Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monterey Historics - Porsche The Featured Marque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
If anyone is planning on attending the Monterey Historic races in August, here is a link with some information. It looks like an outside company is handling the corral and some of the events:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/

It looks like if you want to park in the corral, it's $70. I'm not sure if any club (PCA) affiliation is needed.
effutuo101
If I can get my car sorted out by then, YES! I am looking forward to it.
Michael N
I look forward to Monterey week all year. With Porsche the marque car at the historics I will be in car heaven. Fridays ticket are $50.00 (kids under 12 are FREE)and I feel the best value for racing around. I amazes me that people come from all over the world for the events in Monterey during the week in August, yet many locals have never been to the any of the events. Every year I try to take someone who has never been to the historics for the day.
70Sixter
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 3 2009, 03:08 PM) *

What?! A 914 that is NOT fully sorted! Surely you jest.
EdwardBlume
This event featuring Porsche is well worth the time and effort to attend. This is how I got my wife interested in Porsches...
effutuo101
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jun 3 2009, 01:00 PM) *

LOL! Yep. putting on some hips and curves later this week for my new skins, having the weights on the distributor sorted out and putting in electronic ignition. ah, then a quick squirt of paint and time to roll.
BMXerror
I'm making it my yearly week long vacation. Unfortunately my 914 will be hot off the track at that point and kinda tired. Also, it's not the most comfortable thing to drive for 400 miles, with the Sparco seat and race harnesses. Plus it likes to overheat on the freeway. So, I will be bringing my Eclipse, and parking on the OTHER side of the track! biggrin.gif But I'm definitely going, and I'm sure it's gonna rock! If I can hear a 917 warming up in person, that'll make the whole trip worth it! drooley.gif
Mark D.
jgara962
This will be the first time I've been to the Historics - I can't wait! driving.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 3 2009, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jun 3 2009, 01:00 PM) *

LOL! Yep. putting on some hips and curves later this week for my new skins, having the weights on the distributor sorted out and putting in electronic ignition. ah, then a quick squirt of paint and time to roll.

Chris - you make it sound so easy. Good lick with that. biggrin.gif
jcd914
I don't know if I'll have a running 914 but I will be there. I have a campsite up above the Corkscrew. Can't see a whole lot of the track from there but I get to wake up to the sounds of engines.
I try each year to go to at lest 1 event at Laguna Seca. This year I actually already bought campsites to the historics and the Sportcar Championships.

Maybe we'll cross paths.

Jim

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 3 2009, 11:06 PM) *

I don't know if I'll have a running 914 but I will be there. I have a campsite up above the Corkscrew. Can't see a whole lot of the track from there but I get to wake up to the sounds of engines.
I try each year to go to at lest 1 event at Laguna Seca. This year I actually already bought campsites to the historics and the Sportcar Championships.

Maybe we'll cross paths.

Jim

Are the campsites full? Do they have full hook ups / 30 amp?
sww914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2009, 01:39 PM) *

This event featuring Porsche is well worth the time and effort to attend. This is how I got my wife interested in Porsches...

So were you already married or did you hold off the wedding plans until after you knew that she would work out?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 4 2009, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2009, 01:39 PM) *

So were you already married or did you hold off the wedding plans until after you knew that she would work out?

We were about 100 days in at the time. grouphug.gif I planted her in the Porsche tent directed at the big screen and then let marketing do its thing...

Then we wandered out through the Porsche corral where she fell in love with 968s.
jgara962
I just registered for the Porsche corral. That was a quick $70 blink.gif I hope the free t-shirt is cool dry.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2009, 11:32 PM) *

Are the campsites full? Do they have full hook ups / 30 amp?

I don't know if all the sites are gone yet. When I got mine (Feb, I think) there were none with hook up available. I just have a marked chunk of flat asphalt.
I don't think Laguna Seca has any site with sewer hook up just water & electric. I just a small (21ft) RV but it works fine for a weekend.
If (big if here) I get a 914 on the road I'll tow it down with me.

Jim

rick 918-S
Been to the Historics twice before. Wish I could bring the Alien out for this one! dry.gif
Michael N
Only 8 more days. I am getting excited!!! drooley.gif

At the upcoming 36th Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races, held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on August 14-16, the sound of the initial stirrings of over 450 race cars will be complimented by the exquisite growl of the newest, most daring and most advanced vehicle Porsche has produced to date, the 2010 Porsche Panamera gran turismo.

"This year's Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races presents the perfect opportunity to demonstrate that Porsche's DNA, its competitive spirit and drive for perfection, runs from the very first 356, Porsche No. 1 up through today's all-new Panamera," said Detlev von Platen, President and CEO of Porsche Cars North America.

"We at Porsche are deeply honored to have been named the ‘featured marque' on this, the 61st anniversary of the very first Porsche and the North American debut of the Panamera, the very latest Porsche," added von Platen.

In addition to the 145 Porsche racers already entered by their owners, or one-third of the 450-plus field, Porsche will showcase the Panamera on the world-famous race track and will also provide display vehicles on site.

Along with the North American debut of the 2010 Panamera, four special cars with significant American connections will also be on site -- all on loan from the new Porsche Museum in Germany:

The 1960 Porsche Type 718 Formula 2 racing car, which gave Porsche its first Formula 2 world title and was driven in 1961 by Californian Dan Gurney, is making its North American debut.
The 1962 Porsche Type 804 Formula 1 racer, which was the car that brought Gurney to his French Grand Prix win that year. This car has not been in North America since the 1960s.
The 1962 Porsche Type 718 W-RS 8-cylinder Spyder, in which Gurney and Joakim Bonnier finished second at the Targa Florio in 1961, has also not been in North America for more than 40 years. In the 1960s, it was raced in the U.S. by Gurney, Bonnier and Phil Hill.
The Porsche GT1 98LM, which helped Porsche finish 1-2 at the 1998 24-hours of Le Mans event.

