Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody ever used MPT engine treatment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
I came into some free samples of it and before I just start dumping it in my vehicles, I was wondering if anybody here has used it and what you thought of it? I don't want to put any potential junk additives in my cars.
charliew
I have decided after using all the fancy stuff I could find in the past that I am better off not screwing up the additives of my oils. motor oil 101 I know it says toyota but it's the last place I could find a link to this retired blood flow (I think) doctor that studies motor oils, he is also his own mechanic on his ferrari's and such. This is long I would print it out and read it on the throne, it is worth reading. Chapter 6 I think has his reccommended choices of brands. He lives in FL. but covers what happens in cold climates also.

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/techno-wo...-oil-101-a.html
Cap'n Krusty
Junk. It contains PTFE, the use of which is NOT good for your engine. Same crap as Slick 50, which was pounded in Federal Court over unsubstantiated and unprovable advertising claims. This is just another of a seemingly endless string of snake oils for your car.

Part 2: Just because the guy's a retired doctor doesn't make him Dr. Science. Creds for one occupation don't automatically translate to another. I know a number of MDs and DDSs who think they're mechanics, winemakers, ricky racers, and such. I avoid them like the plague when they're engaged in those practices.

The Cap'n
charliew
I had a nice 94 mazda mpv from my wife after I got her a new honda and I adopted it for a driver. V6 auto, ac, got about 25 mpg and would run 85 all day long. It had a 90 degree opening rear side door that was great for loading and unloading big coolers, etc. I put that ptfe crap in it and it developed a random any lifter noise at stop lights. I always used mobil 1 and really took good care of it maintenance wise. The fix was to remove all the rockers and clean out the little hyd lifters. I just traded it in on a 2000 harley truck. I had put that stuff in everything including my lawn mower and that seems to be the only time it bit me but to be safe I'll never use any additative again.
orange914
ptfe... i dunno... i'm sold on it. years ago i was unaware my high mile d.d. work car commutor blew a oil filter on a 100* summer day. i cruised 11 miles before coming to a stop light and noticing a little rough idle. the temp. was a bit higher than normal.

new filter, oil and go, no apearant issues. many miles later i pulled the engine down for rings & bearings at 200,000 mostly out of guilt not need. no scoring or abnormal wear. i have always changed the oil religiously @ 3000 miles, for what thats worth. i would however wonder if any different issues apply to the type IV since such small amount of oil has so much to do with removing heat

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.