Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grill and emblem clip removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brandomc
Click to view attachmentI just picked up a 72 914 and i am trying to get the engine grill off to straighten and paint. I cant figure out how to get any of the clips off that hold the grill and the emblems on. It seems like im going to have to destroy all these clips to get this assembly appart. Is there a special tool i can pick up for removing these or do i just crush them with some plyers. Hopefull someone out there knows some tricks. Thanks
jt914-6
Try to grab them with needle nose or regular plyers and "unscrew" them like they were nuts. Pull at the same time.....
brandomc
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ May 26 2009, 05:42 PM) *

Try to grab them with needle nose or regular plyers and "unscrew" them like they were nuts. Pull at the same time.....

They are all covered with rubber, so i guess i should just plan on destroying the rubber? The clips on the emblems are really tight up against the grill, so they are hard to grab. Ill try the needlenose method. Seems like there should be a tool for this though. Thanks
markb
You can get new clips from Morph. Check the Vendors section.
jt914-6
You could also try something like a panel or tack puller. Be careful not to break the stud on the emblem.
john grier
Lets get this straight.
I think what he wants to do is lift of the whole grill section with the letters intact.
To put on another car.
Will the grill come out of the engine lid?
jt914-6
Yes the grill will come out of the frame. Same clips as emblems. Same removal procedure......
porschecb
welcome.png Use the force luke biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
with regular pliers, just squeeze the keepers in half and again @90*. they will fall off. or spend as long as it takes doing a frustrating task and still ruining the keepers. a few are very hard to get to.

k
brandomc
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 27 2009, 09:21 AM) *

with regular pliers, just squeeze the keepers in half and again @90*. they will fall off. or spend as long as it takes doing a frustrating task and still ruining the keepers. a few are very hard to get to.

k

I was able to get the grill out last night. I just used the neddle nose plier method and turned the clips until they lifted a little. Then i just squezed and pulled up and most came off fairly easy. It did sound like i broke some of the clips though. I was able to get the clips up and off without scratching any of the grill shell paint so that was a +. Thanks everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.