Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sportscars at Barbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I drove my Signal Orange 914 to Barber Motorsport Park in Birmingham, Alabama last Saturday for the Sportscars in the Park car show.

Lots of on track action and cars on display including British, Porsche, Lotus, Mercedes and everthing in between.

In addition to this event the Mercedes Benz Club held their Heimatfest and the Lotus club had their 29th annual Lotus Owner's Gathering. There was probably 100 to 150 Lotus cars of all colors.

Here are some pictures.
rwjames
This Lotus was pretty cool. Low to the ground too.
rwjames
This 911RSR replica was beautiful and well done.
rwjames
Lotus anyone?

Yellow and orange were very popular colors.
rwjames
Yellow is faster!
rwjames
This was an odd one.

I'm no Lotus expert, but I've never seen one of these before.

Maybe Steve G. can tell us what it is.
rwjames
A very clean 356.
rwjames
Some historic race cars in attendance.
rwjames
Classic Mercedes SL's in red of course.
rwjames
Several Ferrari's in attendance, including this black Testarossa.
rwjames
A very nice 916 recreation with a 2.7 liter six.
tod914
Beautiful cars. Lotus Eclat.
rwjames
This metallic purple Lotus stood out among all the yellow and orange.
rwjames
One of my all time favorite race cars.
smg914
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jun 2 2009, 07:14 PM) *

This was an odd one.

Its a 1974-1977 Lotus Elite. It had an in line 4 cylinder engine with 140 HP. 4 valves per cylinder with dual overhead camshafts and twin Stromburgs. Steel backbone chassis with a glass fiber reinforced body.
tod914
ah, the two look very simular. I see now that the rear is abit different.
maf914
rwjames,

Thanks for the very nice selection of photos. I like Lotus cars a lot, so I enjoyed those pics.

Barber is a nice circuit. Lots of green grass and trees. I've been there twice for the Rolex series and enjoyed the track and the area. My one gripe is that the Rolex races are scheduled in July, which means almost unbearable 90+ degree temps and humidy of 90+ percent as well. Both events I attended were somewhat wet weekends and the place was like a steam sauna. Talk about sweating! Whew!

The IRL did a winter test at Barber this year and there are rumors they may schedule a race there next year. If it is in the spring, meaning better weather, then I'll probably go. I just wonder where they would put the spectators, as the Rolex event with its modest crowds fills up the viewing areas pretty well. We'll see if it happens.
Cheapsnake

This was an odd one.

That is actually a rare and exotic AMC Gremlin trying to crash the party.

Tom
effutuo101
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jun 2 2009, 08:39 PM) *

This metallic purple Lotus stood out among all the yellow and orange.

lust.
maf914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 2 2009, 08:48 PM) *

This was an odd one.

Its a 1974-1977 Lotus Elite. It had an in line 4 cylinder engine with 140 HP. 4 valves per cylinder with dual overhead camshafts and twin Stromburgs. Steel backbone chassis with a glass fiber reinforced body.

That engine, supplied by Lotus, was also used in the Jensen-Healy. It lived on in later Lotus cars, like the Esprit, in both normally aspirated and turbo versions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.