Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: control arms? trailing arm? ya know that thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6freak
Will the lower control arm? trailing arm? off that scrape car im parting work (after rebuild of course) on my factory-6 ? so i can send them off have them rebuild and just pull the old one out and slap the rebuilds in ......Scrape car is a early1974 - 4 and mine is a 1970-6....Thanks for any help

Mike
Lavanaut
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 1 2009, 08:13 AM) *

Will the lower control arm? trailing arm? off that scrape car im parting work (after rebuild of course) on my factory-6 ? so i can send them off have them rebuild and just pull the old one out and slap the rebuilds in ......Scrape car is a early1974 - 4 and mine is a 1970-6....Thanks for any help

Mike

Wrong forum Mike, but I believe the answer is "yes".

Reid
6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 1 2009, 08:18 AM) *

Mike

Wrong forum Mike, but I believe the answer is "yes".

Reid

headbang.gif Sorry i didnt think about that part
Gint
If you're talking about the control arms (I can't really tell what you're talking about for sure), I thought there was at least one subtle difference in the 6 and 4 control arms. CRS won't allow me to recall exactly what it is though.

Anybody? Moved to the garage. icon_bump.gif
jt914-6
To use the lower control arms on the '70 you'll have to use the '70 ball joint. They are different between the '70 & '74.
Lavanaut

so i can send them off have them rebuild and just pull the old one out and slap the rebuilds in

Mike, out of curiosity, what is there to rebuild as far as a trailing arm goes? New bushings? confused24.gif
Randal

If you are talking about the rear trailing arms suggest you look at Chris Foley's stuff at:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/suspension....Trailing%20Arms

He is an advertiser here, a poster here and does excellant work.

He did the total trick on my trailing arms and they came back straight and totally reinforced.

Really nice work.
Richard Casto
torsion bar spline count on the 914/4 is different than 911. So if you mix and match 914/4 with 911 you must use a torsion bar that is made for that arm (spline count). I can't remember if spline count for the 914/6 matches the 914/4 or the 911. PET diagram should show if the 914/6 part is the same as the 911 part.
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ Jun 1 2009, 12:01 PM) *

If you are talking about the rear trailing arms suggest you look at Chris Foley's stuff at:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/suspension....Trailing%20Arms

He is an advertiser here, a poster here and does excellant work.

He did the total trick on my trailing arms and they came back straight and totally reinforced.

Really nice work.

yup thats what im talk`n bout .. but with out the stiffning and will the two interchange from 4 to 6 cars Maybe i`ll just give him a ring Im sure he will know..Thanks to everyone for the help
Mike
Richard Casto
It is confusing as to what the OP is asking. Are we talking about front suspension (a-arm) or rear suspension (trailing arm)?
6freak
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jun 1 2009, 12:22 PM) *

It is confusing as to what the OP is asking. Are we talking about front suspension (a-arm) or rear suspension (trailing arm)?

Trailing arm ....just could remember what its called ..Im on the right road now
Gint
It's also confusing because 914 rear trailing arms are also control arms. wink.gif

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure there is a subtle difference between 4 and 6 trailing arms. I think it's the e-brake mount, but I'm not 100% certain.
6freak
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 1 2009, 02:27 PM) *

It's also confusing because 914 rear trailing arms are also control arms. wink.gif

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure there is a subtle difference between 4 and 6 trailing arms. I think it's the e-brake mount, but I'm not 100% certain.

so i was right piratenanner.gif that dont happen to much..LOL
Gint
Where's that shea-guy Click to view attachment when you need him?
6freak
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 1 2009, 02:43 PM) *

4 real`s
ChrisFoley
The arms themselves are the same.
Differences were in bolt-on components:
the brake calipers - sixes have bigger pistons;
the hubs/rotors - sixes have 5 lugs, not 4 bolts.

BTW, the stiffening on my refurbished trailing arms is lightweight and comes at no extra charge along with the straightening, powdercoating, new bearings, new bushings, and new pivot shafts. smile.gif
Larry.Hubby
I believe the trailing arms are the same on the 914 for all years and models (there are, of course, different left side and right side parts). At least, PET shows the same part numbers for the left and right arms of all years and models.
JRust
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 1 2009, 02:47 PM) *

4 real`s

Mike I think you should get them done no matter what. I know if they didn't work for you? I could get them from you cheap later beer.gif
6freak
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 1 2009, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 1 2009, 02:47 PM) *

4 real`s

Mike I think you should get them done no matter what. I know if they didn't work for you? I could get them from you cheap later beer.gif

fur sure buddy ..I was just hope`n to get a set rebuilt so the car wont sit to long..kind of a pull the parts and put the new one`s in the same day..If she sits on the JS`s too long she gets an attitude
6freak
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 1 2009, 08:25 PM) *

BTW, the stiffening on my refurbished trailing arms is lightweight and comes at no extra charge along with the straightening, powdercoating, new bearings, new bushings, and new pivot shafts. smile.gif

Hello Chris! so your saying that I can take the set off the four banger have them rebuilt and then just bolt it up to my 6 and everything else will bolt right on...I dont want the stiffening part just the powdercoat, bearings , bushings and shafts..and zerks ..I will give you a call soon thanks

Mike Crandall
JFJ914
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 2 2009, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 1 2009, 08:25 PM) *

Hello Chris! so your saying that I can take the set off the four banger have them rebuilt and then just bolt it up to my 6 and everything else will bolt right on...I dont want the stiffening part just the powdercoat, bearings , bushings and shafts..and zerks ..I will give you a call soon thanks

Mike Crandall

The rear brake hose hole on the -6 and early -4 are smaller and use a 911 hose and mounting hardware. the 74 uses a vw hose and vw mounting hardware. Both are the same at the body. One of the -6 arms has a bracket on it to support one of the oil hoses. Get the -6's rebuilt and keep it original.
6freak
I was just kinda look`n for a quike turn around .In and out of the shop .I will have to be one of the winter projects if i keep it all real ...but thats ok to. it give me something to look forward to this winter and while its on JS i will do the front as well
McMark
Late 914 trailing arms have a slot in the brake line bracket to allow the brake system to be separated from the tailing arm without cracking open the lines. Early 914 arms (including 914/6) have a brake line bracket that is completely circular, so in order to remove the trailing arm, you have to crack open the brake system.

They are interchangeable and I'd bet money that even the most thorough concours will not pick up on that subtlety.
Eric_Shea
Early 4 and 6 are the same:

-Round hole brake line as Mark mentions
-Extra tab welded on to accomodate the -6 flapper box cable.

Late 4 are slightly different:

-Slot line holder as Mark mentions
-No extra tab for -6 stuff

Search is your friend. I've posted pictures of the differences in the past. I have a pair of each in stock and powdercoated, ready for fresh bearings.
6freak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 3 2009, 06:58 PM) *

Early 4 and 6 are the same:

-Round hole brake line as Mark mentions
-Extra tab welded on to accomodate the -6 flapper box cable.

Late 4 are slightly different:

-Slot line holder as Mark mentions
-No extra tab for -6 stuff

Search is your friend. I've posted pictures of the differences in the past. I have a pair of each in stock and powdercoated, ready for fresh bearings.

OK sounds like i have the answer i need ...Now who`s gonna give me the best price? or maybe do some horse trading...I have complete suspention under a early 74 ID stamped 12-73 it all there except right rear caliper..just send me a PM if interested...Hope i`m not breaking any rules! Asking about trading and all Thanks to all that replied
Mike Crandall
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.