Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sports Car Market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixerdon
Here's an article on 914's from Sports Car Market magazine. IMO, the same content and opinion from 40 years ago. This is read by many sports car enthusiasts. If you were reading about this 35-40 year old car for the first time, what would would your impressions be?
Thoughts?
Don
http://www.sportscarmarket.com/AffordableC...ics/2008/March/
GreatPumpkin
i think it sounds good i would get one ....oops i already have one lol-2.gif
r_towle
its all fairly accurate except the engine rebuild price of 2k....he is assuming the heads are perfect...

Rich
smg914
I like the last sentence in the article... Might I suggest Tangerine and tan?

Hmmm, I guess I've got the colors they suggest covered as long as you consider Sahara Beige in the tan family.
KELTY360
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 29 2009, 02:48 PM) *

its all fairly accurate except the engine rebuild price of 2k....he is assuming the heads are perfect...

Rich

They also list the first year of the 2.0L-4 as 1974 instead of '73.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(esses62 @ May 29 2009, 07:57 PM) *

I'll take a tangerine one shades.gif

I'd love a viper green six!! huh.gif

That was a very enjoyable read Don, thanks for posting. I think 914s are aging remarkably well. Every time I pull up somewhere in my car, people want to know more about it...and at the same time "everyone" knows it's a joint VW-Porsche venture. Funny. Still, I can't look at a 914 and fully understand the distaste that so many critics (or the population at large) had/have for the styling. I guess it was such a radical departure from traditional Porsche styling that people just couldn't wrap their heads around it. These days though...they turn heads. The one show I put my car in, I was amazed at the interest people had for this little thing parked amoungst ferraris, maserattis and lamborghinis. I sort of expected to be scoffed at, but found the general sentiment was very much the opposite. Cool.

I've only been "into" these cars for 5 years, but in that time we've really seen prices come up. When I bought my '74 2.0, $8k was definitely on the higher end of the scale as far as price. Now? Twice that isn't ridiculous.

Aging well, for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Reid

edit: had this last thought: I believe it's the styling that everyone despised early on that makes the car look so good today. Kind of ironic.
GeorgeRud
It surely beats the depreciation on a new Porsche (any model)! Most bang for your buck in my book!
cwpeden
Hey, Thats my car! At parade in Portland 2006.

see pic: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=100521

I'm famous! cheer.gif

Thats my buddies pristeen LE in the back and a very original six in front
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(cwpeden @ May 30 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Thats my buddies pristeen LE in the back and a very original six in front

Hey Conrad...I just checked...thats Carl L's Bumblebee...he bought it from me and then went through it...all the 914s up in BC seem to be pristine...! I assume you also know Ernie Kowal too? I kere there may be another Bumblebee that made it up there recently? Give my best to Ernie and Carl for me next time you see them.
cwpeden
Hey Jeff,

Yup, Carl's is a bit of a garage queen right now. He's working on a vintage racer.

I've known Ernie for going on 15 years now.

Yes , we now have 3 Bumblebees in town. I'll be seeing them on Thursday will say hi.

Conrad

Thats me in the middle(see pic below)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=100518
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.