Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dellorto 40's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Trying to decide if I should pay the extra $$$ and get a new or newer set of dells or is it resonable to get a used set and rebuild?

Do the rebuild kits usually make the carbs run OK or is there more to it?

thanks,
dr
MJHanna
Why do you want dell vs Webers confused24.gif
machina
We are limited to 40's by production rules.

The way I understand it, dell 40's flow more like webber 44's.

dr
MarkV
Unless you can find some new old stock you can't buy new Dells. I think they quit making them sometime in the late 80's.
thesey914
There's a guy in England who had some new dells. http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/
Used Dells should be fine though and rebuild kits are available, I've even seen them on eBay.
MJHanna
You can change the ventura’s in a Weber and do the same thing. The down side on the Dell’s is that you will have to spend a bunch on jets etc. and that NO else will have any if you have to borrow a different size. I had dell’s years ago on my car… If you did not like the way it was running Tuff…. Went to Weber’s never looked back… you can even use some 911 jets on the 914 so look at the whole pic before you decided why you want dells. Where are you going to buy different jets from??? I can list a bunch of suppliers for Weber’s…. cool_shades.gif
machina
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 3 2004, 02:02 PM)
There's a guy in England who had some new dells. http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/
Used Dells should be fine though and rebuild kits are available, I've even seen them on eBay.

hey JS,

You have my car on your website. I am flattered, I guess.

dr
thesey914
Damn right it is! (twice -oops) I get inspiration by looking at other peoples cars and collected a few pics so I thought I'd make a few pages of the really nice ones.....must update it soon with some more nice 914s
machina
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 3 2004, 02:29 PM)
I get inspiration by looking at other peoples cars and collected a few pics so I thought I'd make a few pages of the really nice ones

Actually I have over 1750 images of 914's including motor, suspension, parts diag, etc. Just never posted any of it on the web.

dr
morph
i buy from gabe only here are some links for good prices on del 40s and weber 40s i buy them 10 at a time and get a great break on them. i use 36 IDFs
on a stock 1.8l and get great performance.
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBay...item=2463344359
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBay...item=2464254882
ChrisFoley
I have a set of 40 Dells for sale, with manifolds and crossbar linkage.
Haven't had time to post, or figure out my asking price yet, but I took a coupla pics.
ChrisFoley
They were on a 1.7L FProd engine, but need some work to go onto a competetive engine.
914ghost
Weber has that cool sound, kinda throaty-like.
But for my .02 I use Dell's...just because.
Thats what people say works best all around, not that anything is wrong with weber.
By my 40 DRLA's are smoooth as silk.
I need to do a bit of linkage fine tooning and I bet they're close to the F/I, seriously dood!
No lag, no hesitation, no sputtering (usually).
Better than I thought they could be.
Webers are more popular and easier to get parts for, thus a good deal.
But I can go out on a 15 degree morning and start my car and it'll idle at 700rpm with no problem.
My webers never did that.
-Bob O
MarkV
agree.gif I have Dells on my 2.0 & they work great.
cgnj
I've run both Webers and Dells. I prefer the Dells for the for the following reasons:
Many more progression ports
Right and left handed carb bodies
With the exception of floats, all the parts to rebuild them are available.
I haven't done any business with Alfa 1750 on ebay, but he has had good reviews on STF.
You can purchase them NOS. I had sticker shock. If your need a link, I can find it on my other machine and post it. Very pricey.

Carlos
Jake Raby
The Dells for Alfas are not a wise way to go unless you want to change, venturis, emulsions and basically all the set up inside the carbs... Never had great luck with them.

Dells are great carbs, just make sure they don't have progression port leakage!
914ghost
I've never bought a 'used' carb where I didn't have to go through the whole thing.
Not for a good deal anyway.
I don't trust what the P.O did .....ever.
My car runs perfect, perfect compression, great power...and I'm still paranoid about whats in the engine-it may run perfect for 10 more years and I bet when I tear it down there's somethin' screwy in there! blink.gif
If you buy a used set of carbs who care where they came from you need to go through them or you're asking for it. So, in that respect, it don't matter where the carbs orginated.
-Bob O
shoguneagle
I have run both Webers and DeLordos in the past and like them both. I probably prefer the Delordos a little better . Currentlly running a new set of Delordo's on a Lotus and have run the Webers on Alfa Romeo's. I have done dealings with Alfa 1750 on EBay and have found him to be an excellent trustworth source.

Either way you go, they are both good cards having their own limitations. Rebuilding and parts are readily available. I have a set of Weber 40 (sidedraft) that I need to rebuild so I will let you know later about availability.

Steve Hurt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.