Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helped out a fellow 914 owner this weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SUNAB914
As the title says, a fellow owner saw me and only lives a few minutes away, so he asked me to help him get his car running. I went over monday and spent a few hours with him. The car hadn't been ran in about 8 months but it seemed to be in real good shape. Long story short, it would turn over, had spark but wouldn't fire up. The fuel pump would humm when the ignition was first turned. We added gas and I popped a line to the injectors and no fuel. We pulled the tank up and found a crimped fuel line and finally got her fired up. The problem, it would not idle, and would only go to 3K RPM. The engine sound real good, but we couldn't get it to run right. At the end I did one last check, and found sprayed fuel on the drivers side from somewhere around the injectors. It had been a long day already so, it's up to him on what he wants to do about buying the parts for fuel I said he woulkd need. I also advised that we clean the tank and replace the fuel filter. I'm not a master at the 2.0 FI, but I want him to fix the things wrong with it we found before moving on. Does anyone else have any ideas that might help.
I did get his vin and register it on this sight. The car came from CA, original Delphi Green, but is now a pretty Bronze/gold color. The odometer read 26,XXX and he says that's original. The only area of rust I found was a 50 cent piece size right next to the rear bottom jack support, but I didn't get to take his rockers off.
Just trying to help a fellow teener out.
Sleepin
Way cool! Be sure to check for vaccum leaks! It often suprises people when someone pulls up and wants to see their car in the driveway. If you are like me, I get pretty excited to meet a 914 owner that I havn't met yet.
Last year I met a guy in Post Falls, Idaho with a newly purchased '76. He gave me his business card. Turns out he is a missionary, but when he is not overseas he likes to work on cars. Once I got home, I shipped him a bunch of stuff that I spotted that he needed. Suprised the hell out of him I think.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ May 27 2009, 06:59 AM) *

I did get his vin and register it on this sight.

smilie_pokal.gif Thank you sir!

I think you're right on track. Clean out the tank, replace fuel filter, replace soft fuel lines on both ends (Under the tank and in the engine compartment).

Maybe try to get the injectors cleaned. They could be gunked up from sitting for so long.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.