Porsche-sponsored activities for the fans at Laguna will include a heritage display including former and current race cars, Porsche's current showroom product line, and experts to answer Porsche questions. Porsche Motorsport North America, the racing arm of Porsche in the U.S., will also showcase its engine and chassis services for both professional and club/vintage racing, while the Porsche Club of America expects to have more than 400 Porsches in its club corral and will parade all its cars on the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
jgara962
Got my ticket and am expecting my Porsche corral pass to show up this week. Can't wait piratenanner.gif
Chevota79
I'll be there however I have the back stage pass as I will be working Fire and Rescue for SCCA those days. Hopefully I wont have to see any of the high dollar cars on the back of my truck
strawman
My wife and I plan to be there, too. Of course, my car is still on the rotisserie so we'll be P-less. We're trying to decide if we wanna camp on-site or at Monterey City's kewl campground overlooking the Bay...

We'll be in a burgundy/silver 1988 Chevy Van. Stop by for a cocktail if you're around!

Geoff
jcd914
Well assuming I can come up with the ticket money I will be there. I have a campsite already, Corkscrew View site 603. I won't have my 914 (any of them) but I am considering borrowing my friend Andy's 70 914. I sold it to him and he said I can take it with me. I just have to mount my tow bar brackets and change the tow ball on my RV.
I have already invited a couple friends to stop by and have a beer and I will extend that invitation to any teeners that find themselves up the hill by the Crockscrew. My site is on upper level of the Corkscrew View sites over looking the track from the outside by turn 9. I have an old 21ft brown and white Brougham RV that I traded a 914 for.

Jim
SGB
I'm coming out for the Historics! It is a lifelong dream. See y'all at the corral (no I'm not driving the 914 from Alabama- THIS time. next year? Hmmmm).
effutuo101
I put a lot of thought into going this year. But, family took priority. I will be in Sacramento and won't be able to break away.
Have fun everybody!
jgara962
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 6 2009, 10:07 AM) *

I'm coming out for the Historics! It is a lifelong dream. See y'all at the corral (no I'm not driving the 914 from Alabama- THIS time. next year? Hmmmm).

You couldn't have picked a better year to go!

Am I going to be the only 914 in the corral confused24.gif
SGB
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:22 PM) *

Am I going to be the only 914 in the corral confused24.gif

Could be...
I saw about 3 at Sebring, but none at Lime Rock. Petit LeMans usually has 3 or 4. There seem to be fewer every year...
strawman
I just bought the 3-day pass, along with a 3-day pass for the "unimproved" camping area. We'll be in our burgundy/silver 1988 Chevy G20 Conversion van, with a blue EZ-Up shade structure parked by the side doors. Stop by for a Cap'n Morgan and Coke!

Anyone escairt of dogs should stay away, unless you wanna perish at the fangs of Ginger (our 11 lb. dachshund). Actually, she'll sit in your lap and lick your face...

Geoff and Nancy
jcd914
My wife (Mary) and I plan to head down to Monterey Thursday evening. Hopefully we get on the road early and are not setting up camp too late. I am not bringing any other vehicle other than my RV so I will be hanging out in camp in the evenings.
With several 914world members attending should we attempt to meet up?
Anyone that is interested in meeting we could PM cell phone numbers or something. Laguna Seca is a big place and it is not easy to find someone without specifics locations.

Jim

carreraguy
Definitely coming!
Will have the 911 in the corral on Saturday and the 914 in the corral on Sunday plus driving it for the parade laps. So much to do this week its really crowding my schedule with concours, auctions, and the actual Historics races on Saturday and Sunday!
carreraguy
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 6 2009, 03:06 PM) *

I hope the free t-shirt is cool dry.gif

I believe this is the logo they're using for the "free" tee's.
Kinda wish it looked a little more "racy" considering the event. Looks like MBR PCA took the drawing from another event of theirs and just added "2009 Historics" at the bottom.... dry.gif

Click to view attachment
jgara962
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Aug 12 2009, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 6 2009, 03:06 PM) *

I hope the free t-shirt is cool dry.gif

I believe this is the logo they're using for the "free" tee's.
Kinda wish it looked a little more "racy" considering the event. Looks like MBR PCA took the drawing from another event of theirs and just added "2009 Historics" at the bottom.... dry.gif

Click to view attachment

barf.gif

Well, maybe there is something good in the goodie bag. confused24.gif

I'm leaving Napa around 6:30 on Saturday and will have my car in the corral.
Michael N
My tickets came in the mail today, wife and I have day off Friday, and the kids have a baby sitter all day. I can't wait driving.gif driving.gif
neo914-6
My buddy from LA bought me tickets, so I got him a Porsche corral pass by posting an ad on Craigslist. smile.gif

He's bringing his silver '73 911S, he owns two 914-6's too. I may bring my RENNTech powered 300TE...
jcd914
About 2hrs behind schedule but I am leaving for Monterey.

Take Care
Hope to see some of you down there.
Come have a beer.gif

Jim
sean_v8_914
I have a Porsche corral pass that I can not use. anybody want it? call me 619 341 0472.
see yall there!!!YIPPY!!!
neo914-6
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:54 AM) *

I have a Porsche corral pass that I can not use. anybody want it? call me 619 341 0472.
see yall there!!!YIPPY!!!

Anyone have an extra corral pass for Sunday???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.