Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Ebay boxster scam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
So I saw this car on ebay, and thought to good to be true, but worth an email...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2464286333

This is the text of the email I got back.

Hello there,
let me tell you about the car you want to bid and about me.
I live in Netherlands and the car is here too.
The price include shipping and handling.
It will de delivered with Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured in 5 days from the departure.(for USA and international for 4-6 days).Will be delivered in best conditions.
All the manuals for the car and the original documentation are in English.Are made for US market and have US specs on it (speedometer in miles). You will receive this along with all papers and recipts that you need to register it in your name.
You will receive the TITLE,keys,owner manual...
It has a Clear Title and all are in Showroom Condition.
Again,there are no other fees and charges just the price.
The car: excellent condition,5 years transferable warranty left on it.
I mean you can go to any authorized service center and you will be provided with free professional assistance concerning whatever problems you may have.In order for you to receive such an assistance I will send you along with the product all the necessary documents, including an invoice with your name on it as "the buyer".
No damages,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects,clear title, and it is as advertised,it passed the test emissions and comes with all the documents you need to register the car.
The price for this car is US $15000 with shipping and handling charges included.The title is clear and in my possession so we can close the transaction as soon as funds are transfered.
If you want to be approved you have to send the deposit of 10% first via Wire Transfer because it's the best way to handle an international deal like this..After the deposit is received i will ship the car to any location you wish.
You will test it 2 weeks. 2 weeks later you can contact me and ship the car back to me i you dont like it. But you will suport 25% from the shipping charges when you will ship it back to me.
And if you decide yo keep the car then you will send the remaining ballance to me via Cashier Check or Money Order or Wire Transfer or Credit Card or Paypal.
If you agree the terms,we can get this deal moving.
I apreciate a faster reply by your side.

Scam in a big way NO? mad.gif
Joe Bob
RUN AWAY....
Rockaria
We should have one of our friends in the Netherlands call and ask to come pick it up?

That should smoke out the "Deal!" fast... ph34r.gif
Ferg
Yep, for sure. Pic's of the car clearly show it in the U.S. I doubt all those american cars in the background are in the netherlands... What a joke, they are getting bold though.
How does he get such a postive E-bay rating? think he's just getting into the scam business now? man I dont think I'll ever buy on-line again after seeing all of this shit
Demick
Beware of anyone who has a $50,000 car and still cannot figure out how to spell it's name.

Demick
VegasRacer
This is the first listing to sell something for this ID. The have only bought some kid stuff before. I think it is probably a hijacked account.
jonwatts
Someone call the police in the Netherlands. They obviously haven't caught all the Nigerians yet.
Ferg
shit here's another

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=10156
Rockaria
The first item listed in this post was deleted???? Hmmm....

Starsky and Hutch are on the job!
IPB Image
STL914
If you check out his eBay feedback, his 100% rating is based soley on his being a buyer. He has neved sold anything on eBay by the looks of things.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Mar 3 2004, 09:41 AM)
The first item listed in this post was deleted???? Hmmm....

Starsky and Hutch are on the job!

Well. What do you know. Ebay actually did something. clap56.gif
I sent them an e-mail and said that I thought this was a hijacked account. ar15.gif
mike_the_man
That was quick. I sent the seller a couple of emails. Here they are:

Hi there,

That seems to be a great deal on your Boxster. I was wondering what you could tell me about it.

Thanks,

Mike Parkinson
--------------------

The reply:
Hello there,
let me tell you about the car you wannt to bid and about me. I live in Netherlands and the car is here too. The price include shipping and handling.
It will de delivered with Lufthansa Airplane Cargo insured in 5 days from the departure.(for USA and international for 4-6 days).Will be delivered
in best conditions. All the manuals for the car and the original documentation are in English.Are made for US market and have US specs on it (speedometer in miles). You will receive this along with all papers and recipts that you need to register it in your name. You will receive the TITLE,keys,owner manual...
It has a Clear Title and all are in Showroom Condition. Again,there are no other fees and charges just the price. The car: excellent condition,5 years transferable warranty left on it. I mean you can go to any authorized service center and you will be provided with free professional assistance concerning whatever problems you may
have.In order for you to receive such an assistance I will send you along with the product all the necessary documents, including an invoice with
your name on it as "the buyer". No damages,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects,clear title, and it is as advertised,it passed the test emissions and comes with all the documents you need to register the car. The price for this car is US $15000 with shipping and handling charges included.The title is clear and in my possession so we can close the
transaction as soon as funds are transfered.
If you want to be approved you have to send the deposit of 10% first via Wire Transfer because it's the best way to handle an international deal
like this..After the deposit is received i will ship the car to any location you wish. You will test it 2 weeks. 2 weeks later you can contact me and ship the car back to me i you dont like it. But you will suport 25% from the shipping charges when you will ship it back to me.
And if you decide yo keep the car then you will send the remaining ballance
to me via Cashier Check or Money Order or Wire Transfer or Credit Card or Paypal.
If you agree the terms,we can get this deal moving.
I apreciate a faster reply by your side.

