Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1974 914 2.0 in Portland, OR. runs great, looks pretty decent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
davekillen
I bought this car a few months ago and have been fixing it up. It's a strong runner that I've been using as my daily driver. I like it a lot but I'm realizing I need something a little bigger, so it's going up for sale.

It's in excellent mechanical condition and good cosmetic condition. The 2.0 engine runs very strong and I've updated it to more modern fuel injection and ignition systems (bosch LH-jetronic and a Vanagon electronic distributor, respectively). I have the original D-jetronic system if you're a masochist concerned with originality, but the new system is much simpler and more reliable. New brake pads all around and fluid recently flushed. Newer 4-tip exhaust system that sounds great. The rear bumper is from an earlier car. It has brand new carpet from 914ap, and the rest of the interior is in good shape. The dash is good and all the gauges work fine. I installed a nice old Becker Europa II radio that I modified to have an ipod in with a switch to toggle between that and the radio. Doesn't leak a drop of oil. Odometer reads about 33,000, but it was not working until I fixed it, so actual mileage is unknown.

The paint is good from 10 feet or so, with several scratches and a few dents. The biggest problem with the car is the trunk lid... someone painted a rose on it at some point, and it looks kinda goofy. I would eventually replace the entire trunk lid, as it's the only thing on the car with any rust issues, and that plus the rose would spell the end of it if I were keeping the car. It's fine as-is for now and probably for quite some time into the future, but again, I would eventually want to replace it.

The only things on the car that don't work 100% as they should are:

- turn signal switch doesn't always self-cancel
- power antenna is shot (though radio reception is fine)
- first gear synchro is worn, though as long as you don't shift into first at more than 5mph or so it's fine.

I'm asking $4300 or best offer. I've also got it up on the Portland craigslist, but not ebay or anything like that.

Feel free to ask any questions. I have many more pictures I can send via email. Reply in the thread, PM me, or email me at dave.killen@gmail.com.

thanks

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
type47
Can you post or send pix of the LH-jetronic EFI?
davesprinkle
Hey Dave, nice car. I was sitting at the Starbuck on Bybee & Milwaukie in Sellwood when you drove past a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if you saw it, but my silver 914 was parked out front.

Anyway, seems like a good price on a nice car. Good luck with the sale.
Tom_T
First comment - you'll be sorry you sold it! Garage it if you can, & get a cheap Honda Civic driver!

2nd - Question, why did you spend the money for a new carpet kit, but not get the OE Tan or Tan/Brown Speckle or Brown OE style/Repro Pile/Loop Carpet for that Tan or Brown interior?? ....just a question - not a judgment.

I think that AA & others offer tan sets.

Good Luck either way - Good Luck! shades.gif
davekillen
Hi,

I went with the grey carpet because I wanted to buy from 914ap (they're pretty close to me and the price is really good), and they seem to only offer black, grey, and camel. I wasn't sure if camel would match (I figured it'd be a lighter tan than the seats are), and it seems like Porsche used to put grey carpet in just about everything judging from the 912s I've worked on. I wasn't sure it'd look right but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I do like the car a lot but to be honest I'm kind of a project junkie. I tend to lose a little bit of interest once I've got a car sorted out. I used to just have a chevy truck that was my daily driver while the various projects filled up my driveway, but it got totaled when some jerk ran a red light a while back and smashed into me. I've got my eye on an old Jag that'd be a bit more practical (I'm sure that's the first time anyone's said that) in terms of a project / driver, so I'd like to see the 914 to to someone else who'd probably appreciate it more.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 2 2009, 09:40 PM) *

First comment - you'll be sorry you sold it! Garage it if you can, & get a cheap Honda Civic driver!

2nd - Question, why did you spend the money for a new carpet kit, but not get the OE Tan or Tan/Brown Speckle or Brown OE style/Repro Pile/Loop Carpet for that Tan or Brown interior?? ....just a question - not a judgment.

