Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission...grinding shifts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
my 901 grinds bad going into 2nd gear while driving. Goes in fine if stopped. Is this for sure the synchros, or could it be an adjustment of some kind?
craig3x
QUOTE(craig3x @ May 26 2009, 04:59 PM) *

my 901 grinds bad going into 2nd gear while driving. Goes in fine if stopped. Is this for sure the synchros, or could it be an adjustment of some kind?

I should clarify...I can't even get it to go into 2nd gear at all while moving. If it is synchros, what should I expect to pay for a tranny rebuild?
r_towle
Its the dog teeth and slider that have worn out and have rounded ends because the synchros are worn out.

The full monty...4-5k.
Simple quicky...search for Dr Evil.
On his signature is an article how to take out the gear stack and ship it to him to repair.

Look up DNHUNT in the classics thread forums to see picture by picture how to take it apart and put it back together again..

Rich
craig3x
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2009, 05:24 PM) *

Its the dog teeth and slider that have worn out and have rounded ends because the synchros are worn out.

The full monty...4-5k.
On his signature is an article how to take out the gear stack and ship it to him to repair.

Look up DNHUNT in the classics thread forums to see picture by picture how to take it apart and put it back together again..

Rich

$4k -$5k? My friend had his corvette tranny rebuilt for cheaper than that! Damn! Anyone got a good 901 tranny for sale in the Sacramento,CA area?
jcd914
QUOTE(craig3x @ May 26 2009, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 26 2009, 05:24 PM) *

The full monty...4-5k.

Rich

$4k -$5k? My friend had his corvette tranny rebuilt for cheaper than that! Damn! Anyone got a good 901 tranny for sale in the Sacramento,CA area?

Tail shift or side shift?
I have a couple of side shifters.
There also some of us around that could help you fix yours or get it fixed.
You should join us for the "The May Sacramento Porsche Family Reunion" this Sunday May 31st.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1165795

Jim

Millerwelds
Do a member search for Dr. Evil. I just had him ship me a trans and he may have another one ready to ship. He has a great reputation and it will cost you way less then $4000.
r_towle
I gave you options.
Full monty is all new parts.
A 35 year old mid engine tranny...not a chevy tranny.
How many mid engine trannies do you know? not to many right...

The thrust of a mid engine tranny puts pressure on parts that were not setup for lots of miles and being pushed to hard.
Bearings are the main issue.
They die eventually.
You can do what we all do...collect trannies..learn how to strip them and scavange parts.
The 2nd-5th gear sliders and dogteeth are the same...
5th typically does not get worn out
2nd always gets worn out..
So collect..dismantle, learn, and rebuild.

Or start writing checks.

Rich
Dr Evil
$500 labor plus parts. I can probably cut you a deal on used parts smile.gif Click my sig below.
scottb
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 27 2009, 08:27 PM) *

$500 labor plus parts. I can probably cut you a deal on used parts smile.gif Click my sig below.

do it.....

mike knows his stuff. he will let you know what you need to keep from spending too much. but if he says you need it, follow the doctors orders and you will be set. my evil tranny is great... like buttah!

cheers,

scott
EdwardBlume
I have a Dr Evil tranny, still unused, but I can attest to his understanding of the process. Take the tranny out, clean it, open it up, ship the stack to the dr, replace the seals, re-assemble, and get back on the road. You'll feel much better about yourself, trust me. Its not that hard.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.