Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat adjuster handle -- '71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
I've got a blank canvas and want to do it right. The handle was gloss black before I sanded it, but chipped badly. Thought perhaps a PO had rattle-canned it. Not much on these cars is glossy, soooo....

Thanks,

Reid

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 4 2009, 07:05 PM) *

I've got a blank canvas and want to do it right. The handle was gloss black before I sanded it, but chipped badly. Thought perhaps a PO had rattle-canned it. Not much on these cars is glossy, soooo....

Thanks,

Reid

Click to view attachment

Don't feel so bad Reid. We have brand new factory ones in the packaging that are chipped!!! Gloss Black and due the the fact they chip easily I would have them powder painted.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 5 2009, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 4 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Thanks,

Reid

Click to view attachment

Don't feel so bad Reid. We have brand new factory ones in the packaging that are chipped!!! Gloss Black and due the the fact they chip easily I would have them powder painted.

You HAD to know this was coming.....

What has become of originality? Did the factory powder coat anything? I can spot powder coating a mile away. And, it looks like sh_t!

Prep the metal, prime it & put a "real" glossy black paint on it.

Jeez...powder coating? C'mon George!
Pat
tod914
I used Finish Master gloss black on my 75. Very close match. POR15 might be an option too.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 6 2009, 08:49 PM) *

I used Finish Master gloss black on my 75. Very close match. POR15 might be an option too.

I'm not enamored with POR15 for this purpose, though is DOES have its place. Too lumpy for outward appearances.

Good old primer & paint is perfect for this application. I prefer Rustoleum, but that's just me.
Pat
Jasfsmith
[/quote]

[/quote]

Powder coated?

Shame on you. <grin>
MDG
I agree with paint over powder coating; you did post the question in the Originality forum after all so you must be looking for an answer to follow suit.

If want to save a step and get better results that will last longer, once stripped to metal like in your picture, use some Black Gloss VHT (no primer required) and stick 'em in your oven for a couple of hours. Doesn't stink up the house too bad. And, if you do it when the wife isn't around, when she inquires about that odd aroma after she gets home, just shrug biggrin.gif

And you'll get the factory baked enamel look which will resist chipping much better than primer and regular paint.

BTDT - easy peasy and it works great.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 8 2009, 05:13 PM) *

I agree with paint over powder coating; you did post the question in the Originality forum after all so you must be looking for an answer to follow suit.

If want to save a step and get better results that will last longer, once stripped to metal like in your picture, use some Black Gloss VHT (no primer required) and stick 'em in your oven for a couple of hours. Doesn't stink up the house too bad. And, if you do it when the wife isn't around, when she inquires about that odd aroma after she gets home, just shrug biggrin.gif

And you'll get the factory baked enamel look which will resist chipping much better than primer and regular paint.

BTDT - easy peasy and it works great.

Good idea, and we ALL love easy peasy!
Pat

ps - NEVER, EVER us the dishwasher to clean parts! Works pretty well on many, but the other half never understands. Not like using the oven, leaves a residue. Besides, when you use the oven, you can always say that you were experimenting with the clean cycle.
Pat Garvey
[quote name='Jasfsmith' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:57 AM' post='1177936']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Powder coated?

Shame on you. <grin>
[/quote]
I am SO disappointed in you! I'll be able to spot your powder coated pieces a mile away if I ever get to compete with you. Shame!!!!
Pat
Pat Garvey
Here's what I don't understand about the adjusters - how do you chip them? I could understand if women drove the car regualarly. Jewelry ruins many cars.

But c'mon, men don't wear much jewelry, maybe a wedding band.

So, how do these things get chipped? Mine are original, with no chips.

I don't get it.
Pat
dr914@autoatlanta.com
our powder gloss is the best. I would put them next to the originals and no one could tell the difference!

[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:29 PM' post='1178277']
[quote name='Jasfsmith' date='Jun 8 2009, 08:57 AM' post='1177936']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Powder coated?

Shame on you. <grin>
[/quote]
I am SO disappointed in you! I'll be able to spot your powder coated pieces a mile away if I ever get to compete with you. Shame!!!!
Pat
[/quote]
Lavanaut
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I've got a can of Rustoleum gloss black that I'm going to try using (w/ primer). If I don't like the way it turns out I'll have it powder coated. I agree with George, gloss powder coating looks (to my untrained eye anyway) just like gloss paint.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 8 2009, 07:39 PM) *

Here's what I don't understand about the adjusters - how do you chip them?

When I went to sand the paint off, i didn't have to do much..just using my fingernail the paint flaked off in big chunks. My guess is that over time the paint starts to un-adhere from the metal, and once that happens just applying pressure will cause it to crack...and then it starts to flake off.

The question I have is, why do the guys in the originality forum have such difficulty using quotes in their messages?!? happy11.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 10 2009, 10:01 AM) *

The question I have is, why do the guys in the originality forum have such difficulty using quotes in their messages?!? happy11.gif

'cause we don't read the instruction manuals. slap.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.