Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 356 dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment

This is the carving of the tool to stamp the 356 dashes that once covered in vinyl fit onto the top of the unibody dash panel. The same guy who makes all of our 914 rust repair panels is making these parts. We found that when looking around for a replacement for a customer's car that they were unobtainable in any condition, and that many of the people we called actually needed them! So we jumped on making them. As with many of our parts it will probably be a long time until we cover the tooling costs, but at least another quality part is added to the aftermarket that Porsche will never make again!
GeorgeRud
I think the real shame is that the manufacturers do not try to keep these old dies. I'm sure there is a bunch of tooling that is worn out and would not produce parts, but I can't help but think that there is a small aftermarket that could be maintained by recycling these no longer desired dies. Thanks for taking the effort (and the sizeable expense) to produce these parts.

Porsche used to be proud of the fact that they would provide parts for their products, but those days are long gone.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
dead on with your post George. We have found Porsche to be discontinuing now at a rapid rate just in the last four years. Those times when they cared about their heritage and keeping their cars on the road is long gone. Too bad. That was one of the special things that kept Porsche a special car company and its buyers very loyal..

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 27 2009, 03:43 PM) *

I think the real shame is that the manufacturers do not try to keep these old dies. I'm sure there is a bunch of tooling that is worn out and would not produce parts, but I can't help but think that there is a small aftermarket that could be maintained by recycling these no longer desired dies. Thanks for taking the effort (and the sizeable expense) to produce these parts.

Porsche used to be proud of the fact that they would provide parts for their products, but those days are long gone.

r_towle
George,

Rear seat pans...
rear firewalls, inner and outer.
rear cowl/fenders...ragtops

Rich
jmill
If you could always find replacement parts to fix it you wouldn't need to buy a new one. slap.gif

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable economy.
Lou W
As time goes on, you'll probably be making more and more parts for all these old cars. Thanks George beerchug.gif

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 27 2009, 04:02 PM) *

dead on with your post George. We have found Porsche to be discontinuing now at a rapid rate just in the last four years. Those times when they cared about their heritage and keeping their cars on the road is long gone. Too bad. That was one of the special things that kept Porsche a special car company and its buyers very loyal..

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 27 2009, 03:43 PM) *

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 27 2009, 05:57 PM) *

George,

Rear seat pans...
rear firewalls, inner and outer.
rear cowl/fenders...ragtops

Rich

If I had your money Rich, I would do them all!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jmill @ May 27 2009, 05:58 PM) *

If you could always find replacement parts to fix it you wouldn't need to buy a new one. slap.gif

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable economy.

yes we sure do. The tv repair shop is out of business. Porsche is taking the same position. Disposable Porsches. The new stuff is made with such cheap materials that no one is ever going to restore those cars in the future.
underthetire
Love to see someone knows how to machine steel. I love blue chips ! Old Mori Seiki mill perhaps? wub.gif
914Sixer
Pretty neat!!!!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.