Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Carpet Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scoobykvn
I just got a carpet set for my 1970, it is not concours, just a cheaper set for a non stock weekend car. I am trying to figure out the best way to install the kit. I am not planning on using any carpet padding. Should I use the weather strip adhesive method from pelican parts? Should I use spray adhesive to hold it in place? I also thought about just using velcro strips. Any help would be great. Let me know if I am dumb for not using padding.
TravisNeff
spray adhesive (3m super 77) for the carpet on the longs, and passenger front firewall, the rest just sit there (velcro could be handy here)
markb
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 3 2009, 12:01 PM) *

spray adhesive (3m super 77) for the carpet on the longs, and passenger front firewall, the rest just sit there (velcro could be handy here)

agree.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif too.

When you get to the sticky areas, follow the directions on the can and make sure the area is free of loose debris and dirt. You don't have to scrape down to the paint though.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 3 2009, 12:45 PM) *

agree.gif too.

When you get to the sticky areas, follow the directions on the can and make sure the area is free of loose debris and dirt. You don't have to scrape down to the paint though.

agree.gif three.

That is how I did my 70.

Dominic
agree.gif Don't glue down the driver / passenger floor mats (can't remember if I glued down the rear mats behind the seats??). The velcro idea sounds good for those mats.
scoobykvn
Thanks for all of the advice. I will let you all know how the velcro works out, I think I will be installing the carpet this weekend. I just have to finish up a tune up, ignition switch replacement, and install my rear bumper, then I am road worthy/legal.
TravisNeff
oh yeah, spray glue the carpet that covers the wheel wells. The tough part is the drivers side long where the ebrake recession is. You may want to spray both capret and long and wait unitl really tacky - have a method of pressing the indentation part of the carpet down.
tod914
I wouldn't glue any of it in. The longs are held in by the threshold plate screws. Maybe try Travis' suggestion with some velcro in certain spots.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 4 2009, 06:55 PM) *

I wouldn't glue any of it in. The longs are held in by the threshold plate screws. Maybe try Travis' suggestion with some velcro in certain spots.

agree.gif I didn't glue mine in, in case I want to get under there, to keep clean
scoobykvn
For a 1970 is there supposed to be anything in the passenger firewall area similar to the pedal board? Or does the carpet just go directly on the firewall? If so can someone post a picture of what is supposed to be there, besides the movable footrest.
GaroldShaffer
There is no pedal board on the passenger side. With the carpet removed you should see a foam wedge (for lack of better terms) that goes in depression where you left foot would be. Just install the carpet over teh wedge and on the foot well. I would take a pciture of mine, but the carpet is already glued in.
TravisNeff
The foam wedge is only on 72+ cars, otherwise it is all firewall.
Spoke
The carpet on the front bulkhead was held on with bondo! 5 or 6 spots of bondo mushed in between the bulkhead and carpet...never seen that before and hopefully not again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.