Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Glass Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatW
icon14.gif Ok, I'm sure this topic had been discussed before. The windshield glass on my 914 looks like S*it, and the chrome molding is starting to come loose. HPH will do me a new PPG windshield and pop it in for 350$ish and sounds like a fair price however.
I've heard plenty of bad things about the PPG replacements. Whats a fair price should I expect to pay for a replacement?. Is PPG a viable replacement or what?.

I need educatin. Please enlightin me.

Pat
Brad Roberts
I'm curious to know what you heard bad about the PPG's ??

I think I have met a total of 4 people over 16 years that have bought an OE windshield and they where all concourse guy's.

HPH has a guy who has been installing his windshields for about 10 years. You should'nt have a problem.

Ask Rich for a "914club" discount and see if he will come off of the price a little more. 350$ installled isnt bad. The glass has been expensive lately.

B
drew365
Brad; do you know anyone using the polycarbonate windshield sold by Hoer-Racing products. They say it's 250 times stronger than OE and 1/2 the weight. Do you know if it's legal for a track car?
PatW
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 1 2003, 09:17 AM)
I'm curious to know what you heard bad about the PPG's ??

Some folks I've talked to on their "other cars" have had some problems with the PPG windshields. Such as popping out of the seems and the glass cracking but, that was some time ago. One guy I met last year during a bk-fast (I think it was Tony?) with the 70 black 2.0 swore he had bad luck with the PPGs.

Think I'll eventually go to HPH. I want to be a smart shopper before I plunk my $$
-_-
Pat
jonwatts
QUOTE(drew365 @ Apr 1 2003, 10:46 AM)
Brad; do you know anyone using the polycarbonate windshield sold by Hoer-Racing products. They say it's 250 times stronger than OE and 1/2 the weight. Do you know if it's legal for a track car?

Do you have prices for the polycarbonate that Hoerr sells? I don't have their catalog and their website is less than useful. I believe GT Racing sells the windshield for about $550.
drew365
My Hoerr Racing catalog shows three windshield choices, 3/16" clear $365, 3/16" tinted $405, 1/4" thick $395. Doesn't say if the 1/4" is clear. How do these thicknesses compare to stock and will the stock gasket fit right?
jonwatts
I believe stock glass is close to 1/4" and that 1/4" is what racers use. I have a windshield in my garage I could measure tonight. Depending on where you live you could go thicker. Andy lives in Oakland so I would recommend 1" thick as it's bulletproof. tongue.gif
anthony
The previous owner of my car had a PPG installed. I see no problem with it. It was pretty nice to have a fresh windshield installed on my new to me 29 year old 914.
Dave_Darling
As someone who has polycarb hanging off of their face every single day, allow me to add my opinion:

Don't use it as a windshield. Definitely not on a street car.

Why? Because it gets scratches in it if you look at it crosseyed. (Which sucks in a pair of glasses. laugh.gif ) OK, you actually have to have something touch the lens. But "something" in this case can be a paper towel. And yes, the lenses are coated in a scratch-resistant coating.

On a street car, this means that every swipe of the windshield wipers will haze the window. It might take five or even ten swipes to have a noticeable effect. So that's about 15 seconds of driving in the rain...

A track car that gets towed in an open trailer will probably have noticeable flaws by the time it gets to its first event. At least, if the track is more than three hours away... A cover will, of course, haze up the entire windshield in an hour or less.

A track car that is towed in an enclosed trailer would be fine. Just budget for an annual replacement of the windshield.

OK, I am exaggerating--a bit--above. But I don't really think polycarb is a great material for a windshield. A Ginther-style shorty windscreen, hell yeah! Glasses, OK. (Real glass in my prescription would be thick.) But not a real windshield, at least not for most 914 folks.

--DD
drew365
Thanks Dave; you always seem to be there with the insight that counts. My friend is ordering one. He trailers his car enclosed as I do. I'll keep an eye on how long his lasts and if the weight savings is worth it.
Dave Cawdrey
On a similar note-

Anyone know where to get a real "SEAL" for the ws? I want to do away w/ the bear shit (butul tape), and chrome trim. Seen it somewhere confused24.gif
vortrex
check out this thread korijo.

windshield seal
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 1 2003, 09:17 PM)
check out this thread korijo.

<a href=http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=84420&highlight=windshield+seal> windshield seal</a>

Nice... Thought i seen it before blink.gif

Thanks Vortex
Dave_Darling
Note that you'll still need the "bear shit" to actually hold the windshield in. The 914 just isn't set up for the modern "seal holds the WS in" deal, so you have to glue it in. You can fit the more modern stuff around the WS, which eliminates the chrome trim, but you still have to glue the sucker to the car...

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 1 2003, 05:31 PM)
Andy lives in Oakland so I would recommend 1" thick as it's bulletproof.

naaa, wouldn't help. they usually shoot through the side window while passing you ...
Lawrence
Here's a windshield question:

Are there aftermarket windshields that are "all clear"? Last time I looked for an untinted unit, I was told the only source was the dealer.

-Rusty
URY914
I have a ws if anyone needs it.
But I'm in Florida and it would be a bitch to crate and ship.
I need to get rid of it before I break it.
bhfast
URY,
how much do you want for it? I'm in daytona
Brian biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE(PatW @ Apr 1 2003, 07:08 AM)
I've heard plenty of bad things about the PPG replacements

I think that was true about 10 to 15 years ago, but it seems that PPG has changed the glass and it is no longer a problem. The deal was that the glass was too wide, and it would butt up against the plastic clips that hold the molding. Not only would the molding not install, but the glass could break from the side pressure (happened to me).
URY914
$100 and I can meet you in Orlando tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.