Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spring in my step
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im looking at buying some springs and shocks. The springs have one green mark on them.. What does this mean?

IM looking to go with 140's..

Andrew
Mueller
. The springs have one green mark on them.. What does this mean?

unless you know who made them.....the green mark means nothing......

you have a few options:
find an online spring calculator,
buy brand new springs,
test them with a spring tester,
or
stack (carefully) known weights on the spring, when it compresses to 1", you'll know the value
sechszylinder
hilow,

original 914 springs are marked with green or red dots which characterise the stiffness.

green dots have the following meaning:

1 dot 220-227 kp
2 dots 227-233 kp
3 dots 233-240 kp

The lenght of the spring is 239 mm.

Older springs (before 72) are marked with red dots with the same values for the spring rate but they are 10mm shorter.

benno
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Mar 3 2004, 02:15 AM)
benno

great info benno,

but now you have all the americans wondering what the heck "kp" stands for. laugh.gif

Andy
Andyrew
Yaa.... so what does that equal in lbs?

unsure.gif
Mueller
Yaa.... so what does that equal in lbs?

When I did the conversion I must have screwed something up, I came up with springs in the 500lb range????

KP*8.91=newtons (something odd like that???)

Anyways.....read my 1st response Andrew....unless the springs are factory these numbers don't mean a thing...even if they are factory, I'm pretty sure Porsche did not equip our cars with 140 lb springs

There is no "standard" amongst spring manufactures on what color spring/dot/line or whatever marking is stamped.

Measure the springs, it's the only 100% proven method of knowing what rate they are.
Andyrew
Gotcha. I'll do that, Just wanted to see what they where before I bought them.. Oh well!

Andrew

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.