I wrote back:

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize that you were in the Netherlands. I was wondering if you could answer a few more questions.
What is an American spec Boxster doing in the Netherlands? Also, the pictures provided look like they were taken in North America, as there are
many North American autos in the back ground. It says on your ebay add that the buyer pays $1000 shipping for anywhere in North America, yet in
your email you say that shipping is free. I'm a little confused by this.

The fact that the car is in the Netherlands isn't bad, though. I have a friend that also lives in the Netherlands. Where abouts are you located?
Maybe I could have my friend look over the car for me. I'm sure he would be willing, if you are not too far away. Let me know where the car is, and
I will get in touch with my friend and get him to contact you to arrange a viewing.

Thanks,

Mike Parkinson
---------------------------

Reply:

i eanted to say you have to send me $2000. one forr shipping and one for deposit. after i will get this money i will contact your friend.
mail me back

I wrote back:

I don't feel comfortable sending you money without first having my friend look over the car. Let me know where you are located, and I will put my friend in touch with you to arrange a time to look at the car. If he says that the car appears ok, then we can discuss sending a deposit. Also, I was wondering if you could provide me with some more pics of the car.

Thanks,

Mike Parkinson
-----------------------

the reply:
send $2000 via western union to your riend name and location and mail me the money transfer details and the MTCN# so i can verify. then i will ship the car and after that i will cal your friend and go with him to the western union and collect the money.

I'm afraid I don't understand. All I would like is for my friend to have a look at the car before any type of money is transferred. Is this a problem for you? $15000 is a fairly large sum of money, and I've heard of problems with this type of transaction overseas. Therefore, I would like my friend to look at the car to make sure that it is as represented in your ebay add.

Mike Parkinson

Now the post is deleted. A definate scam.
biosurfer1
ferg,
i'm not so sure about the item you showed, its 50/50 in my book. its in the US, which doesnt mean much, but it does mean you could have some recourse if something goes wrong. also, the guy actually wants you to pick up the car, would be worth a call for interested parties. he has a carfax report on the car and you have to put a contact phone number into carfax before you can do one of those. the wire transfer thing is a little weird, however, paying through paypal is out since they take 3% which is a lot of money on a car, and i know when my dad sells a car, he would prefer cash or wire transfer with all this nigerian crap going around and even cashiers checks bouncing. lastly, the car is on ebay and selling a car on ebay is different than regular items, they offer sight-unseen insurance and free fraud insurance, which is something. who knows, i could be wrong, but i have seen more obvious frauds than this, like i said, i give it 50/50. i have to say though, i agree that if they are doing this on ebay is pretty ballsy, craigslist and those places wont do anything about it but ebay will if it happens too much.
Jenny
seems odd that he'd want $2000 wired before anyone can even do a PPI on it. All we wanted was a look!

They must get some suckers every now and then to continue doing this. "All I need is one." laugh.gif

Jen
Malmz
Did a little Ebay searching.

Here is the original ad for the Speedster they farmed all the info and pictures off of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7&category=6058

sm
Rockaria
Wow, They are not even bright enough to change the ad one bit... I thought at least they could do the decency of finding a nice car at an autoshow to put up, but man, That is funny!!!!

[It's 12:00 a.m. did you know your car is up for auction on ebay? unsure.gif ]
mike_the_man
Who wants to bust him on this one? Somebody stick it to him!!!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 3 2004, 09:49 AM)
I sent them an e-mail and said that I thought this was a hijacked account.  :shoot2kill:

The reply from eBay,

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us.

I wanted to let you know that the account 'lbivenour ' you reported was
compromised and used to list unauthorized items.

As a precautionary measure, we suspended access to the account to
prevent any unauthorized activity.

We appreciate your email, and wish you the best in your eBay activity.

Regards,

Decker
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

I hate the fact that the rest of the world thinks we're so stupid that they waste our time with this crap.
mike_the_man
It's very frustrating. There are getting to be so many scams on the net, it's getting hard to trust anybody. Most of the scams are so obvious though, its hard to believe that anybody would be sucked in by them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.