Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: while it's up on jack stands....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
messix
i'm really getting the itch to toss a sbc in the snow flake. i've been day dreaming of some things to do that haven't been done in a 914 and the sound of a 3" stroke mill is really calling out to me. i'm thinking a alloy head 300 - 327 ish and running around 450 - 500 hp [ some of the hp estimators are pretty optimistic giving me 550-600hp]. the thought of needing a 930 box is whats really smacking back to reality. but that siren of a 8k rpm small block is really sexy.

but then today was such a nice 914 day i came close to thowing it back together enough to make it street legal and go for a drive.
pete-stevers
get er back togather!! and get it on the damn road...quit dreaming , get wrenching, and git'er done
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(messix @ May 25 2009, 09:34 PM) *

i'm really getting the itch to toss a sbc in the snow flake. i've been day dreaming of some things to do that haven't been done in a 914 and the sound of a 3" stroke mill is really calling out to me. i'm thinking a alloy head 300 - 327 ish and running around 450 - 500 hp [ some of the hp estimators are pretty optimistic giving me 550-600hp]. the thought of needing a 930 box is whats really smacking back to reality. but that siren of a 8k rpm small block is really sexy.

but then today was such a nice 914 day i came close to thowing it back together enough to make it street legal and go for a drive.

Of course, you'll need 180° headers on that lump... aktion035.gif
messix
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 26 2009, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(messix @ May 25 2009, 09:34 PM) *

kinda sumthun like that!
messix
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ May 26 2009, 12:02 AM) *

get er back togather!! and get it on the damn road...quit dreaming , get wrenching, and git'er done

it's body work, sheet metal. and i hate bondo, so i'm trying to get it all to where a skim coat will do it.
6freak
come get your hood
charliew
You might do a search on the audi/boxter trannys for a alternative to the 930. Also 400hp in a high winding 302 or 327 is a lot more believeable on a moderate 5k motor budget that will be reliable.
dgw
Dirk Wright
McMark
Bah, if'n your itch'n ta be drivin', don't be addin' no more projects! Plus, who wants 500 hp in a 914. tongue.gif
maf914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 25 2009, 11:04 PM) *

I was watching Two Guys Garage (I know, Lame-O! laugh.gif ) on Sunday while waiting for the Indy 500 broadcast and they showed some V-8 headers that were very compact and configured 4-2-1 for each bank of cylinders. Anybody familiar with these? Just in case I want to get a V-8.
dkjens
4-2-1 headers are also referred to as Tri-Y headers. Whereas 180 degree crossover headers are the perfect solution for a small block Chevy and Fords with similar "firing problem", the Tri-Y headers are an attempt to obtain a better result than what 4-1 headers presents.

A set of 180 degree crossover headers are either going to cost you a fortune, demand many hours of yout time if making them yourself, or be really hard to fit in your 914. I have a set from Schoenfeld in my 914 on a 283 small block. One collector pointed straight into the transmission mount, so I just decided to cut the whole trunk and transmission cross mount out and weld in tubes for rigidity and to hang the transmission from. I'm running dual 3.5" pipe into small 8" long Schoenfeld race "mufflers". It sounded great but was loud and would attract more attention from the B/W than I was comfortable with, so I just welded a couple of Supertraps on with all 12 discs in each, much better and still almost open exhaust.
messix
one idea for the exhaust was to take a set of headers and cut them up to get the kind of set up i want. i'll have to do some more reading.
i'm planing on keeping it a narrow body, and to keep as much of the trunks intact as possible. some tube work will have to be done.
i should just locate a flared roller for this project....... oh Greenie!
effutuo101
Hey Troy I like the dream, but... poke.gif
right now a 1.7 is faster then your car.... chair.gif I think my kid on his bike is too. hmmm. You have a few guys within spitting distance of your house to get it all sorted out. Then grennie can come direct you on how to finish up the detials. You need three things:
1. name a time
2. name a place
3. provide the beverages

So, get er done!
sixnotfour
snow flake.

WTF ? man up
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 27 2009, 11:12 PM) *

snow flake.

WTF ? man up

the car was named by my duaghter, she has named them all, the truck is named clifford the big red truck.
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 27 2009, 11:12 PM) *

snow flake.

WTF ? man up

lol-2.gif

Well, he is pretty flakey. poke.gif
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 27 2009, 11:08 PM) *

Hey Troy I like the dream, but... poke.gif
right now a 1.7 is faster then your car.... chair.gif I think my kid on his bike is too. hmmm. You have a few guys within spitting distance of your house to get it all sorted out. Then grennie can come direct you on how to finish up the detials. You need three things:
1. name a time
2. name a place
3. provide the beverages

So, get er done!

maybe we'll have to set up a cut and patch day at rich's with jeff doing the surgery on the fender and sail. i was trying to save the fender, but the damage goes to far down behind the bumper and the head light bucket. the wheel wells are looking pretty good.
effutuo101
maybe he can add fierce to it... Fierce snow flake.... popcorn[1].gif

just giving you crap. but, you better hurry up. your daughter will be driving before you are done....
sixnotfour
OK play the daughter card Agian, As long as you put "ice man" on your helmet.
I cannot perform any surgery Untill the pumkin gets hips.
messix
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ May 27 2009, 11:25 PM) *

maybe he can add fierce to it... Fierce snow flake.... popcorn[1].gif

just giving you crap. but, you better hurry up. your daughter will be driving before you are done....

hey hey now .....i remember not long ago that i was running around in snow flake while your car was ........ in pieces.... not once but ......?!
messix
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 27 2009, 11:29 PM) *

OK play the daughter card Agian, As long as you put "ice man" on your helmet.
I cannot perform any surgery Untill the pumkin gets hips.

why?
effutuo101

Pumpkin 5 is alive! The wife says the car needs curves and hips. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.