Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: REPLACE YOUR FUEL FILTERS !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
do i have this marked correctly or reversed?

pic replaced with new pic reflcting slits comment
SLITS
Switch your tags and you will have it correct. Fuel in ... big line. Fuel out ... little line (also near the power terminals).
jimkelly
thanks

hey new pic - some lovely orange color came out of fuel filter - is this gold ??
jimkelly
that is weird - the fuel comes out of the tank and to the filter in small ID hose - then from fuel filter to fuel pump in large ID hose - then from fuel pump to engine bay in small ID hose.

why the diameter changes?

advanced auto had to order my filter - should be here tomorrow.

jim
McMark
If you have that much rust in your filter, you should REALLY 'rebuild' your gas tank.
jimkelly
yeah - i sorta had the feeling you were not gonna tell me that rust in my fuiel lines was gonna be good for another 5-10 hp : )

QUOTE(McMark @ May 25 2009, 10:44 AM) *

If you have that much rust in your filter, you should REALLY 'rebuild' your gas tank.

SLITS
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 25 2009, 09:08 AM) *

that is weird - the fuel comes out of the tank and to the filter in small ID hose - then from fuel filter to fuel pump in large ID hose - then from fuel pump to engine bay in small ID hose.

why the diameter changes?

advanced auto had to order my filter - should be here tomorrow.

jim

Electric fuel pumps are "pushers" not suckers, which is why they are properly mounted below the fuel level to flood the suction of the pump, much like a /6 oil pump .... flooded suction.

So, in theory, a large suction line (no pressure) can morph to a small line (pressure). However, that stated, the '75 - '76 had the same size suction and discharge -- go figure, only the engineers know.

And the filters I use have 7mm in and out ..... not a problem as far as I am concerned ... inexpensive too!
Katmanken
That may be a pump for a different vehicle.

The Bosch inline pumps seem to be very similar and differ in minor details such as inlet or outlet diameter, and the type of connector to plug into.

I have a Vanagon with a Bosch inline pump that uses a huge pressurized fuel filter downstream from the pump and one of the inlets or outlets is larger. If I remember right, the large diameter is the outlet and is sized to feed that large filter.

You need to do something about that crud or buy a 12 pack of filters. It don't take long to plug a filter that size.

I got a load of rust and crud in the Vanagon from the gas station. It must have been 3/4 of an inch thick in the bottom of the tank because I spent 35 minutes at the car wash with the high pressure hose watching that crud pour from that tank. It wasn't all tank rust as there was way more crud in the tank than the metal used to make the tank....

My guess was a pump at the refinery must have eaten itself. Of course Ohio laws allow bad gas to be shipped to us, so when the refinery drained the dregs, they sent them to my FORMER gas station.....

To the good, the 914 filter is upstream from the pump so you won't need to buy a pump - unless you run it dry.....
Cap'n Krusty
Samll end is the outlet, large end is the inlet. Some Vanagons have a plastic filter, this very one, BEFORE the pump. Others have a hose adapter. All Vanagons have a metal filter, which has 3 small ends, AFTER the pump. Be sure that kink in the pump inlet hose doesn't remain there after installation, or you're gonna have pump-killing starvation problems. Good luck with Adavnced Auto Parts, one of those stores where they carry almost nothing for 914s, and what they can get is invariably either wrong or overpriced. Or both. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.