Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Experience with a dyno lab?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
There is a speed shop in town that has a real nice dyno lab and I would like to see what kind of hp my v8 teener is producing. This dyno allows for 3 runs for $80 and includes A/F.

After reading about dynos, I have a few questions. I am not trying to diagnose my running gear, just some timing, checking my A/F ratio and measuring horespower. So from what I've read it is recommended that I do all three runs in same gear, 3rd, 4th or 5th, as opposed of each run in a different gear.

What gear would you use...and do you have any tips or suggestions. Obviously, I've never done this before.
Thanks

Jake Raby
On my dynojet we test in the gear thats closest to 1:1 drive.

Do the runs at the same temp and make sure the gear oil and engine oil are up to temp before hammering down..
SGB
Thanks Jake- I've wondered this before too.
wertygrog
my dyno shop used 3rd, FWIW.
charliew
The idea is to have a pretty quick pull from where the torque begins to where the hp tops out as quickly as possible. Probably 4th with the 901. I would do the timing before the dyno. Have you thought about where you will tie the car down at? Good luck.
computers4kids
According to the gear charts, 4th appears to be closest to a 1:1 ratio. Both 3rd and 4th are pretty wicked with the SBC. As far as the tie down points, I do have trailering tie down points on the rear shocks and some mounted to where the old torsion caps (3 bolt mount) use to be. The Renegade engine bar could be an additional point.

Where would you tie down to? I saw over there on the club site they were having a dyno day down in San Diego next weekend for $50 for three pulls...but that's a bit far from me.

Anyone have some pics of their 914 on a dyno?

J P Stein
Got a vid.....a 3rd gear pull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uH3lie1HDE...player_embedded
charliew
I think you would want the rear suspension compressed some to use the car springs to force the tires into the drum. I don't know if the tire slip can be checked. It may not be a problem if you increase rpm gradually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.