Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb linkages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
lookiing to replace the linkage on my dual weber 40,s. looked at the cb performance linkage kit and hex cross bar. seems nice. what are you guys using? what length crossbar for a 2.0
nice to post a non terminal question for a change
URY914
Triad is the best IMHO- but others will disagree.
nycchef
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 26 2009, 05:22 AM) *

Triad is the best IMHO- but others will disagree.

flaps item or is there a website?
SGB
Triad is a one-man show. I'm sure you can google him up. CB linkage is OK, but aluminum crossbar is soft and lever arms always work loose after a while. That makes balancing really difficult. I've tied mine down with bolts tapped into the bar instead of the set screw it comes with.
nycchef
QUOTE(SGB @ May 26 2009, 06:44 AM) *

Triad is a one-man show. I'm sure you can google him up. CB linkage is OK, but aluminum crossbar is soft and lever arms always work loose after a while. That makes balancing really difficult. I've tied mine down with bolts tapped into the bar instead of the set screw it comes with.

googled triad $245.00 for the linkage is a little too rich for me right now. cb performance closer to $80. any other options?
CliffBraun
QUOTE(SGB @ May 26 2009, 07:44 AM) *

Pretty sure they switched over to steel crossbar now, I've got aluminum on mine, but I went out and bought hex bar. Right now I'm dealing with wear on the aluminum one from being the bearing surface. I'd go with the CB set up, cheap, long lasting, relatively easy.
tomeric914
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ May 26 2009, 11:13 AM) *

Pretty sure they switched over to steel crossbar now, I've got aluminum on mine...

The crossbar is steel on both of the setups I have. One was purchased 10 years ago, the other was purchased last year.

I have never had the lever arms loosen up on me.
curt914
Hello

Another consideration is the bell crank type linkage.

Read this 914World thread and look at the picture in post #10 with more pictures on the second page.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=88538&st=0

I ended up buying the bell crank type linkage as a result of reading that thread and after fiddling with the CB performance for a while.
Im happier with the bell crank type of linkage at this point.

One place all the linkages seem to leave you high and dry is what to do with the throttle cable. None of them come with a way to mount the end of the throttle cable.
On the bell type from above an additonal problem is that the linkage is mounted at the rear of the engine. I had to extend my throttle cable to reach.

Lastly there is a fellow in the 914World venders section who has just started to make and advertise a bell crank linkage system. Look here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=95220

Looks very well done and he no doubt will have sugegestions as to what to do with the throttle cable issue. Good luck.
Curt
nycchef
QUOTE(curt914 @ May 26 2009, 07:34 AM) *
Hello

Another consideration is the bell crank type linkage.

On the bell type from above an additonal problem is that the linkage is mounted at the rear of the engine. I had to extend my throttle cable to reach.

did you have to drill out or tap into the block to mount the bell crank system? how did you extend the cable? i am leaning toward the bell crank.
thanks rich
curt914
Hi AGain

The bellcrank system mounts to the rear of the engine. You remove two (large ) bolts (that are already there), mount the bellcrank. thread the bolts back through and tighten.

This is where you get the bellcrank system as shown in post #10 of the other thread, though I do see they are out of stock at the moment.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...129%2D941%2D400

Actualy I just remembered that Chris at Tangerine Racing may have these, maybe Jake Raby also.

You have to find some way of holding the end of the throttle cable and there are not too many places to mount such a thing.
I made a very ugly holder out of square stock and mounted it to the fan housing.

To lenghten the cable, I noted that the end of mine had a threaded end on it. I went to ACE Hardware and bought some brass bits and pieces and some cable.
I drilled and tapped the the brass stock to match the threads on the throttle cable. I fished through some cable into that piece and connected the other end to the new belcrank throttle linkage. Also note, you might need to do something about a return spring also.

Worked like a charm. Though when I finally bring my car in to see the Cap'n in Santa Maria, I fully expect to see him shaking his head when he sees it smile.gif

I am also told that some throttle cables are longer than others but I have not checked that out.

Bottom line, no matter which throttle linkage you go with, your stuck dealing with provding a mount for the throttle cable.

Check out the guy in the vendor section, he may have that problem solved.

Curt
nycchef
curt thanks for the info, i think i'm gonna go with that set up .looks sturdier than the standard over the top linkage. will check with racer cris and jake or just muddle along till they get more in stock
rich
type2man
I have the CSP linkage in my beetle and it works great. By looking at it I think you can flip the connecting arm to the throttle around and attach it directly to the throttle cable.

Click to view attachment
nycchef
Got any pics? That bell crank looks sweet on the type 1. I've got the CB performance Hex bar type on my IDF's not perfect but it gets the job done.

Scott

scott i am definetly gonna pick one up . it looks much sturdier than the crossbar type. put myself on a wishlist at their site will get an e mail when its back it stock will let you know. quick update had the battery charged, put it in fired right up, ray reminded me that i have a vacuum pump from the old( "is my mps working?) days gonna bleed the brakes and fix the horn this weekend, get it inspected adjusted the linkage today both sides seem to be moving the same, had a little problem finding the right tension for the gas pedal but i,ll get it
rich
type2man
I dont know if you are referring to me but it's not a type 1. It's a type 4....2733cc....and yes i have 2 914's also....I'm not hijacking this thread you can se the linkage in the rear... shades.gif

Click to view attachment
azbill
Take a look at the "Sidewinder Throttle Control" in the vendors forum. The price is $175.00 shipped.
nycchef
QUOTE(azbill @ May 26 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Take a look at the "Sidewinder Throttle Control" in the vendors forum. The price is $175.00 shipped.

looks great, just out of my price range right now.
Rav914
I bought this set-up used from Camp914. I sourced the linkage arms from Pierce Manifolds and the hardware from a local store. I made the throttle cable holder with a piece of steel, a vice, and a BFH.

All the parts can be bought from Pierce Manifolds too.

tomeric914
QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 27 2009, 10:31 AM) *

I bought this set-up used from Camp914. I sourced the linkage arms from Pierce Manifolds and the hardware from a local store. I made the throttle cable holder with a piece of steel, a vice, and a BFH.

Looks like a variation on the Weltmeister/Triad setup. I tossed 2 of those setups in the trash last year because they were just plain worn out and sloppy.

I've since stopped throwing stuff out... blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.