Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wine Country Classic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

I was talking to my friend Pat Costin last night. He's coming down to run his IMSA Porsche at the Wine Country Classic this weekend.

He said the attendance is going to be huge. They quote over 250 historic cars, but I'd bet a hundred better.

If you like "historics" it will be well worth the trip.

Here is information from the Infineon web page.

Wine Country Classic
Saturday, May 30 - Sunday, May 31, 2009
Infineon Raceway | Historic Car Races
Join Infineon Raceway as it celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Morgan at the Wine Country Classic Historic Car Races May 30-31. The Morgan first hit the streets in England in 1909, and Infineon Raceway will host one of the biggest centennial celebrations of the Morgan in North America. In all, more than 250 historic cars will grace the road course in a weekend of racing. Race fans will also enjoy the Wine Country Pavilion, featuring some of the best food and wine Sonoma and Napa have to offer, headlined by notable Bay Area chef Victor Scargle
SirAndy
Can't make it ...
sad.gif Andy
puff adder
I was just there. The place is packed. All the regulars plus many more. I saw a bunch of 935's, many many Mclarens, a beautiful Shadow, they're all there!
puff adder
It was very cool meeting you Randal, thanks for all the advice!

This event is the best event IMO for anyone who appreciates race cars.

There's cars of all years here, something for everyone. LOTS of Morgans this year, lots of Can Am cars (straight Gnar Gnar), musclecars, lots of Porsche 935's, just a huge variety, even a few 914's!

I hope to race in this event possibly next year.
Randal
QUOTE(puff adder @ May 31 2009, 07:04 AM) *

It was very cool meeting you Randal, thanks for all the advice!

This event is the best event IMO for anyone who appreciates race cars.

There's cars of all years here, something for everyone. LOTS of Morgans this year, lots of Can Am cars (straight Gnar Gnar), musclecars, lots of Porsche 935's, just a huge variety, even a few 914's!

I hope to race in this event possibly next year.

You're right Mike, the equipment there was pretty unbelievable.

Interesting, we left the track late as Pat blew out one of phase 9's and we were scrambling to find someone to weld it back up for us. Also to find some metal to use, as we had a 3" by 3" hole to fill.... some metal must have dropped off during the race. Anyway when we left, the Audi Union was still just sitting there, like they were going to just cover it up and leave it out all night. huh.gif

Click to view attachment

Sure is fun to see all those expensive cars just tearing around the track.

One of my favorites of the day was the "smaller" Can Am car with the BMW 4. I'm not sure where he started, but he ended up 4th, around some very fast equipment. Only 300HP, but well set up. First time I've seen that car.

Click to view attachment

The last race, with my friend Pat Costin was excellent, with the Monza V-8 taking the lead from the fast 935's, at least for a bit, before the 935's regaining the lead.

I thought Pat did great taking 4th in that race with as many 935's in back of him as in front. They have just a slight HP advantage. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Randal
OH, and seeing Scrab 001 was pretty special. This was Lance Reventlow's first Scarab - your looking at the car that started the whole European / USA race car thing. Like before the birth of the Cobra and GT 40.

Real History.

I saw this car race in Palm Springs, when I was kid.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.