Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint/Undercoating Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
Its been a long while since ive been here. But summer is here and now i finally have time to work on the car. Ok, so the car is on a rotisserie and im in the process of stripping the underside of the car to undercoat it all. How do you guys recommend removing it? Ive got most of the undercoating off so now im left with paint and primer under it. But my gosh that stuff was not made to come off. Paint stripper is just not doing the job. So it seems like im left with two options, sand blast, or just a wire brush to remove it all, which is taking forever right now. So any suggestions would be amazing. Thanks guys
URY914
WELCOME BACK!!!
carr914
Barry, Wire Wheel on an air tool

T.C.

I'm picking up those wheels for you tomorrow

Lou W
Aircraft Paint remover and a putty knife, one coat at a time and apply one direction only. Hi Grasshopper smile.gif
type11969
The large "knotted" wire wheels on a 4" angle grinder work for me. Also gives your forearms a good workout. Plus it is fun pulling the wires out of your skin when the wheel sheds them! The knotted wheels seem to shed them less frequently than the non-knotted.

-Chris
Cire
What about dipping the entire frame in paint remover? I know Tucson doesnt have a place but PHX does. Also, what about sand blasting it? If you are on a rotissary, it should be fairly simple.

Just a thought. = )

Eric
FourBlades

The factory primer is really hard to get off with paint stripper. You have to apply
a heavy coat without brushing back and forth a lot, just one brush stroke to put it
on. Then wait 20 minutes and scrape with a metal putty knife. I like to round the
corners of the knife to prevent gouging and sharpen the edge a little.

Not sure what primer they used or how they applied it but it is really durable.
Almost seems like it would be better to leave it on, but once you have slathered
the car with stripper I think its safer to go to bare metal. Make sure you wash
it with water three times after the stripping is done, then etch with metal ready or
ospho, then wash with water and dry, then use paint prep and prime. Simple
really. blink.gif

John
ConeDodger
I have heard of but never tried dry ice. I guess it contracts it enough that it pulls loose of the body and can be scraped off.
sean_v8_914
needle gun aka scaling gun aka scaler
http://www.didcotplant.co.uk/catalogue/detail.php?id=104
my928s4
Once the undercoating is off paint stripper worked really well for me including on the primer. By far the worst part was removing the undercoat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.