some encouragement (BFH) they fit in nicely. Once I re-installed the front suspension, it was time for a test drive. I chose I-5 between Irvine and Anaheim. This is a highly traveled portion of the road with lots of ruts, uneven road surfaces and grooves. The car drove like a dream. On the twisty surface roads and hiway entrances/exits, the cornering demonstrated a significant improvement. The hi-speed rough hiway surfaces produced no noticable increase in steering road-feel, so my concern about experiencing rough steering with the solid aluminum adapter proved to be of no concern.

In my opinion, I would encourage anyone to contact Mark and immediately replace the 35-year old rubber coupler with the solid aluminum biscuit. By the same token, I would highly reccomend the Falken tires for any DD.

My apologies for the long post with no pictures. I was working pretty hard on this project, and just didn't take any time to stop and take pics.

Eric Read

edit: Oops-I forgot t mention I also replaced my reviera whels with four-lug Fuchs repros.
Krieger
I installed mine easily with no hammer. Car is still on stands. Can't wait to drive....one day
Wes V
QUOTE(ericread @ May 24 2009, 08:07 PM) *

Oops-I forgot t mention I also replaced my reviera whels with four-lug Fuchs repros.

Eric;i

It was the replacement of those "revieva whels" that solved the problem.

Actually, I'd like to know why you needed to uses a BFH to install it!

Wes
ericread
QUOTE(Wes V @ May 25 2009, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 24 2009, 08:07 PM) *

Oops-I forgot t mention I also replaced my reviera whels with four-lug Fuchs repros.

Eric;i

It was the replacement of those "revieva whels" that solved the problem.

Actually, I'd like to know why you needed to uses a BFH to install it!

Wes

Yep! Those damn "revieva whels" lol3.gif

As for the BFH, the tolerances in for the holes were a bit tight so that the bolts didn't "easily" fit. A few hammer strokes and the bolts were through the adapter so I could use a wrench to tighten them up. No big deal.

Heading up to Lake Arrowhead this morning (YAY!)

Eric
ericread
Took a drive up to Big Bear Lake this afternoon. Thought I'd attach a picture of my car with the "new" Fuchs repros.

Click to view attachment

Eric
jonferns
Looks great, love the color! smilie_pokal.gif Needs some sail vinyl wink.gif
ConeDodger
Eric,
Glad to hear you had success with the solid bushing. Give us a play by play on how you did this install. Even if people aren't doing the aluminum bushing, the new rubber ones go in the same way (if you can buy them).

Datsun Competition has offered a hard poly bisquit for the Z, 510, etc since the 70's. It really livens up the steering response.

I'd bet the belts were spliting on your old tires! Although, you did add a variable with the change in wheels.

Nice looking car! Sail fin vinyl might set off the wheels...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.