Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zora is Home!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! Picked up the little darlin' yesterday. Kinda like a 914 rearended by a deuce coupe and reassembled by oompa loompas.

Think I got a deal. Everything is new, but American hot rod tech rather than Porsche. Will probably get drummed out of the club for saying this, but combo really works.

Will post lots of pics and details and questions, but first.. stock final drive ratio is all off for this engine (3500rpm gets you 65). Taller ratios available?
Bleyseng
Brad has posted about this several times, about what ratios to use. Maybe flipping another gear into the 5th slot to get the ratio way down.

Geoff
djm914-6
Lets see them pics
Ferg
Is this the white one that was just on ebay with the solid centerline wheels?
Chris H.
I knew that was a good deal! It looked so clean. Nice purchase Howard. Sometime you have to take that e-bay risk! Now to business......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
nebreitling
damn, try to keep it under 170

congrats, and WE NEED MORE PICS!!
airsix
If this car was built for the Silver State Challenge the builder obviously wasn't done with the project if it's still got a stock 5th gear! It does sound like a cool car by the way.

That reminds me, I think the club needs to do a project... a team entry to win something big like the Silver State Challenge, Road & Track skidpad challenge (if they still do it), the GRM $2004 challenge (or whatever they call it), or something cool like that. Ohhh! I know, how about a 2000cc land-speed record (which would of course require the assistance of Jake Raby)

-Ben M.
Howard
yup, its the ebay car. here is the link if you didn't see it.

I volunteer the car for club project but don't think I have the guts to drive it Silver State. Got Cojones?

More pic's WILL follow, but this damn work gets in the way. So only way to change final drive ratio is trans gears? Not just overall final drive?
d914
I'd check tha speedo out with those big tires on the back.... That might be 75 mph
fiid
We could do a bid for the 12 hours of thunderhill or one of the more crazy open races...
Howard
No worries, speedo doesn't work laugh.gif But you're pretty close. With stock gears and this radius tire 5000 rpm=100mph. But the acceleration is quick enough to tighten my disposition!
fiid
Damn - I remember this car.

I liked "Schitz and Giglz" :-)
Demick
If the final drive is stock, why would the RPM's be so high? Stock final drive (and stock diameter tires) produces around 95-100mph at 4000rpm. With those big diameter rear tires, you should get 110-120mph at 4000rpm.

Demick
Howard
As big as these tires are, their rolling diameter is smaller than originals. Near as I can figure, the stock tire was ~165/83/15. Tall!

Sure I will learn more in the next few days.
John2kx
Howard,

Just for reference, my v8 with pretty close to stock dia. tires (205/55/16) and stock 901 spins:

2850 rpm @ 70 MPH
3225 rpm @ 80 MPH
3600 rpm @ 90 MPH
4100 rpm @ 100 MPH
4850 rpm @ 120 MPH

John
John2kx
Howard,

From the pictures, the rear tires actually look larger in dia. than stock. What size are you running in rear? Or, if you have a tape measure, how tall are they?

Mine are 24 1/4" tall.

Do you have history on who performed tach recalibration? If you have one designed for v8 or some other measuring device, you could easily test without replacing what you have. Just piggy back off coil and perform a test from idle to 3-4000 rpm in your driveway.

Just for kicks, I borrowed a GPS and was surprised to find the speedometer was almost dead on throughout the range tested.

John
Howard
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

John, rear tires are 265/50/15. Will measure actual height when I get home. Blew a fuse on the way home and all dash instruments quit, so going by ear. Will fix and advise, but sounds like revs in that range moving with hwy traffic. And have a feeling I will be bugging you for lots more info.

Will try to bag GPS.
Brett W
The 265-50/15 is about 25.5 inches tall. This would be a new not worn diameter. Of course with a bad ass V8 those back tires better be worn.
John2kx
Henry,

Your running taller tires than mine (24.9" vs. 25.4) per my tire calculator using new tires. I'm pointing at the tach. There is just too much difference in rpm between our setup........and your running taller tires.

John
Howard
My rear's are 25.5ish. Get the electrical working so will check in a bit. According to the tire estimator, this rolling radius is within 3% of stock, so speedo should be pretty close. Will check after dinner. Oh, and here's a pic showing how to eiminate, once and for all, the hell hole problem. Amputate! That's the garage floor where the hole used to be.
boxstr
Removal did not comprimise the structural integrity?? Anyone know.
CCLINLO
Great looking car Howard.
FlatSix
Howard,

Congratulations on your new purchase.

That looks a little scary for a ride around those canyons! ohmy.gif

I look forward to reading about your adventures on this board.

Best wishes to your family,

Andy
Howard
Boxstr.. looks ok, crossbracing added. The longs are intact, of course, and just sheet metal removed. Doors open and close easily, no apparent sag. All done professionally, but will have it checked by someone who really knows their stuff before I try anything tricky. PO says engine only has 300 miles on, so high speed work isn't in the cards yet.

Was thinking about Otto's, but after that pissing contest, I am a bit concerned. Open for opinions. but will probably offer Brad some $$ to fly down and pass judgement.

Andy, really felt bad about your not having a 914 to drive while you were here, and knew the 4 was not great for you six owners, so this is really for you driving.gif
Come on back for the summer meet.
seanery
Howard, if you want someone local run out to North Hollywood and talk to Dave B. at TRE.
jridder
Nice looking car, but what the hell is that thing on the back? Is it an air brake or just a "total rear vision obstructor"?
FlatSix
Andy, really felt bad about your not having a 914 to drive while you were here, and knew the 4 was not great for you six owners, so this is really for you

Howard,

Your four was just fine. Being there, in California, in a 914 with good company was all I could ask for.

You didn't need to buy another car on my behalf. But now you've bought it maybe I should start thinking about another trip... cool.gif

Best wishes,
Andy
rhodyguy
$9495. somebody took a long bath on that car. you did well. i imagine the engine exspenses were that much atleast.

kevin
Howard
Kevin, going through receipts you're just about right. I have absolutely no use for this thing, but couldn't resist. Shelby Club is having an open track day next month so figure to go just to irritate them (Porsche+Chevrolet=SnakeKiller)

And, smartass jridder, rear table seats 4 for wine and cheese parties. Really looks hot with candleabra and good china.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.