Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove the white plastic tubing...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

From inside the throttle cable tube??

I'm stumped.

There's nothing peaking out. I made an access panel. I tried to remove a little of the tube, exposing some plastic. It just breaks. The thing is jammed.

At least I got the cable out. Ho hum...
URY914
Don't remove the white plastic sleeve.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 5 2009, 05:43 PM) *

Don't remove the white plastic sleeve.

shades.gif Huh? confused24.gif The new cable has a new plastic sleeve. Didn't Ron just go through this? idea.gif
URY914
I was thinking you mean the white plastic sleeve around the actual cable not the tube.
rick 918-S
Did the peddle end shear off? Did you try to slide a #9 tie wire through the plastic sheathing, put a knot on the end, and pull it out?
914_teener
Man.... this problem is starting to concern me.....

Send some pictures so I can understand so this doesn't happen to me.

See the attachment of the recent thread and "saga"
McMark
I made an access panel.

Eeeeek! yikes.gif
kpfoten
The condition of the car merited an access panel... smile.gif After seeing the condition of the floor/tunnel, I'm ready for a Southwest donor!!

Here's what I found and hope this helps for anyone else having a problem. Unfortunately I don't have pics...

From the small access panel (see previous thread for location--front of the shifter), I found where the cable comes out of the tubing. Then, I bought a 3/16" rod, cut about 4-5" in length, and tapped it into the tube (thus tapping the plastic sheath out the engine side). Then I was able to remove the tube!

My struggle wasn't over, however--I noticed that the tube was kinked in a certain location (probably why my cable was sticking?). I tried running the new tube through but was unsuccessful--there was a dead stop. I took the old cable and located the general area of where the stop was--I could see it just rear of where the defrost lever was (I took this out to look). It was rusted and I could see pinpoints and noticed that the tube had rusted so bad it was warped!

From underneath the car, I cut (dremel) another small ACCESS PANEL smile.gif through the rusty floor, surgically removed the segment of rusted tube, and ran the new cable through. I used some hose/clamps to seal of the rest of the tube.

I'm back in business. I feel like I just performed some sort of cardiac bypass surgery... smile.gif

Note: I realize the underbelly of my teener is shot, and I apologize for cutting 2 small windows for those purists out there... Perhaps you'll all forgive me....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.