Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any 914's going to Hoopa 2009?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
Hoopa is on for July 17th-19th. ANy 914's going this year?

I'll be there trying to break the FP class record in the newly developed Boxster race car. FP record last year was set by a Triumph TR6 with a 2:25 and change. I think my car can crack that with a good charge up the mountain.

I'll be there this year with a commisioned team trailer and technical support crew. Car will be running slicks which should make things fun as well. We should have a good run at the hill and hopefully come home with a hill class record this round. Would love to see a couple 914's this year too! Here is the Boxster on short little slicks.

IPB Image
DanT
Grant, how do you find the gearing running the short tire/wheel combination?

on longer courses I would think you would be in 3rd like in a 914.... smile.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 5 2009, 10:44 PM) *

I can get up around 55 to 57. Last Marina event I didnt hit redline once. Didnt hit it at De Anza. But did hit it at Marina on long straight first LPR event. Nice thing about flat torque curve of the 2.5 is it allows room in RPM for shift point. So on courses that require a shift I have some flexibility where I shift. The advantage of the huge improvement on turn exits is worth the occasional shift on fast courses. There is an ECU tweak that will allow for a litlle higher redline.

This gearing will be perfect for Hoopa. In the 914 the turns were right inbetween 1st and second and I couldnt get a fast exit. Boxster will be right in power zone.

Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 6 2009, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 5 2009, 10:44 PM) *

I can get up around 55 to 57. Last Marina event I didnt hit redline once. Didnt hit it at De Anza. But did hit it at Marina on long straight first LPR event. Nice thing about flat torque curve of the 2.5 is it allows room in RPM for shift point. So on courses that require a shift I have some flexibility where I shift. The advantage of the huge improvement on turn exits is worth the occasional shift on fast courses. There is an ECU tweak that will allow for a litlle higher redline.

This gearing will be perfect for Hoopa. In the 914 the turns were right inbetween 1st and second and I couldnt get a fast exit. Boxster will be right in power zone.

Hopefully I'll be going.... we'll see - keep a good thought.

I think the 15" wheels will really help up the hill. Driving Bill's Boxster was frustrating as all the long straights, especially the steep ones, just sucked the power out of the car. I mean no power at all.

Also the smaller wheels might help you between 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 (don't have a map handy) where it is really steep, you're hitting redline and the next gear will just bog.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.