I think that AA & others offer tan sets.

Good Luck either way - Good Luck! shades.gif

davekillen
Heh, I do remember that! Your car looks fantastic. I was wondering if its owner was in the starbucks and if they saw me; small world and all that. It's been fun to see a few other 914s out and about now that the weather is nice.

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jun 2 2009, 08:45 PM) *

Hey Dave, nice car. I was sitting at the Starbuck on Bybee & Milwaukie in Sellwood when you drove past a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if you saw it, but my silver 914 was parked out front.

Anyway, seems like a good price on a nice car. Good luck with the sale.

davekillen
Sure, I'll try to take some tomorrow. It's LH 2.0 from an 83 or 84 Volvo 240 that I used. I did the same conversion on a couple of bmw 2002s in the past and I really like how simple and easy to tune it is. It was a bit more work to make it work on the type 4, but with a 911 head temp sensor and a Saab TPS the rest of the Volvo stuff works great. I can write the whole thing up if people are interested, but it might take me a little while.

LH 2.2 from an 85 - 87 240 will work too and is actually a little better, because it lets you set the CO using a 12v LED, but the earlier system works great too and is leaps and bounds better than L or D jet (the MAF takes care of most of the data, so the system uses fewer sensors and is much harder to screw up).

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 2 2009, 08:34 PM) *

davekillen
Sure, I'll try to take some tomorrow. It's LH 2.0 from an 83 or 84 Volvo 240 that I used. I did the same conversion on a couple of bmw 2002s in the past and I really like how simple and easy to tune it is. It was a bit more work to make it work on the type 4, but with a 911 head temp sensor and a Saab TPS the rest of the Volvo stuff works great. I can write the whole thing up if people are interested, but it might take me a little while.

LH 2.2 from an 85 - 87 240 will work too and is actually a little better, because it lets you set the CO using a 12v LED, but the earlier system works great too and is leaps and bounds better than L or D jet (the MAF takes care of most of the data, so the system uses fewer sensors and is much harder to screw up).

QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 2 2009, 08:34 PM) *

Tom_T
[quote name='davekillen' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:01 PM' post='1175995']
Hi,

I went with the grey carpet because I wanted to buy from 914ap (they're pretty close to me and the price is really good), and they seem to only offer black, grey, and camel. I wasn't sure if camel would match (I figured it'd be a lighter tan than the seats are), and it seems like Porsche used to put grey carpet in just about everything judging from the 912s I've worked on. I wasn't sure it'd look right but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I do like the car a lot but to be honest I'm kind of a project junkie. I tend to lose a little bit of interest once I've got a car sorted out. I used to just have a chevy truck that was my daily driver while the various projects filled up my driveway, but it got totaled when some jerk ran a red light a while back and smashed into me. I've got my eye on an old Jag that'd be a bit more practical (I'm sure that's the first time anyone's said that) in terms of a project / driver, so I'd like to see the 914 to to someone else who'd probably appreciate it more.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I would've gone with the Camel/Tan, or searched a bit more for the US or German Carpet Kits in the wider OE color selections. My 73 2L has the Tan Seats with the 504 Tan Carpet in the chart below. I can't tell if yours is the Brown, Tan or something in between?

I found this pic below of the 74 carpet page before & saved it, but the buyer could Factory order any combo they wanted, & your 914's original sale info if still around might give that too. However, I don't have the links handy for the current sources where I'd seen them. ...but sounds like your over your brief 914 stint anyway!

Click to view attachment

That's a good one about the smash.gif J welder.gif A sawzall-smiley.gif G headbang.gif !

It's been said that - with any English Car - especially MGs, Triumphs & Jags - that you need to buy 2 or 3 - 1 to drive, while the 2nd is being towed to the shop, where the 3rd's being worked on! lol-2.gif
davekillen
bump, last attempt before I take it off the market for further improvements... $3500 firm.

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.